Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

‘50s Telecaster® vs 52 RI

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Marshall Thinline, Aug 30, 2006.

1. odiemann

odiemann Tele-Afflicted

Mar 24, 2006
    Denver
    I said "many luthiers"

So I see why you misunderstand my point. You read your own context into the text. You are focusing a a minor point. And I guess it is very moot, you keep arguing it.

2. Marshall Thinline

Marshall Thinline Tele-Holic

Mar 22, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Weight Differences

When comparing the two guitars, how could they weigh so differently when made of the same wood? When you have a weight range of 6lbs - 8.5lbs, that is a huge margin (30%). Could it be that some of them (the Mexican made guitars) are dried out and not as water logged as the American ones?

It seems like the lighter 50s esquires that I have been trying out, weigh less and resonate much better. You can feel and hear the notes thru the body. Most of the American made ones are heavy and feel and sound dead.

3. odiemann

odiemann Tele-Afflicted

Mar 24, 2006
    Denver
    As many theories as there are people on that one

4. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    It's probably true that you can compare the '50s Esquire and the '50s Tele, but if you mean to say that the 62RI and the 52RI are comparable, I'll have to protest. These are two quite different models : Alder vs ash, rosewood vs maple, 62 Custom pups vs OV pups, steel vs brass saddles etc. (I'm not saying one is "better" than the other, only that they are very different.)

Your comparison is therefore unfair when we speak about the differences between the '50s Tele and the 52RI.

I may have misunderstood you, though. :confused:

5. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    My experience, though limited, is opposite.

My 52RI is a medium weight at 7.78 lbs, and resonates better than any solid bodied guitar I've ever played.

My '50s Classic Tele is rather heavy with it's 8.6 lbs. It resonates great though, but it can't compare to the 52RI.

Though we may have different experience, it's definitely not fair to say that "Most of the American made ones ar heavy and feel and sound dead."

At least most 52RI owners will dissagree with you.

6. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

No doubt! They would feel a little foolish admitting that they had spent more than double on a guitar just for the 'Made in USA' on the headstock, only to find that the MIM Classic was possibly better!:lol:

The AV 52 is one type of Telecaster that I don't own. I've played them, but couldn't understand how they justified the huge price tag - they didn't seem that special to me. And for every good comment on the AV 52 on this forum, there has probably been one bad one - especially concerning the finish. I think the jury is still out.....

I'm STILL wondering why FMIC don't release the 50s Classic in a Butterscotch finish.... are they afraid that sales of the AV 52 would plummet?

7. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I said 52RI owners. ;)

I also own both models, and I don't feel at all stupid about it. :cool:
    (Maybe for other reasons though. :oops: :lol: )

8. Marshall Thinline

Mar 22, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was comparing guitars that were both made of the same wood.

I am wondering if there is a tolerance or set range for the amount of moisture in the wood that Fender goes by. That can make a huge difference in weight and resonance.

Also, I am not picking on American made guitars. This is just what I ran across in one store. Last week I did the same comparison between an American 52RI and an American Ash Telecaster. The 52RI was much better sounding and weighed about 1/3 less. These are basically the same guitar, so where is the extra weight coming from? Could two pieces of Ash weigh 30% different? Possibly, but I am guessing that water content has more to do with the huge difference in weight.

I guess this one is for the pros. FUZZY WHERE ARE YOU?!?!

9. Fatmanstratman

In that case, I think I may be qualified to comment, as I DO own a 52 RI - made in Japan. I never said I didn't own a 52 RI. Furthermore, I never used the word stupid.:rolleyes:

I thought this thread related to the USA made 'American Vintage 52 Telecaster', (Model No. 010-0202-850). If you didn't mind spending that much on a guitar, bully for you - I tried one, and simply couldn't justify it. There again, I'm a Brit - having 'Made in USA' doesn't swing it as much for me. I go more on the playability, tone and build quality than the country of origin.:rolleyes:

However, fair play to our American friends for having pride in their country's products, even to the extent of being prepared to overlook and forgive minor shortcomings in terms of quality. We used to be like that here in Britain - now all our nationalistic pride has been squeezed out of us. Can you guys imagine being told that you weren't allowed to fly your country's flag outside your house during a major sporting event for fear of it "causing offence to other ethnic groups"?:eek:

10. Marshall Thinline

Mar 22, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am going to start a new thread on water / moisture content. This thread is going in a direction that I never intended it to.:eek: :oops:

11. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    Right. I agree. So, what about going back to...

"MAPLE or ROSEWOOD?"

12. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2004
    I've had two new 50's Classic Esquires in my possession in the last year and though they were the exact same model, they were at opposite ends of the scale.

The first one I got easily weighed in around nine pounds- on my shoulder it felt as heavy as my Les Paul. The second one may be my lightest guitar that isn't hollow. Same guitar, same wood; way different in weight and resonance.

Guitars are like people- each one is different from the other one, even when they "all look alike."

13. Fatmanstratman

I think you'll find that threads involving the American Vintage 52 Telecaster ALWAYS end up in exactly the same direction. Many folks are happy to pay quite a lot of money for the AV52, and although there are SOME owners who are prepared to stand up and say (a.) the finish quality leaves something to be desired, and (b.) the tone is not the best they have ever heard, there are many more who cannot bring themselves to say (or hear said) one bad word against the American made instrument.

Similarly, those same people are unable to accept that some MIM/CIJ re-issues are of better quality or may sound better. It's not a case of xenophobia - more like a sense of unquestioning patriotism.

That's why threads attempting to compare the AV 52 vs the MIM 50's Classic will ALWAYS end up leaning towards a discussion on why USA made instruments must be better than those made elsewhere. Those actual words may not necessarily be used, but the overtones are clear for all to see.

You are probably right - time to close the thread and move on before the bitterness sets in!.....:lol:

14. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I think you'll find that threads involving the American Vintage 52 Telecaster ALWAYS end up in exactly the same direction. Many folks are happy to pay out on Fender US for having the gall to come up with something that adults with free will are prepared to pay for - the AV52, and although there are SOME owners who are prepared to stand up and say (a.) they are very happy with finish quality, and equipment level is so good it gets retrofitted to many other reissues (b.) the tone is of a good standard and about what it should be, there are many more who cannot bring themselves to say (or hear said) one good word for the American made instrument.

Similarly, those same people are unable to accept that, like some AV52s some MIM/CIJ re-issues are of not-so-good quality or may be not-quite-as-good without pickup or other upgrades. It's not a case of having the right to their own opinion - more like they made up their mind on one questionable example or blindly agree with those in the down-with-USA-Fenders club.

That's why threads attempting to compare the AV 52 vs the MIM 50's Classic will ALWAYS end up leaning towards a discussion on why USA made instruments must be worse - and besides they're so expensive and they all look so ugly, horrid, gloopy and pumpkin-coloured - than those made elsewhere. Those actual words may not necessarily be used, but the overtones are clear for all to see.

You are probably right - time to close the thread and move on before the bitterness sets in!.....

15. odiemann

odiemann Tele-Afflicted

Mar 24, 2006
    Denver
    I'll watch for that

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.