Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

······*10cc > Queen ·······

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by getbent, May 22, 2010.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

10cc still sounds fresh and perfect...

I was driving in a very strange place the other day and I wondered "how come I love 10cc and I don't really even like Queen when they are so much alike?"

Weird. If you have never listened much to 10cc... give these two songs a listen... they are soooo good!

and they were just as good in person!

2. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    Oh yeah, one of my favorite albums is this:

[​IMG]

My experience is that the solid gold hooks are all in the singles--the non-single album tracks are really interesting, but lack the super hummability of their singles. The production and arrangements on all their stuff is amazing.

3. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    Dreadlock Holiday is great too.

The only Queen song I can think of that reminds me of 10cc is 'You're My Best Friend' and frankly Queen wins on that one because it's direct whereas 10cc always went for a little quirk (nothing wrong with that but it gets a bit cerebral).

I think of 10cc more as the British Steely Dan.

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I've always found 10CC a little too soft-pop for me, especially "I'm Not in Love," which I absolutely loath.
    I guess you hear something similar to Queen, getbent, but I've never heard anything from 10cc that sounds like Tie Your Mother Down, or I'm in Love With My Car, or Another One Bites the Dust.
    I think I was too much into heavier rock in the Seventies, and my dislike of 10cc from back then has never wavered. I'll take Queen, even their bombastic opera-rock, over 10cc any day.

5. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    i'll probably catch some grief over this, but "I'm Not In Love" is one of my top 5 favorite records of all time

after the group split, Godley and Creme went on to do some interesting stuff:

didja know their guitarist Eric Stewart got his start with The Mindbenders? he took over lead vocals when Wayne Fontana left the group. here his is singing their most famous number:

Stewart has done some solo recording through the years, and was part of Paul McCartney's band in the mid-1980's ("Tug of War" through "Press To Play")

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

10cc over Queen?

10cc over QUEEN!?!?!

++

Actually, you bet your life. I don't know whether they're that much alike, but I will take 10cc easy, no sweat.

Added bonus: Get to disagree with Kelnet!

++

I do sometimes like hypertheatric bands like Queen. There's a band call The Virgin Prunes with had Edge's brother on lead guitar. Fun!

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Kelnet, if you listen to their full albums, you'll hear the harder stuff....

so, my path to 10cc was through my brother, but also through a girlfriend in high school. Her brother played in Ambrosia who was produced by Alan Parsons who had made the tales of mystery and imagination and used guys from Ambrosia, Pilot (a great band!) and the 10cc guys were kind of connected to (memories like the corners of my mind, sorta)... then, Andrew Gold (the linda ronstadt/thank you for being a friend and a hero of mine) was connected to those boys as well (they made some records together)

Anyway, keep posting those videos! I dig the walk down memory lane. and no harm meant for the Queen lovers....

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

First time I heard "Killer Queen" over the radio I thought it was 10cc.

9. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    This is odd, I've never considered them at all similar. For whatever faults Queen may have, I never felt like any band was similar to them. However, I'm not real familiar with 10cc's album stuff, having mostly heard the mainstream radio songs.

As for "The Things We Do For Love..." Ugh, not a fan (at all) of that one.

10. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Strange how different people hear different things. I was playing the clips you linked and my wife came in and said, "What's that? Sounds so OLD!" :p

I agree that some of their earlier tracks sound similar, but in the long run, I greatly prefer Queen. More complex harmonies, more progressive guitar riffage, and nobody, not even Pavrotti, could sing better than Freddie Mercury...

I offer these for your consideration:

Freddie Mercury was a once-in-a-century talent... A Youtube search for "Freddie Mercury Tribute" results in over 93,000 matches.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Freddie+Mercury+Tribute&aq=f

11. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    Wow, I'd never made that connection. I guess I can sort of see it, in terms of production values and approach. Still though, bands sound like they do or like they did because they were different individuals with different ideas. I can listen to Pablo Cruise and Crawler and be reminded of many bands before and since, but Pablo Cruise and Crawler sound like they did/do because they had the chemistry that constituted Pablo Cruise and Crawler. Queen and 10cc sound like vastly different sounding bands to me. Perhaps because his recorded output is as obvious (or pervasive) as it is, I've channeled Brian May as an influence as to arrangement more times than I'd care to admit. That said, no apologies. Dude's a genius, I'm quite happy to list him as an influence.

"I'm Not In Love" is one of my fave pop tracks of all time. Right up there with Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street", Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat", Chicago's "Feeling Stronger Every Day", Bread's "Everything I Own", The Carpenters' "Superstar", ABBA's "Dancing Queen", Seals & Crofts' "Diamond Girl" and "Summer Breeze", not to even get into The Beatles and Elton John.

We all hear things differently.

12. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    I can kinda see why you might compare 10cc and Queen. Both bands loved to explore the recording process and liked to push the boundaries of their respective arts.

Take "I'm Not In Love" for example. The number of overdubs that they put into the backing vocals was staggering. Contrast that with the stuff Brian May was doing on some of the earlier Queen Albums, (backwards tape riffs, playing 3 Space Echos one into another as well as the vocal overdubs etc) and you can see the similarities.

But for me Queen wins out because they had a longer career with it. OK by the time they'd recorded say "Hot Space" they'd stopped being innnovative in the studio, but up until then they'd had a string of great albums with some great songs. But they managed to do all they did with their original line-up, whereas 10cc stuggled (IMO) after the split by Godley & Creme

I like 10cc also, but for me Queen wins out.

13. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Neither have I. But I've always loved 10CC more than Queen. Great band, great songs.

And I've always preferred Stewart/Gouldman to Godley/Creme. They were at their best together, though.

Eric Stewart joined the TDPRI in Nov. 2008 to ask about a Telecaster he had, but left after a few days (which I tought he would:oops:). He's still a member it seems.

14. telepathetic

telepathetic Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2009
    Raleigh, NC

15. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    Hey! Ambrosia? Really. Road Island is one of my favorite albums...

My introduction to 10CC was through my coke dealing neighbor with a killer stereo and crates upon crates of vinyl. How Dare You is still one of my faves...

16. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX
    Take Queen's 10 whimpiest songs and you've got a pretty good 10 CC greatest hits album. Oh!

17. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    Try this sometime...

Listen to The Cars and Queen back to back and see how Roy Thomas Baker shaped both bands' sound. You'll hear echoes of Queen's familiar operatic sound in the massed backing vocals of something like 'Best Friend's Girl'.

It's wild!

Killer Queen does have a 10cc sound, I agree. Sheer Heart Attack is the one Queen album that I would say is indispensable: Now I'm Here, Brighton Rock, She Makes Me... a phenomenal '70s Hard Rock masterpiece that can easily convert anyone into a fan. Crank it up!

18. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    I like 10cc just fine -- I own a couple of their albums, the "Cry" 12-inch single, etc. -- but better than Queen?! No. I think one can objectively state that Queen was better than 10cc. Two words: "Bohemian Rhapsody." Love it or hate it, case closed. But 10cc really did rock Live Aid, didn't they?

10cc member Graham Gouldman did produce one of my favorite Ramones albums ("Pleasant Dreams").

19. deepea

deepea Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2009
    SLC
    Queen over 10cc any day. Queen has the presence, the talent, and Freddy's
    voice is unmatched.

I will say that I do like the 10cc lyric "I keep your picture upon the wall, it
    hides a nasty stain that's lying there".

20. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    A league of one for sure.

The only voices that are similar at times would be Eric Carmen w/ the Raspberries and (a little more obscure here...) The Left Banke's Steve Martin.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.