Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

······*10cc > Queen ·······

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by getbent, May 22, 2010.

1. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    I'd say it's more artsy.

2. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    From Wikipedia: "The ethereal sound was created by laboriously building up multiple overdubs of the voices of Stewart, Graham Gouldman, Godley and Creme singing a single note in unison. This multi-track was then mixed down and dubbed down onto 16-track tape. This process was repeated across all sixteen tracks to create a lush 256-voice "virtual" choir that could "sing" chromatic chords.[1] A number of these prepared multi-tracks were then cut into several endless loops, each of which contained the basic notes of the main chords used in the song. The chorus loops could then be played by using the mixing desk rather like a keyboard -- each chord could be sounded by bringing up the fader for that loop. The instrumental break featured the repeated spoken phrase: "Be quiet, big boys don't cry...", which was spoken by Kathy Warren, the receptionist of the Strawberry Studios where the band recorded the track. These whispered lyrics would later serve as the inspiration for the name of the 1980s band, Boys Don't Cry.

In this pre-sampler period, the group was able to simulate a large polyphonic choir, creating a dramatic tonal effect similar to that produced by the well-known choir setting on the Mellotron, but with a far richer sound, and in full stereo. The same effect was used in Billy Joel's ballad "Just the Way You Are", released two years later."

Additionally, both seem to use electric piano pretty predominately.

True, but he was able to achieve a similar (though hardly identical) effect in the studio much more successfully using only his DIY guitar and tiny amps. . . AND, they still work, which is more than can be said of the Gizmo! ;) And now we have the Moog guitar. . . at least those who can afford it do.

3. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2006
    Please, somebody defend "Under Pressure" and "Radio Ga Ga"
    as anything anyone would enjoy hearing! I'd rather hear a bunny rabbit being eaten by a snake.

4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Cue bunny rabbit. I think "Under Pressure" is great. I won't go to the mat to defend "Radio Ga Ga," but I like it, too.

5. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Under Pressure has that great Mannfred Manns' Earth Band bit in the middle. Reminds me of "Drowning on Dry Land/Fish Soup" from "Watch"

Radio Ga Ga is a classic example that inspiration can come from the most unexpected places.

6. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    They're both good songs but the former gave rise to Vanilla Ice and the latter to Lady Ga Ga.

A better song from 'The Works' is 'I Want To Break Free'.

7. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    I had already grown tired of Queen by the early 80s and didn't care for the direction they went in, but "Under Pressure" was an extraordinary collaboration. Now, if asked to "defend it" to someone who clearly doesn't like it, well, I don't think that's possible, as it's not some revolutionary piece of art that stands above taste and criticism. If you don't like it. . . well, you just don't like it. End of story.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I have to agree. I think that Bowie and Mercury go together like mustard and cheesecake.

9. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Wow, I think they sound great together.

As for Queen songs that I can't stand, "Another One Bites The Dust" tops my list.

10. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2006
    To atone for my negativity...

11. SimpleOne

SimpleOne Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2008
    Cloud
    Thanks for the correction Dave B.:D

As I recall from an interview Gouldman:oops: said he was offered a chance to write a few songs and was under a time constraint which made it interesting.

And thanks for saying something so many 10cc fans have always felt and which I could not quite articulate regarding the surprise of hearing Queen in the mid-seventies and thinking of 10cc. Maybe a person had to be there to recognize that 10cc had something which wasdifferent for it's time. Other 10cc fans I knew at that time expressed similar sentiments regarding Queen's evolving sound.

Looking back from this perspective without living through that period I can see how it would be hard to now find the similarities between Queen and 10cc. .

10cc,imho, had a fantastic sound, imo, and maybe (?) Queen benefited from that vision. And who could blame them?:) Both great bands, wish they were playing together and we could all go and toast to them and get the front row seats we all deserve.:cool:

12. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    the valley
    The same guy that introduced me to Queen introduced me to 10cc, before either reached their peak popularity. Not really a coincidence.

I like both bands. 10CC was cool. Queen accomplished more IMO, besides just popularity.

13. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

One thing that always struck me about 10cc is how well their four voices complement each other, they sound like they were born to sing together, and blend effortlessly. Kind of reminds me of the way The Beatles' three voices fit together perfectly.

14. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    The thing is, so many bands and artists and acts have pursued this vibe of lush vocals and arrangement, and it's all intertwined. There's a fairly obscure band called Charlie (with a young Steve Gadd on drums) that was doing this in the 70's as well. ELO was obviously the love child of Jeff Lynne's Beatles fixation, but as was often the case during the era, there was also a bent toward "prog rock". If you get into 10cc and Queen, you have to take a look at Yes. If you're looking at that, you also have to look at The Carpenters, Bread, and The Raspberries, as well as the Jackson 5 and Motown in general. If you look at that, you have to look at Peter and Gordon, The Everly Brothers, The Beatles, and Burt Bacharach. If you look at that, you have to look at Les Paul and Mary Ford. And you have to keep looking backward and foreward simultaneously.

It's a natural progression, and one way or the other, it's all related.

15. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    In ref to Getbent's OP my wife too likes 10cc better than Queen (or, as she says ... the Queen) and I've never been able to figure it out as they are very similar. I use to mix them up when I'd hear the into of 'Best Friend'.

Anyway, if push came to shove I'd have to go with Queen just for the sheer (heart attack) number of great songs. 10cc does have some stuff I really don't like, though their more pop oriented tunes I think are fantastic (fly me, not in love, etc.).

16. SimpleOne

SimpleOne Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2008
    Cloud
    +1

17. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Oh and by the way, in my above post the Queen is not a gay reference or anything.
    My isn't a native english speaker so she puts the article before the noun in this case. I rarely correct her because it's cute.

Like the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.