‘65 Deluxe Reverb vs. something slightly quieter

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by NateD81, Apr 11, 2019.

1. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

Maybe try an attenuator?

2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

PRRI with 12" speaker. Either FSR or do it yourself.
    IMG_20190401_153806.jpg

3. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

For home use, a PR can be very loud. Look for an amp that is less than 5 watts.What you want is an amp that is pushed some at a comfortable volume level, and for home low volume use a PR or a DR are not suitable.

I just love love love my PR at 2 1/2 on the volume but seriously if I want some dirt from it, it does not work for quit home use.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

How about putting up some insulation in the garage , and crank a Super Reverb instead ?
    Only slightly kidding , LOL

gridlock likes this.
  5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

This>

5A0D2CCB-5FF8-45F7-A95F-54C872A17A0B.jpeg

6. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Beat me to it.

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Keep the amp ... Get a bigger house or a wife who doesn't hear too well ... Problem solved ....

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ditch the loud reissue.

Get an original non-reverb Silverface Princeton.

Beautiful cleans. Beautiful.

One of the best pedal platform amps ever so - if you do want a little dirt , get a good overdrive/distortion pedal and play as quiet or as loud as you want.

Feel free to get a super late one. They never got a pull-boost.

9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This was my battle with a DRRI a number of years ago. Great sounding amp, when it had some air moving, but I struggled with clean, low volume playing at home. Then, I struggled at an outdoor gig, with no PA support... That was the straw that broke the camel's back and set me on a different path.

The first amp I bought to replace the DRRI was a '63 Vibroverb Reissue. Loud enough for most gigs, warmer, sweeter cleans, great reverb and that stupid good bias vary trem. I bought it because I wanted louder... But, then I discovered the volume sweep on it was much better than the Deluxe. Low volume playing on the bigger amp was actually sweeter.

That was an interesting revelation.

Since that day, I've had several black/silverface amps (including a PRRI) come and go, and the Vibroverb is still hanging around. My tone tastes have shifted and most of the time, I am playing tweed amps, and big tweed amps, actually. My Bassman and high power Twin get the lion's share of gig time, and home practice time.

The Princeton Reverb is one of my favorite amps. Warmer than a Deluxe Reverb. Better trem than the other BF amps. I like 10" speakers. For years, when I was in a guitar store and gonna test a guitar, I'd ask if they had a Princeton to play through. But, even my Princeton is gone now (it was too loud with an efficient 12" V30 in it).

Funny, I have a 5e3 (Tweed Deluxe) and it has the same behavior... Too quiet and thin, to too loud in just a tiny little fraction of a turn of the knob. The 5e3 has some other features that can be used to lower the output... But, that volume sweep can be deadly.

With some judicious guitar volume knob tweaking, they can all become tamable, though. So, maybe before going down the amp black hole (read money pit) like me, mess with the controls on your guitar?

10. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

I wouldnt move to a PRRi. Thats the thing with the 6v6 BF/SF circuits, they need to be turned up in order to not sound sterile. Id start by swapping out that Weber. The heavy magnet ceramic Webers are brutal. Go with a less efficient speaker.

If that doesnt work, believe it or not the larger 6L6 Fenders sound better at lower volume.

11. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

I have a DRRI and a PRRI and a Vibrolux Reverb RI .

For ME, I love the PRRI in the house at moderate volumes. I can put it on 3 and be good, clean, not too loud, and sounds amazing. If you get the chance to push that baby up to 8-9, the dirt is glorious. With my Les Paul I can get really great tones at ~4-5 with some breakup. The Tele takes more volume or a MXR Distortion + .

The Vibrolux is another of my favorites, but it's louder than what you want.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.