Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

´71 Thinline Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by KellyTelly, Sep 13, 2018.

1. KellyTelly

KellyTelly NEW MEMBER!

Sep 13, 2018
    scandinavia
    Hi TDPRI collective,

Ive been offered a chance to buy a ´71 Thinline tele. The deal includes a part trade in with my old Starfire II , which I never use.

The tele is refin´ed in black , and has an aftermarket Duncan in the neck - the rest is original.

I tried it yesterday, and while it is a cool guitar, it is decidedly oldschool (nothing wrong with that, but sadly I dont play in a STAX/ATCO style band) and doesnt really live up to my Rick Kelly pinecasters tone and power.

So the thing is, I would probably buy the thinline mostly to get on the vintage fender train while I have the chance. Either that, or I would put some Lollars or Mares in it to get closer to the ooomph that I want to use live.

So, my question to you, dear telecaster sages - what would you do?

All the best - KT

2. Boiled_Strings

Boiled_Strings TDPRI Member

Aug 5, 2018
    England
    Get it. Could swap the pickups out for something with more power like rails or Quarter Pounders if that’s your thing.

3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    This is easy:
    * if the guitar is something that I was sure I could flip up (as in make something on) in the future, I might buy it, anyway
    * If I thought the guitar was a fair market price at ask, I'd find a different guitar that I actually liked

It's refinished without the original pickups, which I'd imagine causes a serious value problem.

You can't make age (as in, you can't make a new antique), but that doesn't mean that an old guitar will be any better than a new one (most of the older ones have some problems, and then you're left figuring out what you can do that doesn't kill the guitar value).

Separate note, I'm not into vintage guitars, but saw a video the other day of someone talking about a vintage telecaster being knocked way down in value because it'd been refretted due to heavy playing. Still original everything except for the frets. I guess a collector would want to have a guitar that had horrible grinding action on string bends, just to preserve the original frets, which is just another reason that I'll never try to figure out what fickle collectors want.

4. d barham

d barham TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2018
    Halfway, MO
    I'm assuming you're trading your Starfire plus cash. Depending on how much cash or how little, it may be the most value you're able to get out of the Starfire that you don't use. The thinline is definitely the cooler guitar, but for me it just boils down to money.

5. FenderScott

FenderScott TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I would do it if the price was right and it played well. It sounds like you are not in love with it. Vintage player grade Tele's can be found at a good price if you keep your eyes open so you may be better waiting to find one that works for you.

6. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    I would not buy a Thinline which didn’t compare well to your Rick Kelly. Keep looking. When you land on a vintage guitar you love, grab it. Keep saving your dough for the right one.

7. tunerfish

tunerfish TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Tennessee
    A refinish and non-original pickup. Most vintage collectors would pass. That makes it a player’s guitar. Not investment grade. Research for similar player grade prices for that model and year.
    P.S. An expert re-fret ain’t a deduction for most in the vintage market.

8. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island
    A big part of the value of those guitars is the original WRHB...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.