Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

¿Squier CV 50's or Esquire MIM 50's?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BISCUIT ROCKS, Oct 16, 2008.

1. BISCUIT ROCKS

BISCUIT ROCKS TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Barcelona (Catalonia)
    This is the question.
    I want an Esquire, I need to prove it! But which is the better way, the MIM reissue or the squier classic vibe 50's to start an Esquire project.
    Help!!!
    Please

2. byrdbrain

byrdbrain Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2006
    Sweden
    I would say, it depends on your neck preferences.
    I really like the classic vibe, but if you want a more substantial
    (fatter) neck, go with the MIM.

3. BISCUIT ROCKS

Sep 22, 2008
    Barcelona (Catalonia)
    I like thin necks so... thanx!

4. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 11, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    50s Classic MIMs are fine instruments. Plus no "fiddling" to make it great, it's already there!
    You'll "feel" more 50s with that neck too.

5. drdos

drdos Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2008
    Rockies
    I have played many teles and I have to say that I am really impressed with the fit, feel, and sound of the CV Tele. I previously owned a 2001 MIA Standard that played nothing like this CV. If you like a thin comfortable neck the CV is it. Plus you will save some money over the 50's MIM.. Good Luck.

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    The CV is a better deal for the $$ but the MIM 50's Classic is a better guitar.

Your looking at a $700 guitar vs a $300 guitar.

If you like thinner necks go with the CV the MIM Esq has a nice fat neck.

7. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2005
    Earth
    I have a MIM 50's Esquire and I will say this: if you love the guitar stock, buy it. If you want a guitar that will be a modding platform, get the Squier. You can always sell the neck if you don't like it for swap and sell pickups if you don't like those. Basically, if you gut the Squier and get high quality, aftermarket parts it'll add up to about the same price if not less than a classic 50's.

8. rockinrob

rockinrob TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Tampa
    I vote for the classic vibe!

9. sidneystreet

sidneystreet Tele-Afflicted

Jul 7, 2005
    That is my feeling, also.

I finally played a Classic Vibe Tele and it was everything you could hope for and more, at the price. That being said, I still prefer the 50's Classic Esquire and Tele. The 50's Classic models offer beefier necks, and better pots and switches.

If money is not a BIG issue, I'd suggest looking for good used or new 50's Classic. Otherwise, the Classic Vibe is an absolute steal!

10. BISCUIT ROCKS

Sep 22, 2008
    Barcelona (Catalonia)
    Thanx for the info.
    CV: thin neck, cheap price.
    Esquire: fatter neck, more expensive... but better guitar... guys, I don't know...

11. Tele_MEL

Tele_MEL Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2007
    Hillsboro, OR
    I recently bought a CV.

I was about to buy a Classic 50's ( $700 ) , and the CV hit the scene. Because I got it for $250 ( promo at MF ), I pulled the trigger on a CV.

The Classic has been noted to be a better guitar...

so as sidneystreet noted:

Classic 50's has beefier neck ( a valid, but subjective issue if people like fatter necks )

and as far as the ' better ' part is concerned..
    I can replace the two pots and the pup switch for $15.
    I could go out and buy Nocaster or Fender Vintage pups ( $150 )

and still be at $415.

I could even put on revered ( Glendale or Callaham ) replacement bridge/saddles and still be way under $700.

I've yet to be able to play a Classic ( 50's or 60's ) - but seems like significant reasons to get one over a CV would be the 7.25" radius neck, vintage frets, deluxe gigbag and finishes ( Burst, Vintage Blonde or Black ).

something tells me I won't satisfy my curiosity on the Classic MIM's until I get one.

but in the meantime - I've got a very good Tele at just $250 in the CV.

Actually: in fairness - I did buy a new switchcraft jack, an electrosocket jack cup and a white Allparts Pickguard - so I've got $275 into it!

12. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 3, 2007
    Atlanta Area
    The answer is simple and clear just like all the other "which one shoud I get" threads. PLAY them both and buy what feels best to YOU.

I feel another Esquire addict coming into the fold!

13. BISCUIT ROCKS

Sep 22, 2008
    Barcelona (Catalonia)
    I suppose it's easy in the USA to prove guitars in guitar shops but here in Spain music stores have a very small stock but I'll try it if I can

14. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2006
    Wiltshire, England
    Plus one & I also agree with Mister Mullins. The Stock Esquire is simply stunning - I've since put £200 worth of upgrades into mine & it plays / feels like a USA Custom Shop model. I kid thee not!

15. Teleriffic

Teleriffic Tele-Meister

Oct 24, 2006
    Morrisville,PA
    MIM 50`s Esquire all the way!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.