Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

’52 Reissue Neck Fails...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by srmd22, Sep 29, 2013.

1. srmd22

srmd22 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2013
    USA
    ... For me only, props to guys who love it!

After living with my 2000 ’52 reissue for awhile, I just can't bond with the neck. I want to either swap it out or get it planed and refretted.

What I don't like: skinny little frets, 7 1/2" radius

Neutral: thick, sticky lacquer - doesn't bother me much

What I want:
    -flat FB, 10 - 12" radius;
    -fat U or soft V neck, in the range of .90 - 1.00" 1st and 12th - the stock neck is close enough to this for me (I don't have calipers, but I'd guess around .87 - .95ish maybe someone knows specs on these?);
    -6150 frets, or therabouts, a little wider and lower is okay also, eg. 6140);
    - 1.65 - 1.7" nut width (not sure what the stock is, but it is okay)
    -maybe more of a satin finish, front and back;
    -22 frets would be a bonus, if that is even possible.

I am hoping I can get something I can drop right in, preferably with a super duper fret job - I'm happy to pay extra for that. Maybe even a plek?

Alternatively, maybe someone can take the current neck, plane it flatter, refret and dress it. In fact, with fatter frets, the 7 1/2" radius probably wouldn't bother me as much. That would work fine, depending on the relative cost, but if it is less then a new neck, I would consider it. It'll devalue the guitar a bit, but I won't be selling it anytime soon (unless disaster strikes, and I have to sell all).

What is the best way to approach this, and who would you recommend? Seems like a neck swap on a tele should be pretty straightforward, but getting a really nice one could be a challenge.

Advance thanks for any suggestions/advice.

2. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

Dec 28, 2012
    Sunny SoCal
    That's why I went with the 52 Hot Rod. 9.5" radius and medium jumbos. All the vintage vibe with a more modern feel.

3. srmd22

srmd22 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2013
    USA
    If I knew then what I know now, I would have too! No regrets though, because I love the sound of this thing. It'll be a near perfect tele for me once I sort the neck out.

4. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    it would be cheaper to have the neck you want made for you, then just save the 52 neck or sell it. Selling it would probably get you close to enough money to buy a custom neck you like.

5. benhenny

benhenny Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2005
    Yep. A refret will cost about as much as a custom order Musikraft.

6. srmd22

srmd22 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2013
    USA
    Okay, off to google musikraft. I messaged with Koko Tele, who may have a solution, also. Just learned of him here at TDPRI.

7. srmd22

srmd22 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2013
    USA
    Well musicraft looks interesting. Will there neck swap into the 2000 ’52 reissue, or do I need to measure?

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    The Musikraft neck should fit.

9. srmd22

srmd22 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2013
    USA
    Will a musikraft need a fret dressing, or are they good to go out of the box?

10. benhenny

benhenny Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2005
    My Musikraft was good to go - but I cut my own nut. If you order one with a nut, you might need to do some fine tuning once you're all strung up.

11. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    If you sell the neck, feel free to PM me. I really like the neck on my 2006 '52AVRI!

12. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

You seem kind of up in the air about what you want. Warmouth. Musikraft, USA Custom Guitar make custom necks to your specs.. These necks may need fret dressing, they don't do it for you. Do you know of a good luthier to bring it to?

13. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    You might be amazed at how a different fret size can change the feel of the neck's playability.I own guitars with small frets and large ones too...I can get along with either but it is always an adjustment going from one to the other.Before doing anything radical like changing necks or shaving down wood I would install larger frets.My Fender Roadworn 50s has a similar neck profile with a 7.25 radius but with taller 6105 frets and the playabilty is quite different from my 52 reissues as a result.

14. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo!!!!
    Last time I bought a musikraft neck, it took 16 weeks to deliver, and it was a standard neck. They don't do finishing anymore either if memory serves. I'm not trying to dissuade you, and that neck is very nice, but warmoth has a slew of finished necks ready to go, and I bet you'll find something within the specs you're looking for.

15. srmd22

srmd22 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2013
    USA
    Up in the air? I feel pretty clear, must not have expressed myself well:

- flat radius
    - 6150 frets
    - wide nut width (at least 1.65in)
    - 22 frets

Those are the main points. I think that's pretty specific. I am up in the air about how to get that, or how close to try to get to it-- hence maybe just starting with a refret to bigger frets, which might solve it to a good enough degree, as sonny wolf points out.

16. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

Musikraft is 2-3 times slower than Warmoth. If one thinks Musikraft's fret finish means not needing a fret job then whatever. Musikraft make great neck but so of others - if the wait isn't an issue them Musikraft makes a great neck I'm just bit sure they stand apart from two it here sources though.

17. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo!!!!
    Ummm... What?

18. srmd22

srmd22 Tele-Meister

May 31, 2013
    USA
    So, if I understand, Musikraft is on par with other makers, like Warmoth, but longer wait, and they all need fret dressing? I'll have to check out warmoth and see if they have a neck with my specs.

19. benhenny

benhenny Tele-Holic

Nov 1, 2005
    "Over the years we have perfected the way we install and setup the frets on our replacement necks and feel we have it down to a science! Our frets are smooth, level, beveled on the ends and ready to play. We have taken string tension and pull into consideration and the neck you receive should yield a few thousands of relief without a truss rod adjustment right out of the box! Of course, your setup needs may vary and you may want the frets tweaked by a professional Luthier, although this is usually not necessary. For a factory replacement neck, we feel that our fret work is the best in business."

http://www.musikraft.com/orderform/learnmore/fret_learn.htm

20. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    Why not buy a hot rod 52 neck?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.