Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

¿Telecaster 60th Anniversary?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by renvalsqui, Sep 27, 2012.

1. renvalsqui

renvalsqui TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Argentina (Paraná, ER)
    A guy that imports stuff from Musiciansfriend.com offers the new American Standard 2012 for USD$2000.

I don't know if the difference between these guitars is worth USD$500...
    Ergo the question.

2. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Different anniversaries - your 2011 has a neck plate for the 60th Anniversary of the Telecaster (the name changed in 1951).

However, almost all production line Fenders built in calendar 2006 had that "60th Anniversary of Fender" medallion (not sure about the 2006 AV guitars; I know the 1996 AV guitars had the "50th Anniversary of Fender" medallion on their headstocks).

3. Sparklecaster

Sparklecaster Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2010
    Owingsville Kentucky
    The only difference should be pickups and the saddles. The saddles on the 2012 will have bent steel like a vintage strat and that one has the block saddles. Pickups in that one are ok. Pickups in the 2012 are the broadcaster bridge pup and a twisted tele neck pup. For five hundred less I would buy that one IF you like it.

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    The 2012 model is a little different. It has a different bridge, more "vintage" style pickups, a thinner finish and a body contour.

If a used one is $1500 and a new one is $2000, I'd say the new one is a much better deal. In the USA I'd expect the used one to sell for maybe $600 - approx 50% of the new price - and a new one for $1000-$1150 depending on finish.

5. psyched

psyched Tele-Holic

Sep 14, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I have two MIMs that have the "60th Anniv" button on the headstock, I didn't pay a dime more for them and wouldn't have based solely on that button. Nothing special about it, in my opinion.

renvalsqui, if the used one you're looking at plays nice and gets a tone you like, go for it. If you aren't happy trying the guitar and are second guessing whether it's worth that much money, than it probably isn't and you'd always wonder if you should've spent the extra $500 on a new one. I agree with others here, for a used model vs a new one, you might be better off buying new, unless the used one really makes a strong case to come home with you when it's in your hands.

6. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Usual trick is to have someone who is going abroad purchase and ship it back, even bring it on a flight. The Norwegians have been known to club together to stuff a shipping container when they're working over here. We get stung with import taxation on new goods from outside the EU, but not so much on used.

7. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2009
    Seattle
    There are two "60th" fender anniversaries - '46-'06 - Fender's 60th, and '51-'11 Telecasters 60th.

8. renvalsqui

renvalsqui TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Argentina (Paraná, ER)
    Thank you guys!

The guy who sells told me that this Tele is in MINT condition, and it looks like it!
    He bought it for cheapy money because it had no hard case.
    Anyway, I have yet to go and test it.
    If the guitar is in very good technical condition overall, I'll go for it!
    I was just wondering if the American Standard 2012 was superior to the American Series of 2006...
    It appears that they're barely identical, with slightly different approaches, am I right?

9. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yes, you are right.

The biggest "noticeable" difference will be because of the pickups. My preference would be the 2012 as they are more "vintage" flavoured, but my preference may not be yours!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

10. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Nice Tele ...body looks exactly like a mid seventies I had. Btw, my fave coffee beans are from Argentina, it's what I drink.

11. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Yes. 2006 was the "Diamond 60th" celebrating 60 years of Fender. 2011 was the "60th anniversary" of the telecaster.

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

May 1, 2012
    Prescott AZ
    The 2012 has the contoured body, which has been a source of some controversy. Broadcaster bridge pickup, "Twisted Tele" neck pickup.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

+1

Sorry about the guitar costing $ 1,500 in Argentina.

I guess you have no choice; the consequences of the Default are gonna be cruel, when it comes to items like this guitar.

I think I would make my own down there, fabricate every single part you can.

14. renvalsqui

renvalsqui TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Argentina (Paraná, ER)
    What can you say about the pickup comparison between the American Series and the new American Standard 2012?
    The new combination seems way better...

15. renvalsqui

renvalsqui TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Argentina (Paraná, ER)
    Hi guys! The guitar is finally here in Argentina. I haven't tested it yet.
    The seller gave me the serial number: Z6120815.
    Seems to be an American Standard, right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.