······*10cc > Queen ·······

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by getbent, May 22, 2010.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember in the mid-late 70's, my friends were playing Good Morning Judge a lot. However, I was totally into Springsteen, the Stones, and some heavier British rock. But mostly, I had just discovered The Sex Pistols. and The Clash. "The Things We do for Love" didn't have a chance.
    I'll have to give 10CC a listen, but frankly, I don't even own any Queen albums, so I'm not the best judge of this. I only know the radio singles.
    But hey, I would like to agree with Boris. :)

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I just thought you were disagreeing with me faster than I could disagree with you, and I'd fallen behind.

This seemed like an excellent chance to try to get caught back up. :D

You know, in the case of either band, I'm liable to eject the CP and put something like Billy MacKenzie (Associates) in there instead. I don't like lush overproduced music; I like jagged edges and cacophony and the sound of a composition newly born. Although Billy did like to re-record things over and over - it just sounded like Take 1 or 2.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol::lol:

Getbent:
    I've just listened to a number of 10CC songs, via Youtube, and I'm sure not hearing anything that I would call heavy.
    I hear a whole lot of other bands in their music: Supertramp, Queen, McCartney & Wings, Beatles, Little Feat, BeeGees, even echoes of Joe Walsh.
    Mostly, I found that a lot of 10CC's stuff is just too disjointed for me. It's like they have to have a new musical element every 8 bars.
    Perhaps I need to keep listening.

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

10cc were all great musicians, all four were great songwriters, and they were monsters in the studio. Too bad none of that translated to the stage, they were completely lacking in any sort of charisma. A 10cc album is a bit of a curate's egg.

5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nothing wrong with that. That's a GREAT tune.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

hekawi, it would be a blast to sit in a cool little bar and listen to records with you man!

7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wouldn't say it's in my top 5, but definitely a great song. Takes me back, my older teenage half-sister was in a kinda/sorta break-up with her long-time boyfriend and she wore that song out.

8. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

I'll never forget hearing that song for the first time, listening to some FM station on the verge of sleep and getting lost in those layers upon layers of echoey backing vocals.

The production on 10cc's best material is just amazing. I also get a kick out of Rubber Bullets which sounds like a completely different band.

9. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Wow Pilot...a girl I was at school with was the younger sister of Ian Bairnson, the lead guitarist of Pilot. I fancied her like mad, but sadly she wasn't interested. Ah well.

10. SimpleOne

SimpleOne Friend of Leo's

Wow a lotta love for 10cc.

The Worst Band in the World

That was the song that turned myself and many friends onto 10cc.
    IIRC. Stewart could play some biting guitar and his voice was one of the great gifts to R&R, IMHO.

Have long loved that guitar solo and acoustic guitar work in "Mandy," Beautiful melody, yessir.

They played at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium the first time in the states. The album, in CD form, is still available on the net at Amazon last time I looked. My friend and I both agree that concert ranked up there with seeing McCartney live. Amazing talent and artistry. What the band did during "Wall Street Shuffle" was fantastic and very memorable. Switching instruments mid song in dramatic fashion. Jumping back from their pianos, climb on top of their pianos as they were un-slinging their guitars, jumping off the front of their pianos and hitting that power chord (you might know the one) as they landed on the stage. That is a heavily driven song in parts and when they hit those power chords after the piano interlude...the result was bedlam.

Lush four part harmonies set 10cc apart and yet unmistakable similarities are there for those who were early fans of the 10cc. Hence this thread I presume?

I am fans of both but given the choice I would love to see the original 10cc again. Any day. 10ccc's humor, self deprecation, sarcasm, their ability to change their sound from song to song. The quality of each of their voices. Uber talent.

I'm Not In Love" was on the album; "The Original Soundtrack" from 1975, IIRC.. A fun and singable, if not eccentric, showing. And yeah the song Une Nuit A Paris (One Night In Paris) was a lengthy, rambling, operatic production with lots of those lush four part harmonies, ALA Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Another 1975 album, though later in the year. A big similarity exists between these two productions IMHO. I wonder who knew what and when?:lol:

Godley and Creme wrote "Bus Stop" did they not? An interesting story there as I recall.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  11. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I too thought they were just a studio band, until I saw them live and they absolutely nailed the lot, even 'Neanderthal Man' (Hotlegs=Godley/Creme/Stewart). You see, they had all been excellent stage players. Visually not very exciting perhaps, but the music was.

12. getbent

awesome posts fellers! Ian Bairnson is just an amazing guitar player...

simpleone, I think we have been at several of the same concerts! (forum?)

I got to see several great bands at the SMCA including 10cc.

13. SimpleOne

Those were heady days.

I have not met another who had gone to that 10cc concert, but it is the only time 10cc played there, IIRC. So yeah prolly so! If it is not too late..."hey good to see you here!" (What? Thirty seven odd years later?!)

Yep. Forum, Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Universal Amphitheater, Santa Monica Civic.

Got to see Supertramp, ELO, and 10cc as a youngster at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. During their first showing here in the states, all of them

Got to see ELO again at Universal. when the band did an encore a hot air balloon up from behind the stage. Breath taking sight when the lasers were lit up and the mirrored ball suspended beneath the hot air balloon spread those beams over our heads as it turned, while being illuminated by the lasers. Surreal stuff.

By the way Jean Luc Ponty was terrific the first time at the SMCA, second time, meh. Different band members, less flash and awe. :>)

(I think 10cc fans have a heightened awareness that one of their faves is a band not for every one. Good to see some who have appreciated this fun and intelligent outfit.)

Gotta add the "Crosby and Nash" acoustic concert at the Universal sometime in the late seventies. I would wish that concert on anyone. Superlatives fail me...

14. getbent

I was in Nadine's once when the supertramp keyboard player was trying out a bunch of wurly's.... kind of a fun day...

I think one of the most amazing shows I saw at the smca was John David Souther on his Black Rose tour... oh man! tore the house down....

I remember seeing ELO maybe on the tour before the balloon/spaceship thing... they used to shoot lasers into the clear acrylic string players instruments... whoa!

15. SimpleOne

Sorry for the subject change Mr. OP

gotta smile! haha Well, we was lucky young men...those smaller venues just heated things up, it seems.

That Supertramp player was probably Richard Davies, as I recall. He had the lower voice, think "Crime of the Century." and "Rudy". He and the other front man were quite a team. Rodger Hodgson (sp?) sang higher up in the register, think "Dreamer", a song heavy with keyboards.Very cool stuff GB! Man you were livin' right. I'd bet many people stopped and craned their necks when they heard that music live in a store.
    Admired Souther, never saw him. ELO? Good showmen. yep yep yep.

By the way...when does a Burning Man Thread surface here?

Resolve still alive?

16. getbent

Burning man is still a go. I have two huge projects to complete in July... if those go well... then, BM is a go fo sho.

17. SimpleOne

Cool...keep hope alive...take care...

18. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Remember how when Burning Man was mentioned, I told how, when a person decides to go for the first time when they're in their 40s, I tend to view it as the sign of some sort of mid-life crisis? Then I gave as an example a woman I know who went to BM, then left her husband shortly thereafter. Well, since then, the woman who went with her (a Facebook friend/acquaintance of mine) has also left her husband and taken up with a famous novelist. Yes, yes... these people are not you. Isolated, anecdotal evidence, etc. Nonetheless, someone might want to give your wives a heads-up.

19. getbent

[​IMG]

look, look, up in the sky! What is it? Is it Skully?

NOoooooo silly, it is just Johnny Raincloud!

Bring the doom skulls, bring the doom!

20. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

My track record as a weatherman is pret-ty damn good. Especially on this forum. Especially when people are gettin' all up in arms. Now, I'm not forecasting a monsoon. I just want people to consider the possibility of rain.

That's my 10cc right back atcha. In yo face!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.