Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

······*10cc > Queen ·······

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by getbent, May 22, 2010.

1. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    FWIW, Queen and ELO both worked with the same German engineer, Reinhold Mack (aka Mack).

2. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    That's possible, too. No band is an island. They could've influenced each other, for all we know, without even realizing it.

Now what do you think is to the left of > in a comparison between ""Une Nuit A Paris (One Night In Paris)" and "Bohemian Rhapsody"?

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I'll leave to someone else... I never liked Boho Rhapsody much nor One night in Paris... they are both great in their way... but not the stuff I have passion for...

besides I have proven I 'have no sense of music'....

4. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2006
    Fortunately, if 10cc did anything as horrible as "under pressure" or "radio ga ga" I didn't hear it on the radio!

5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Geez how many apologies do you need from me? ;)

6. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    Remember suede clogs?

I was in LA for an extended period in the '90s and I remember a shop there that still made them. Wooden soled, blue suede clogs with brass rivets around the edge just like my bro wore in the '70s.

Brian May's picture was on the wall. He was still wearing suede clogs well into the '90s.

Now THAT is cool.

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

haven't seen one yet. I've seen 'okay, okay, i see your point' and the above.

I appreciate the passive aggressive attempt, but it does not affect me in the way it might with unruly bass players with stomach trouble.

now, where are my blue suede clogs.....???

8. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    I knew it! ;)

9. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    The "okay I see your point, sorry if I offended you" was my first apology

The "how many apologies do you need?" was my second one

And here's my third, I'm sorry okay.

But be fair with me, Queen is a completely different band: look at their live shows. And as others pointed out, Queen already had quirky songs on their first albums predating 10CC. They weren't the hard rocking act that went pop after hearing 10CC, they had that pop sensibility all along.

Also later Queen songs like "Headlong" and "I want it all" showed that Queen still knew how to rock them HARD.

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

How familiar were you with the Queen recorded canon before you heard "Killer Queen"? How fresh were your ears at that time? You have to remember that there was a time when Freddie Mercury wasn't an instantly-recognizable star.

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I do not want the responsibility of having to live up to THAT. I'm just another internet blowhard like anyone else.

12. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Western PA
    AMEN ! Freddie was the greatest vocalist/front man in the history of rock..period. That man had "IT"..love Queen

13. Zackman

Zackman TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Both great bands... Kinda of like asking which is your favorite child.

14. Robbie W

Robbie W Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    As has already been mentioned, I always likened 10CC to another great British band: ELO. Much more so than 10CC in comparison to Queen.

In fact the first time I heard "The Things We Do For Love" I can remember thinking it was an ELO song.

Queen was an aquired taste for me, but once I was drawn to Brian May's guitar playing I was hooked.

15. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Wow, can't believe no one has mentioned Sparks yet:

I mean, since this stuff is being dredged up. . . :lol:

As far as "Un Nuit a Paris" influencing "Bohemian Rhapsody," well, couldn't Side 2 of Queen II have influenced 10cc just as easily? It's practically the blueprint for "Bohemian Rhapsody" two years before it was released.

I think there was an awful lot of this stuff going on in the early 70s. . . bright jangly piano, stacked vocals, complex song structure, etc. The difference being that Queen 1) had a far more distinctive vocalist than 10cc; 2) had a far more distinctive guitarist than. . . well, anybody; 3) obviously wrote songs that connected with far more people than 10cc, and which established a group identity that 10cc was never able to achieve. Hell, check this out: Graham Gouldman - 10Cc Star Jealous Of Queen's Success

Talk about being petty; my heart really bleeds for ya, Graham buddy.

For latter day stuff, this Jellyfish song always put me in mind of 10cc. . .

16. Skully

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Oh, jeez. "Bohemian Rhapsody" by a million miles. "One Night in Paris" is boring, self-indulgent and silly. I don't find 10cc's funny stuff to be very funny. It's just kind of... silly.

I think the Sparks/10cc comparison is much more apt.

17. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    Agreed. IIRC, at some point (pre-Sheer Heart Attack), the Mael Brothers asked Brian May to join Sparks. . . I don't think he regrets his decision. ;)

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    10cc (to me) is more artistic than Queen music.

Some of the lighter 10cc songs remind me of old Lou Reed songs when I listen to the instruments.

10cc has more of a freak on than Queen (I mean that in a good way).

John

19. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Colorado
    Wow!
    I grew up on '70s AM pop and you practically nailed my top ten list. I'm just glad to hear that someone else likes this stuff.

20. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    I always wondered what the keyboard sound was on "I'm Not In Love"

Billy Joel used i in "Just The Way You Are"

BTW: Brian May may have his Phd in Astronomy-- but he never brought to market something like the GIZMO !!!

Love,
    Aspri Reverb & Family

/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.