Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

······*10cc > Queen ·······

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by getbent, May 22, 2010.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    LOL

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

No, it was Graham Gouldman. He wrote a number of '60s hits, for the Yardbirds, Herman's Hermits, and others.

3. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    Since we're pursuing tangents

Interesting references within the thread.

The thing about The Raspberries is that they had huge, lush, vocal harmonies, but the instruments always sounded like they were pushing the limits of good taste and diming analog consoles, because they were. The Cars, Queen, and 10cc didn't sound like that because production values had become more pristine.

If I had to cite *my* most underrated band within pop rock history, it would easily be The Raspberries. Arguably my fave jangle pop band ever. "Go All The Way", "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)", etc., great pop tunes. I'd speculate that bands and artists ranging from Big Star to REM to Aimee Mann to Elliott Smith to Neil Finn to Elvis Costello to Radiohead were considerably influenced by this band's records.

As for The Left Banke, what can you say, pop records simply don't get any better than "Walk Away Renee".

4. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway

Not hard to agree with that! :cool:

5. dickey

dickey Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2010
    Florida
    Comparing 10cc to Queen is like comparing a Yugo to a Lamborghini.

6. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Personally I'd never compare them, but I like the majority of 10CC songs better than most Queen songs ... Just my personal musical taste.

7. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    This period Left Banke in particular:

...and here's a good Raspberries example:

Both songs have that Freddie sound vocal wise.

But man The Raspberries are devastating to me. One of those life savers. :)

8. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    And now let's hear it for Freddie himself. A classic.

9. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Culver City CA
    'Cause they're not really.

10. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 31, 2008
    Wise River, Montana
    I remember Ambrosia. My girlfriend (now wife) really liked them, so I got to listen to them a lot.

What I always liked about 10cc was their sense of humor. I wore out my copy of Deception Bends listening to 'You've Got A Cold' and "Good Morning, Judge," not to mention my all time favorite, "I bought A Flat Guitar Primer."
    Great stuff!

Justin

11. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    It's like what people said in my Foo Fighters Thread where they compared their more AOR sounding output to Radiohead.

They don't sound like Radiohead at all. In fact I'd say that the more quiet songs from the Foo Fighters owe more to The Alan Parsons project and Tom Petty and the Heart breakers. The Foo Fighters' song "Aint it the life" sounds like Alan Parsons' "Don't answer me" but I don't call that song a rip-off of the other since "Aint it the life" is a beautiful song in its own right.

People called Muse a Radiohead rip-off. They don't sound like Radiohead either.

People who compare the sound of 10 CC to Queen, in my opinion (No offense here) have no sense of music, sure there might be one or two details in some songs that sound a little like the other but I find it utterly rediculous to see them as a sos called sister act because both in music and the way they presented themselves the bands aren't alike at all.

12. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    You forgot the other Post-10CC band: WAX

13. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

And I think you'd have to have no sense of music to not notice the affinity.

Queen started out as a hard rock band, verging on metal. It wasn't until the third album that they began to veer more toward pop music. In 1974, if you were a 10cc fan, and your only prior exposure to Queen was "Keep Yourself Alive", what would your reaction be the first time you heard "Killer Queen" on the radio? I remember that moment, and I thought it must be a new 10cc single.

I think that Queen had to have been influenced by the first two 10cc albums when they made their jump from hard rock to pop, but I also think that's where any convergence of styles ends. Queen certainly found their own voice, and 10cc continued doing what they were doing. But I don't think "Sheer Heart Attack" could have happened without "10cc" and "Sheet Music" coming first.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

In all my years on the TDPRI, if there is one person I have faith in as far as his ears and ability to hear and know...

it is David Barnett.

Blazer, I found your post offensive. Try to remember that if you feel the need to write 'no offense' it ALWAYS means you are choosing to write something that is offensive.

15. Telemarkman

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Even though I've never made the 10cc/Queen connection, we can agree on that!

16. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Okay, okay, you made your point, sorry if you took offense here.

But I only need to hear Freddie's voice to confirm that it's not a 10CC song I'm listening to. "Killer Queen" is so built on Freddie's voice and multiple voice layering that I could only classify it as a Queen song.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes. there are differences. no quibble there. You can find the differences... can you find similarities?

(they are different skill sets... )

18. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Queen was already doing quirky pop pieces such as "My Fairy King" and the gospel-inflected "Jesus" on their first album, so I think it's a bit dubious to assert that they were following 10cc's lead.

19. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

May 17, 2009
    Arkansas
    I can't believe that in the course of this entire thread, no one has mentioned ELO. Is there nothing in this thread that brings Electric Light Orchestra to mind for anyone else, or is it just some peculiar idiosyncracy of my own that made them leap to mind in this discussion?

Steerforth :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.