The Gospel Benefits of a Fender T-Shirt - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Worship Service Players
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Worship Service Players Religious service players discussion forum. Open to all religions. [b]No religious theology discussion, just guitar & playing performance discussion.[/b]

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 28th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The Gospel Benefits of a Fender T-Shirt

I found this article recently and find it relevant to some postings (and this is my 1st post).

http://www.fischtank.com/ccmarticles...cmarticleid=35

Enjoy

DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2003, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Welcome DavidM

It's good to have you aboard this news group area.

Such a good topic that you opened up as well. This article is so true to life in America.

My son is constantly dreaming up clever sayings about the subject of Christianity. And he wants to print these sayings on T-shirts (though we have not made any yet). He is only 13 and is making a name for himself at school because of the Christian T-shirts that he buys and wears everyday. I'm sure that there are those who think of him as a Christian geek. I think that is really cool. At least everyone knows where he stands in his passion.

At this point in his peer pressure world, his T-shirts (that he buys, not makes up), get a lot of attension, good and bad. In his age group, very few people at his school are strangers forever. This is a case where the "something in common with a stranger" approach does not work as well.

However, I will agree with the article. For the rest of us adults, a Fender shirt does strike up a lot of conversations with strangers (I know first hand). I need to remember to witness to them. Not to the point of being annoying, but for those few oppotunities that the doors opens wide.

Thanks for such a great opening post here.

On Facebook
reverbbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
bek
Tele-Holic

Superb first post, DavidM! I've felt the same way for a long time, but not really examined my thinking about it. This article clarifies what I was feeling.
bek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 4th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

"Jesus Junk"?

I just ran across this post and can honestly say, no non-Christian has ever talked to me about an overtly Christian T-shirt.

They're good for
- building group cohesiveness
- remembering a concert or other event
- reminding me of who I am

But they're not good as "witness wear". Why? Because most people in the world DON'T want to be witnessed to! If they thought they wanted Jesus, they'd know where to find Him (at least on any Sunday morning).

When I realized that I started being intentional in hanging out at one specific guitar shop (which has led to several spiritual conversations) and take my car to a brand-specific, independent mechanic (which has led to several more such conversations).

MANY more people want to talk guitars than talk salvation, but by wearing a guitar shirt maybe we can talk both!

Thanks to J.F. for writing the article in the first place; always a great writer.

Check out the band at www.brightredtie.com
ravindave_3600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

David!

Welcome!

What's the song from Steven Curtis Chapman, that say's:

"I got my Jesus T-shirt on, my Jesus bumper sticker, my fish <>< key chain, yada, yada, yada, ......(and then the chorus), but what about the Faith, what about the Life, what about the Grace, what about the Witness......"

Yeah, I used to wear a lot of "Christian" T-Shirt's, but it finally dawned on me, that only other Beleivers, would come up and talk to me. Matter of fact, I noticed alot of people treating me indifferently, and trying to avoid me. I remember one instance, where a mother was concerned, that her 9-10 year old boy might talk to me, so she reigned him in, and whispered something in his ear. I got a long, open mouth stare from that boy. I figure momma musta said somethin like no dont talk to that Jesus freak, and he was just tryin to get a good gander at what a Jesus freak looks like.

So at that point, I decided to stop wearing "Christian" T-shirt's, because, this shirt, was putting people off, to the point, where they could not see me, and the testimony in my life. They probably figure, that only a "Moonie", or some one caught up in a cult would wear something like that.

I still dig seein those t-shirt's. Sometimes they even make me stop and think, and ponder on God's Word. But as far as a Testimony goes, I want my life to scream out, "I belong to Jesus!", and I want to let others, see Christ's Love in my life.

And I am sorry, I didnt go check out the article posted, I just sorta got the gist of it, from everyone's responses. As soon as I get a chance, I'll go back and read that article.

Sorry for gettin long winded. And again, David, Welcome, Welcome, WELCOME! I look forward to hearin some more from you!

Old June 4th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The Lord Works In Mysterious Ways

His wonders to perform. So my mother has said for at least the 45 years that I have been alive. And its true.

David thank you for validating my experiences! I am the pastor of a very small church and am somewhat unorthodox in that I try to be a person too.

Last weekend I went to Dallas Fort Worth to visist some friends who were having a house warming. Few people knew me and we were able to sit and talk as people do, about sports, music, life in general. Everything was cool until somebody started talking about going to the river boat to gamble (somewhere in Shreveport), and my friends father informed them that I was a pastor. Suddenly everyone needed to apologize for what they were doing and saying the conversation basically died and for the next two days people avoided me embarrassed by my presence. And made me realize, again, how ostracized we become when we make a stand for the Lord. I didn't push the issue of salvation on anyone but I was able to witness to some and let them know that they didn't need to apologize to me because they were drinking beer, gambling or anything else, if they were embarrassed by me they had it wrong because I am a sinner saved by grace, living under the amnesty given through the blood of Christ. They told me that I was a strange "Reverend", that I didn't present myself like the other preachers they had known.

Guerilla Christianity works if we let it. Look at John Chapter 4, the quintessential (sp) lesson on witnessing to the unsaved, unchurched. Jesus starts the conversation about water and leads this woman to eternal life. In the middle he deals with her life style by commending her for being honest about it! If we could just learn to take Christ to people where they are it would be so much easier. We can't force it down their throats but we should be "salty" in our life style so that we can make others thirst for what we have. We are the salt of the earth and salt makes people reach for water. Christians who are salt will make people reach for Jesus.

Where anything, within reason, that gives you an opportunity to have others talk to you, start a conversation about that and then you can explain your joy in the Lord.

Thanks for your post, a very good one.

Peter
Ptrallan01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Abnormal Persons...

aka "Peculiar People".

My wife works with a woman we socialize with 4-5 times a year. The woman told her Tuesday (after we went to her oldest daughter's graduation on Saturday), "My husband likes David - he doesn't seem like a preacher." Coming from someone in the world, that's a compliment!

My church, too, is very small, but between the telecaster and the sound teaching we're trying to become what God wants us to be.........

Old July 10th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Blue Like Jazz

Well it's been a while since I posted the Fender T-Shirt article and I find it fascinating how these things evolve.

The posts to date reflect the depth of John Fischer's book "Fearless Faith." This is convicting book for our times.

Add to that another book, "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller, and we can see that God doesn't "need" us to do anything but He sure likes it when we follow Him wherever that might be.

"No man knows which way the wind blows, and so it is with everything born of the Spirit." - Jesus

Old July 10th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Re: Blue Like Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM
Add to that another book, "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller...

"No man knows which way the wind blows, and so it is with everything born of the Spirit." - Jesus
I've heard of this Jesus guy :D , but tell us more about Donald Miller and his book.

Old July 12th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I remember reading that article when it first came out in CCM. I've made several references to it since. In fact I've actually used a modified version.

My modified version is "The gospel benefits of a guitar pick." I don't know how many times a cashier will ask, "do you play guitar" when I pull out my change and there are a couple of guitar picks. It gives me a great opportunity to say yes I play in my church praise band. Sometimes it stops there, sometimes it spurs more conversation.

My guitars
Wahwax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

WWJD

I have a friend who must be the ultimate customer for the guys making money on Christian "lifestyle" products. It starts with his car with stickers and bumper stickers. His clothes are covered in scriptures and Christian images. He wears buttons, have keychains with scriptures on and so on. He looks like a walking ad for these kinds of products.
I have never heard him talk about Jesus or Christianity with anyone. I have never seen him pray with anyone and as far as I know, he hasn't. In his own words his mission is to provoke people to think of Christ.
I do not know if it is working. I have never actually heard of anyone provoked into being a Christian. What I ask myself is WWJD (what would Jesus do). I do not think he would run around with slogan T-shirts and the works. If I recall my Bible right, he showed who he was and what he was through his actions and words. I think or actions and words speak way louder than any Scripture T-shirt or keychain.
I am far from perfect. My words and actions often suck to be quite honest, at least as far as setting an example goes. However people I work with now know what the concept “saved by grace means”. They know I am not saved because I am better or holier than them, but because I accepted the gift of salvation.
Yeah I think a Gibson T-shirt, a Fender caps or even a couple of Dunlop picks can open up more conversation than most Christian lifestyle products. I have a friend from the west coast of Norway, guitarist, devoted fisherman and a sincere Christian. Accordingly to him he tried most of the available scripture T-shirts. Funny enough the T-shirt that got him the most openings was not a Christian one although it might have looked like one. It read “Cod is Good”

Old July 12th, 2004, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

More on "Blue Like Jazz"

Someone asked about Donald Miller and his book, Blue Like Jazz. Here's what I know...
-The book was "calling me" from the shelf at Borders. I could not put it down.
-The sub-title is "Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality."
-It is published by Thomas Nelson Publishers (a Christian publisher), Nashville.
-I have read it once, my wife picked it up read it and then immediately started re-reading it. (She has only done that with Tozer's "The Pursuit of God" and Brother Lawrence's "Practicing the Presence of God."
-A close friend bought it because of our talking about it and called me one day just to read me something from it.
-The author is a 30-something guy who lives in Washington state.
-I was going to copy some quotes from the book but that reduces it. I highly recommend this book and no, I don't work for Nelson or (right now anyway) anyone else for that matter.

Old July 13th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I think Christian T-Shirts end up being more for edification for other Christians than a witness. It's nice to see other Christians in your everyday life. Unfortunately they needed a T-shirt to let people know they were a Christian.

My guitars
Wahwax is offline   Reply With Quote