Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

£999 American Standards.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Vintagebrit, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

Had a couple of emails from UK Guitar dealers.
    American Standard Teles and Strats now £999.
    Good price, but does that mean there's a new version imminent?

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I'd say yes. Typically dealers will want to move old inventory when informed of a newer version of an existing model. I would expect a new name as well.

hs0504 likes this.

3. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Fender are discontinuing the 'Standard' model AFAIK

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Tele standard with the current pickups is tempting.

5. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    I would be very careful with some UK stock. Picked up and tried a US Standard Strat last week at a suburban guitar superstore(...). The frets had more sprout than Brussels! It was shocking! Horrible and unplayable. I think it was full retail priced at £1495, so maybe not a Standard, then, but a "better" model:lol:
    It was this one 111800800 - Vintage 65 Strat.

I would seriously think about a quality partscaster rather than spend money on this junk, I've said it now.

6. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Yes, the American Standards are discontinued and will be replaced with a "next generation" model to be released in January. From what's being talked about online Fender is going to change the name to "American Pro", much like they changed the name of the American Deluxe to American Elite when the revised model came out in January of this year.

7. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    That's insane. A Mexican Roadworn costs more than that!

8. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Hmm, I wonder what 'improvements' we can expect from the next incarnation. IMO the current Standard diverged too far from what I love about the Telecaster anyway. Change for the sake of it? Substantial price hike to go with the 'Pro' appellation is guaranteed...

9. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    You can't generalise based on one guitar you've seen, and what wasn't even what is being discussed.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    That's really an environmental issue not a manufacturing issue. Somewhere along the line that guitar was allowed to sit in very low humidity for an extended period of time. Fortunately fret spout is easily curable. Some filing of the fret ends now when they're at their worst coupled with humidification and it will never be a problem again.

11. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Bruno Mars' guitarist (evidently a Fender endorser) floated a photo of the "American Pro" Strat about a month ago on his instagram account - I saw it reposted to a thread on Strat-Talk. It was a new dark green color, and it was sitting in the new-style case they are using with the American Elites. It was a small photo, but you could see that it still had the truss rod adjuster/walnut plug on the headstock instead of the wheel-style adjuster at the heel they are using on the American Elites. Since you couldn't see the back I don't know what they have done to the neck heel. I'm guessing they may be using the older-style contoured neck heel like they had on the old American Deluxes (and are using on The Edge Strat and the MIM Deluxe series). I'm also guessing they are moving away from the micro-tilt since they took it off the Elite series and it isn't on The Edge Strat either.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

12. rogb

rogb Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    London, England
    It isn't a generalisation, it's an observation based on a UK guitar for sale.
    It's a USA Strat so not too different to the Standard, except more expensive.
    Hope that meets with your criteria.

13. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California

14. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    ..... its true - get one before they are gone forever .

Mr Swisher likes this.

15. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Get it for the fact that they won't stay at that price. I don't know how they do it at the price they've been at and wages and costs of manufacturing in California or on the rise. It's a good guitar with great pickups.

Mr Swisher likes this.

16. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    A Vintage Reissue Strat couldn't be more different from a US Standard-pickups, neck, frets, neck profile, hardware. All significant differences.

17. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

My Vintage RI has a U/D shaped neck, Vintage pickups, 3 way switch, 3 bolt neck, vintage (six screw) tremolo, vintage tuners.
    Totally different to my American Standard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.