Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

´nother strange ebay ad

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bruce_99, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    This is obviously a Japanese copy built sometime during that transition period between the time when they built absolute crap and the time they built finely crafted guitars.

2. Big John

Big John RIP

Feb 1, 2006
    Austin Tx.
    You know, maybe it's the furnace like heat and brain numbing humidity we have got in town today but i just can't even manage a smart a** reply to this drivel !

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    The auction poster has recanted, and added to his description that its a bad partscaster.

4. timmer

timmer Tele-Afflicted

Not to mention no string through holes:

[​IMG]

5. pengipete

pengipete Friend of Leo's

Feb 6, 2008
    UK
    I've already advised him to remove this and relist it with an accurate description for his own sake as much as the bidders.

Fair's fair though, anyone bidding on this thing deserves to get shafted. It is nasty and I wouldn't buy it even if it was made by Fender.

6. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Still with 6 days to go and its selling for more than you can buy a Squier Affinity new!

7. pengipete

Feb 6, 2008
    UK
    I gave him a chance to withdraw iy but I just got a smartarse reply. Reported to eBay as copyright infingement and a fake.

8. Bruce_99

Bruce_99 Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2006
    Germany

9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip

10. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND

11. 59TweedVibrolux

59TweedVibrolux Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2008
    Australia
    With a description like that I wouldn't even bother re-listing it. Who would
    buy it, unless its 10 GBP, and you picked it up locally (no shipping costs).

I'm sure a nicer one could be found in a local Pawn Shop, that would at least
    have some resale value to it.

12. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

May 17, 2008
    West Coast
    100% Trashcaster

holy crr@p that's a bad partscaster. Love the mishmash of screws - I'd hate to see what's under the control plate, or pickguard for that matter.

Tuur Nailed it, but even still, I wouldn't use it to open a bottle of beer. I have more respect for my beer than that. :D

13. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Well, I got an Aria tele from just after this period... mine doesn't have that truss rod cover, but still a neck from multiple pieces of laminated wood, plus a say 16 piece unknown wood body.
    It's not that bad a guitar really, but far from a Fender.

And I think that's the thing. Although he doesn't ask the highest price, and the current price is decent as well, he lists it as a Fender. Just lose the decal and the name and it's ok.

14. pengipete

Feb 6, 2008
    UK
    Typical - I reported the original ad to eBay under the copyright and trademark rules and they pulled the ad but then they let him relist it as a Fender.

I'd say "buyer beware" given that it is such an obvious P.O.S. but people like this spoil it for everyone and eBay is such a useful tool for many of us who don't have access to well-stocked retailers.

15. adamjs69

adamjs69 Tele-Holic

May 2, 2008
    Charleston, WV
    This is exactly why I RARELY will buy a used guitar anymore unless I know 100% where it came from. While to me, this example is obviously not what it is claimed to be, there are way too many partscasters and downright "accurate" fakes floating around for me to take a chance. Im no dummy when it comes to these things, but Im also no expert so most of the time I stick to new or "I know where its been" used guitars. I also know a few "expert" vintage guitar dealers who have been burned badly by fakes, so it is a lot more common than you'd think...

16. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

May 17, 2008
    West Coast
    we need a Top 10 of bad signs the seller is bogus

I'm wary of going OT or on a rant about Teh 'Bay, but for what its worth, I find it's the only decent outlet for most of my transactions, buy or sell. With that said, I think it has a lot left to be desired, and their fees are ridiculous.

But in the spirit of the topic, some of my pet peeves with sellers are:

If someone's selling a 'real deal' on ebay, they'd better be forth coming, easy to communicate with, willing to send excruciatingly detailed pics, and most of all, demonstrate that they've done their homework, none of this "I'm no guitar expert" or "my best friend's sister's boyfriend used to work in a music shop, and he told me... ". If pulling the neck off is too scary, get a professional, get an appraisal, and DOCUMENTS fer goodness sake. It's not difficult!

Sellers I won't go near:

First time sellers with 0 feedback selling "100% under the bed, out of the closet, 1955.. blah blah blah". Yeah, and I've got a Nigerian bank account with a Bazillion dollars in that I need your help accessing... :rolleyes:

Sellers who post only out of focus shots and refuse to send or post more, ferggetitt.

Sellers who don't respond to any legitimate questions - why bother? When the guitar never shows up, what makes you think they'll answer yer emails then?

Sellers who insist on changing the payment method (ie direct transfer) after the auction. Keep to the rules/original plan (I've avoided several scammers doing exactly this).

Sellers with less than a 99% positive rating and who do not constructively address each negative feedback. Mistakes happen and there are cranks out there, but professionalism reigns supreme. Histrionics don't help.

Any seller insisting you contact them/complete the transaction outside of the auction site - there's a reason Craigslist is free. No Consumer Protection. I like my protection, so fuhgetaboutit.

okay, that's my soapbox rant for now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.