Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

£1500 for a squier?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rotheryrules, Oct 30, 2015.

1. rotheryrules

rotheryrules Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2011
    Manchester Uk
    So I know that clearly some hard work has gone into this to make it an Andy Summers replica but I can't get past the price!

I'm sure the run fender did a while back weren't much dearer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301783704623

2. wiretap

wiretap Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2014
    Arkansas
    File under: You must be high.

3. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

Jan 2, 2010
    UK
    Make that £1500 for a Squier body.

4. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    Looking at his past sales it looks like he's sold many of these 'tribute/relic' guitars, so he's not the only one who's high. Although he's accepted a best offer in most cases so who knows what they actually went for.

5. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2009
    N. Ireland
    "retro-fitted with Fender tribute logos"

6. rotheryrules

rotheryrules Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2011
    Manchester Uk
    I suppose there are people out there who have more money than they know what to do with and would just see the whole rather than the parts it's made from.

Madness

7. funff

funff Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2008
    UK
    There are quite a few mentions of this company in threads on TDPRI. I'd advise anyone considering a purchase to research carefully before parting with any hard earned green stuff.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe

9. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    I can't imagine anybody wanting it.

10. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    What was the expression ?

"There's a sucker born each minute"

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Offer him $379. I think that's what brand new Classic Vibes go for.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Wouldn't this be illegal?
    A company removing Squier decals and applying Fender decals, then selling the fakes for BIG profit?
    Disclosure isn't enough to excuse the crime, if not strictly for personal use.

13. Dismalhead

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I believe you are correct there. Trademark infringement. Not illegal to own, but illegal to sell (or import). No different than the flood of fake Rickenbackers I see all the time on my local Craigslist.

Now I will prepare for the onslaught of people saying it's no big deal.

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    It has little to do with the fake Rickenbackers, because a lot of those say something else on the headstock and are not trying to pass off as the real thing.

15. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2011
    London, England
    It looks like a nice job, but I agree the price is jaw dropping! I also don't see the need to replace the logo, that stinks for me.

16. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    It is a big deal though as sooner or later that guitar will end up advertised for sale as a Fender. Might be in two years, might be in twenty but eventually it will end in the hands of someone wanting to make money.

17. Dismalhead

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Yep, that's pretty much how I see it. Unless it's a legit restoration, no one should ever put a decal on a guitar that's not what it is.

I think I got jaded in the '90s when a friend spent a lot of cash on a '63 Strat that turned out to be a fake.

18. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    That's about $2400 US, yikes. As far as I can tell, there's around $800 into it, including the Squier, the brass bridge setup, preamp, SD humbucker, and including another 150 for other stuff, like the phony decal. $1600 labor and markup.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    The company that created the "fake" is already making money selling a counterfeit trademarked brand logo that doesn't belong to them.

If I sell you stolen goods and tell you the goods were stolen, it doesn't excuse the crime.
    Fender doesn't care if you mod and sell a Squier, they care if you manufacture and sell their logo.
    A buyer getting ripped off is a separate crime from Fender getting ripped off.
    In a way Fender benefits from the current risk of buying used Fenders, since the market is full of fakes- this could encourage buyers to spend on new instead of used.

Hey! The listing is gone!

Edit: It's baaaack...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

20. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I think it is actually illegal to won as well.

And yes, guitars like that are a big deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.