Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

’52 Reissue Neck Fails...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by srmd22, Sep 29, 2013.

1. srmd22

srmd22 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2013
    USA
    @ benhenny - thanks, that is reassuring! Hope it's true!

@ jkrischan - because I don't know where to get one - can they be obtained at a reasonable cost, and if so, where? Thanks!

2. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    I see them on eBay parted out frequently, a quick search including completed sold listings should give you a good idea

3. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    Just checked none for sale at the moment, they have been going between $400- $800 with tuners. Not sure what your budget is, seems a little overpriced to me, what are the prices for misikraft and the other aftermarket necks? If it was me I would want s Fender neck on there but it looks like your really gonna pay for it.

4. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2010
    Toronto, Ontario.
    Ditto. Totally love the neck on mine.

5. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    I have nothing but good to say about USA Custom Guitars and will use them for all my builds.

I would use Guitar Mill or Musikraft before Warmoth.

I just bought a really nice 2 piece Paulownia body blank from Guitar Mill.

I recommend USACG because of their workmanship and customer service.

You can get a 1 Piece tele neck from USACG for 250 dollars.

80-100 dollars for a finish.

Then all it needs it tuning gears string tree a nut and the holes drilled in the neck for proper fit.

I would not have the holes pre drilled. But it would probably be ok.
    USACG will not cut a nut as they feel it needs to be done when the neck goes on.

Many do cut nuts but I think USACG is correct to do it when the neck goes on for best setup.

My USACG neck didn't need any fret attention. some MAY.

For 450 dollars you can have as good of a neck as money can buy.

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

They aren't popping up on eBay like they use to.. Stratosphere use to always have a few 52 Hot Rods parted out. Wonder if Fender had anything to do with it? Seems his inventory has been getting lighter ever since Fender started selling bodies & necks.

7. xtrajerry

+1

My barnbuster has a USACG neck.. Out of the 2 dozen guitars I own that's probably has the most stable neck. Another reason I'd deal with USACG first is that they don't have outrageous upcharges if you want something special.

8. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I love my '52 neck, but can completely understand folks may not like the radius or tiny frets. If it were me, I'd sell the guitar intact and buy a Hot Rod '52 or other Tele with a neck you like.

9. srmd22

srmd22 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2013
    USA
    Haven't seen too many Hot Rods around my neck of the woods for sale (actually, not any). Guess I could to it sight unseen online, but that's not my favorite way to go. I'll have to take a closer look at USACG.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I priced a neck I wanted at a couple of different custom makers...

easily 300 bucks to get what I wanted.

Decent quality aint cheap.

I ended up spending 200 more and getting a new guitar.

11. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California

12. xtrajerry

13. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    +1 on the ( 0- none upcharge on my build ) upcharges.

I had a neck made last year and I supplied the wood. ( no upcharge for self supplied wood )

A supplied a roasted/torrified flame maple neck blank and an African blackwood fretboard blank.

USACG did not charge me any extra for self supplied wood.

They just charged me the base price of a neck they would have cut from their own wood... And Also I may Add.....

Warmoth wanted to charge me for Using My Own Wood and was going to charge Top Dollar and base the cost of using my own wood on the most expensive wood options availavle from them

Warmoth wanted 425.00 U S Dollars to use my own wood.

25 inspection fee and 400 for my own blanks..

Then they wanted another 400 dollars to construct the neck !!!!!!!

That also included a clear satin nitro finish.

So 800 U. S. Dollars for a Warmoth neck the way I wanted it.

Also Warmoth would not cut the nut to a TRUE 1 5/8... 1.625.... which is what most ALL of the original PRE CBS strats and teles Have and had until 79 80.. right before they shut down.

Then the Vintage Reissues ( of which I have a 6-25-82-62 with red bobbins-V002504 )

have a 1.675 width and very thin. .79-.87 or close to that. I don't care a lot for them but it is a good neck and is a very lively neck with good intonation. that's the main thing.

Exactly the same profile Gilmores sig strat has and is on His guitar. HIs is maple as im sure everyone knows. but same profile.

Every now and then Tommy told me..... 1.650 came also in vintage but was mostly because in the hand sanding differences. And they make this size because it isn't a lot of difference and many like the ever so slightly wider size.

Leo wanted 1.625 and is what I prefer.

Everyone advertises 1 5/8 as 1.650... but in reality that is 1 21/32.. not much difference and an earvana nut.. 1.650 works on a true vintage width nut.

But Tommy said he would do the nut width change at 0000 Extra Cost.

Warmoth would not do it.

So I got a custom nut width. Supplied my own wood and had it constructed asnd a finish for..... $355.00 Dollars.

Also it is 12 radius, .96 at nut and .98 at 12th. 6125 frets.

I cant imagine a better made neck.

I could have had 2 necks made at USACG for what WARMOTH wanted.

Tommy was also #1 Guy at Warmoth for the First 15 years and Rob Stone ran Fender Custom Shop.

I don't care what Master Builder or what knowledge they have.... they don't know nor have any more knowledge than USACG. Tommy and Rob have had as much or more opportunity to have access to the construction knowledge of fender guitar necks as anyone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

URL=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/mabley/media/roastedcurlymaple.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Aug 20, 2010
    New York
    Get a USACG,
    They do great work, don't use two way truss rods which add a lot of weight to a neck and change a neck's resonance (not for the better) on top of it all.

Talk to Tommy and he will build you any neck you want for your Tele.

From what I was told, the guy who does their fret work worked at Fender for many years, so guess you are getting a Fender fret job either way, lol.

If you like the Dunlop wire, the 6105 is dimensioned like Jescar 55090

Jescar 47104 (.47x.104) is very close to Dunlop 6150 (Dunlop is .42x.102) so the Jescar just needs to be shaved a little to be as low as the Dunlop.

The cool thing about Jescar is, if you add an EVO after the wire number, you get their special no nickel alloy that is a rich gold color, and is harder than nickel silver wire, but softer than stainless.

The wire looks good and feels/sounds great, and if you are allergic to nickel they won't bother you.

They also wear a seriously long time!

I have a neck here I put them on and have played the heck out of for a couple of years so far and they are just beginning to show a tiny little flat...
    Just measured the widest at .0225 inch.

Not bad!:D

15. srmd22

srmd22 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2013
    USA
    I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about USACG. I looked into a refret, but that will cost close to what a new neck will cost, so I'd rather either sell it to cover the cost, or keep it in case I want to sell the guitar later (probably the former). So I'll probably go USACG.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.