Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

´nother strange ebay ad

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bruce_99, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Musicman1

Musicman1 Tele-Meister

Jan 23, 2008
    Arkansas
    Yeah, right.

I love how he is following the Ebay rules.

"OBVIOUSLY IF I FEEL IM GOING TO LOSE MONEY ON THIS GUITAR I WILL REMOVE IT FROM THE AUCTION AND SELL IT PRIVATELY...I START MOST OF MY LISTINGS OFF AT A PENNY AND THIS ONE IS STARTING THE SAME"

LOL

2. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

Aug 27, 2007
    UK

That one sentence violates Ebay policy on it's own as correctly implied .

Anyone here think that's genuine ? Iffy decal positioning mefinx to name but one .
    Did they have vintage white in 1954 ?

Next time I have a few quid , i'll buy a vintage guitar to make a profit by putting it on Ebay for a penny ;)

3. bug music

bug music Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2004
    Taxachusetts
    That looks like a genuine '54 truss rod cover to me. :eek:

- Jay

4. MulliganChebichev

MulliganChebichev Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    There's actually 5 bids for that?

5. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands

6. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2007
    Australia
    deal of the century imo!

7. 51tele

51tele Tele-Holic

Aug 15, 2006
    new orleans
    I think that is some sort of japanese copy

8. Musicman1

Musicman1 Tele-Meister

Jan 23, 2008
    Arkansas
    wow, I think it is for sure that Ibanez, how funny!

9. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

tuuur nailed it!
    Somebody is going to get "Fished in; Fished in".

10. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

Aug 27, 2007
    UK

The only thing I see similar to the Ibanez is the truss cover .

Without stating the obvious about bridge , and pickups , neck wood etc , the neck dots on the Ibanez are not the same .
    May be a Japanese copy , may be a Fender lol , but the headstock doesn't even look like wood . It looks painted .

11. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ireland
    At the very least, pickguard not original. Bridge plate with Fender script logo 'stamped' on it? Never seen that on a Fender before. Something odd about the bridge pickup too. Were the 12th fret markers that far apart on a @1954 Tele'?

Could be anything really.

12. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I think the 3 pieces of maple glued together to make the neck gives this one away without even getting into the nitty gritty.

Then theres the toggle switch, the painted headstock, the incorrect string tree, trussrod cover, and are those slotted steel barrel saddles?
    Hmm what else,
    pickguard is off a modern guitar, too many holes, plus the pup is mounted to the dang thing.
    The bridgeplate has screw holes on the upper portion towards the neck.
    Tuners are wrong, and if you look at where the paint has chipped it looks a lot like particle board.
    And it looks like there is a black piece of plastic glued on top of the bridge pickup.
    Oh yeah, take a look at that jack plate.

13. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2007
    Brittany
    I don't know what brand or year it is, except it is not a Fender, nor a 1954 guitar. :confused:

14. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

Aug 27, 2007
    UK
    Which may translate into " cash preferred ... don't want to have Paypal suspend my bank account " lol ;)

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

How common is it for scammers to develop an e-bay identity selling large numbers of chinese trinkets or whatever, then using that positive rating to try and catch a real big fish.

Sure was a shame that that 1954 poly body got damaged like that.

16. pengipete

pengipete Friend of Leo's

Feb 6, 2008
    UK
    I thought that but his feedback shows he's been selling for few years with the sales well spread out and no obvious pattern there.

It's a horrible guitar by any standards but I was thinking that he's just an idiot rather than a scammer.

I'm more worried about the people bidding on the thing - what are they on?

17. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

You know, when I first saw this it was yesterday, but someone else beat me to posting it on the TDPRI. I guess if it actually went for the price it is at at the moment it wouldn't be too bad a deal, for what it is, a fairly bad (but by no means the worst) telecaster copy. My guess is that its something like a Welson or a Columbus or something like that, and likely to be mid 1970s. This seems to be from the era where copies, started to look a bit more like the real thing, as opposed to nothing like. If someone actually got it for its current price and then posted it up on here, as a thread with pics, some of us would find it mildly interesting and amusing.

But...

When I first saw it it was at about £15, it is now at £78 with 8 days to go!!
    I hope it doesnt go for much more than that, cos if it does someone is going to get ripped off.

I'm going to watch it though, out of nothing more than vicarious fascination. Better than reality TV anyday!

18. Marchdriver

Marchdriver TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Lancashire
    arggghh, this is my first post, wanted it to be something constructive like showing you my battered old project tele, but just had to comment on this!

I'm from Preston, where this guy is, born there, I feel ashamed!!! Us northerners like our teles. I wanna go round and bash him round the head! I hope he's just thick as a plank and isn't actually just plain evil...:(

19. 59TweedVibrolux

59TweedVibrolux Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2008
    Australia
    Where did he buy it..... Fake Guitars R Us :lol:

Colt W Knight pretty much covered it all.

He bought it to make a profit ???

Scary question is........ How much did he pay for it ???

Sad......he seems a genuine guy. 156 Deals & 100% Positive Feedback.

Seller found one........now all this guy needs is to find one..... :lol: :lol:

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.