Southern Gospel pickers! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Worship Service Players
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Worship Service Players Religious service players discussion forum. Open to all religions. [b]No religious theology discussion, just guitar & playing performance discussion.[/b]

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 22nd, 2006, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Southern Gospel pickers!

A question for the Southern Gospel fans out there...who is your favorite SG musician? I'm kinda partial to Kelly Back (he's my second cousin by marriage). Who do you like?
Adam

Old January 28th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Not exclusively SG, but for a long time I've been a big fan of Wanda Vick, who plays on the Gaither vids. Plays monstrously well on guitar, fiddle, mandolin, dobro, banjo.

All the band members with Gaither are just outrageously good. Anthony Burger on piano, Buddy Greene on harmonica...wow.

Old January 28th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Wanda Vick & Wild Rose....Gary Lunn

Wild Rose was an all female band with two releases; Wanda played great Tele along with mandolin and fiddle.

I've seen Gary Lunn, one of my favorite worship bassists, with Gaither on the tv shows
Rick Towne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old January 29th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Wanda Vick is awesome on mandolin...haven't got to hear her play a Tele. I bet it's good. Yep, Gaither hires the best players in the biz. Roger Fortner is another great player you don't hear much about. He travels with the McKamey's, but he has done some awesome guitar work on other artists' albums.
Adam

Old January 29th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

guitelecaster. kelly back is one of my favorite guitar players. i love his tone and especially his playing. i see him on a whole lot of southern gospel records. one i can think of right now is the crabb family "the walk" cd. great great playing and singing. kelly to me is a real creative player. its just amazing what he thinks up.
valleyartsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Jason Crabb isn't no slotch either. I liked him better when he was sporting a tele and fender amps. When I seen him live he was playing a strat through a pod direct into the PA. He was mostly concentrating on singing and mostly neglected his normal lead stuff as he had done in earlier times. Of course group situations change and you have to adjust. Even though I was disappointed not seeing him perform much lead work--they put on an awesome concert and did some real heart felt in the spirit ministering. Great down to earth Christian Folks! Platefire
Platefire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2006, 01:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Yep, Jason is a pretty fair picker. I wish he'd pick more live, and play on their CD's. Kelly is really inventive with his playing. And he has great tone, IMO. He relies a lot on compression, but his tone and playing are so tasteful for the music he plays on. He also does a cool track on the Nashville Guitars CD.
Adam

Old January 31st, 2006, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hello Adam

Maybe you can answer a question for me since your familiar with the Crabb Family. The song "I keep Holding on" has always been a favorite of mine and the tele licks
in that song even though simple are so fine. Was that Kelly that did the playing on that? or who? I always just assumed it was Jason, but didn't really know. Anyway I love that tone and almost sure it was done on a telecaster best I can tell. I shoot for that type of tone on my tele except I use delay more than reverb.
I play with a SG Group called the Slaughter Family around Many, La. I got saved out of a 60's-70's rock background and have been and still in the process of adapting my style to clean compressed tube amp type sound. I build tube amps for a hobby and love that tube tone. I would appreciate if you would tip me off on some good SG/country gospel pickers to look for so I can bone up on some of their stuff. Warning---I am a aging 58 year old baby boomer but Love Jesus and strive to be one of his anointed players. Platefire

Old February 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Platefire,
Yep, I believe that is Kelly on that song. Jeff King may have also contributed to that album, tho. It sounds like a Tele to me, too. Kelly uses a '94 Standard Tele. He can get some "Tele-like" sounds out of his Strat, too. I use delay more than reverb, too.
The trick IMO with compression is not to use too much. When I first got a Boss CS-3 a few years ago, I left it on all the time, at a pretty compressed setting. Since then I've learned that I can get a livelier tone by setting it so it's just barely compressing. It smooths out the tone but not so much that it takes the life out of it.
Other pickers: Roger Fortner is one of my favorites. Check out the Kingsmen's Beyond the Clouds, I'll Live Again or You're Not Alone albums.
Kevin Willaims plays acoustic on the Gaither deals, but plays Chet-style electric really well. He has a couple solo projects out.
Randy Miller's CD's have a lot of guitar, although he doesn't play much on them. His stuff is a little more progressive, for the most part.
Also check out J.T. Corenflos on Mike Bowling's CD's, and John Willis and Jeff King on the Crabb's Prayer in Motion.
Hope this helps you out some. I'd love to dicuss this more of you want.
Adam

Old February 1st, 2006, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Adam

Yeah, I enjoy talking this stuff too. I ran a copy of your post so I will have these guys names handy and will be on the lookout for them. Thanks for the info, that does help. It's funny, the guy that works right next to me is Kevin Williams but he don't play, Har!
I have a Route 66 combination Compressor and OD
that I like a lot. I tend to use natural compression of my tube amps mostly. I've got quite a collection of vintage and modern tube amps that range from 5 to 40 watts. When possible I like to pre-inquire about the size of a building/church I will be playing at and size my amp to that situation so I can crank the amp into the tone zone, not distorted but jut prior to that. I have several pedals on my pedal board but my main sound is--- guitar/Line 6 Delay Modeler/tube amp. I'm bad about doing a lot of swells with the guitar volume knob and doing bends to get simulated steel sounds as fills.
I just sold a TC Electronics Sustainer/EQ on e-bay I thought I would never sell but I wanted to get my own tele. I've been using a good friends all original 69 tele for years and got to fearing something would happen to it as the value of those things go up and up. I just recently got a Highway 1 three tone sunburst tele/maple fingerboard that I am just real happy with. Platefire

Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

My main setup is a Japanese Tele through a somewhat modified Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I've got a Fralin Blues Special bridge and Adder neck pickups in the Tele, a la Brad Paisley. My most-used pedal is a Boss DD-2 Delay, but I have a few different pedals like a CS-3 and TR2 that I use every once in a while. I've also got a couple of little Vox Valvetronix amps for smaller churches where the HRD can't be used to it's full potential.
I know what you mean about the 69 Tele. I have a 1958 Martin D-18 that I never take out of the house.
Any mods or plans for mods on that Highway 1?
Adam

Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hi Adam

That kind of blows my mind! Har, My main amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe too. Mine it the first one they made in 1996 and had a Fender 50th aniversery sticker on it. I bought it in 1998 and it must have sat in the shop two years before I got it. It's Un-moded. I just love the way that amp compresses. Before I got my Hwy 1 my main guitar was a 1998 MIJ 50's re-isssue strat. It's got the locking tuners and the Buzz Felton nut mod. The origial pickups it gets close to tele tone but not quite--just takes a tele to do that. I've got the tremolo bottomed out on the body and it stays in tune real well. I havn't moded my Hwy yet. I have been considering brass compensating bridge saddles and locking tuners. It
just plays and sounds outstanding IMHO and long as I feel like that it hard to think about any changes. The tuners are about the only disappointment in the guitar but they work OK.
I've got one of those old SBK Pedal boards that I've been using for years. On that I have a DIY dual bypass switch where I can bypass all my effects and go direct to the amp or select between two effects loops. The first loop goes through a Boss TU-2, Boss HM-2, Route 66,
Dunlop Tremolo, Boss CH-1 and Line 6 Delay. The other loop just goes through an Ibanez CM5. I never use the distortion pedals with the exception of the Route 66 occationally. I also have Boss RV-3 and an Arion DDM-1 that I use seperatly. I have several old vintage amps without reverb and sometimes I use one of those pedals without my pedalboard.
I've been working on a project tonight. I picked up one of those Pignose G40V real cheap here lately and I have taken the original baffle and 10" speaker out and am installing a new baffle and 12" speaker. It's a tight fit but I think it will work. I like the idea of those light compact powerful packages that will cover a lot of bases. Bob (Platefire)
Edit---I finished the 12" Speaker/Baffle Retrofit to the Pignose and here is a link to the photos if you want to look.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ttocsb...sbob/my_photos

Old February 20th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Looks pretty sweet. So how does it sound with that 12 inch speaker? I've considered getting one of those and using it as a head to drive a larger cab. For some reason it looks like it'd sound good. :)
I really like what you did with the cross and fish on that Champ. That's a nice touch.
Adam

Old February 20th, 2006, 04:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

hey guitetelecaster i've been watching alot of the gaither homecoming videos to watch kelly back play some guitar. i noticed he played his strat. do you know what model it's? it kinda looks like he is using emg pickups. sweet tone. thanks for the help.

Old February 21st, 2006, 12:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hi valleyartsman,
The Strat Kelly uses is a 1990 model with a Floyd Rose Tremolo. The neck isn't original. He does use EMG's for sure, and also has a Roland synth pickup mounted on there too. He uses that Strat for most of his recording. Yep, sweet tone. If you watch the New Orleans Homecoming, he also plays a black '94 Standard Tele.
Adam

Old February 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hi Adam

The Pignose sounds great in my livingroom and it seems like the new tubes and 12" speaker has been a vast improvement---however!---I've learned not to judge an amps performance based on my at home livingroom test. Where the rubber meets the road is when you play in that unknown room and will the adjustments I will need to make at that location provide the tone and projection I'm looking for. The Slaughter family that I play with will be playing for a Grand Opening for a Funeral Home Saturday night--(that will be a new one on me, Har!) and then I will have a better feel for how it's doing.
I really hoping it does well because the weight and size for portability is perfect but it will need to sound at least as good as my HRD.
What have you been up to??
Bob

Old February 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

thanks for the help guitetelecaster.

Old February 21st, 2006, 03:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Who is this SG Picker

Hay Adam

I get the Gospel Music Channel on my Sky Angel Sat
System and it pretty much has SGM 24-7. Only thing about it guitar players that travel SGM Groups are kind of few and far in between. So I don't get to see many pickers on that station however there is one that stands out and maybe you could tell me a little more about him.
I think he plays with the new version of the Kingsmen, I think? A tall lankey guy that if I remember correctly plays a right handed guitar upside down like Jimi Hendrix. He also plays a lot of harp plus doing duties as vocalist. Does a great job but they never comment on him. Plate

Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

You're welcome, valleyartsman.
Platefire, that is Randy Miller. He is another one of my favorites. He actually doesn't travel with the Kingsmen anymore, and has a solo ministry. He does reunite with the Kingsmen for a few concerts every once in a while.
His solo stuff is a more progressive style than the traditional style the Kingsmen do, but I like it. Lots of guitar and harp. He has about five CD's out now. His website is http://www.randy-miller.com
Keep me posted on how that Pignose does.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 03:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Yep! That's him. He's a good all around musician. I play harp a little but Randy has got it together on the harp. When I've heard him play electric guitar he has laid down some good quality tone and picking also. So if he does most of his own lead stuff on his CD's it probably real good.
I took the pig out last night and hooked up my pedalboard and Tele to further test it. It's got an issue
with hum when you crank it to get a higher volume clean headroom. I like a quite amp and this is an issue with me.
At the lower settings no problem. I have to turn the bass 100% and mid/treble from 0% to 15% to get my tone on the tele. It's kind of bright to me. If you like a lot of clean to sustained/compressed sound this amp does it pretty good but if you like twin reverb like clean this probably wouldn't be an amp you would like. I tend to play from clean to right on the edge of break up, so it might work for me. The court is still out. I'll let you know how it goes Sat night.
Thanks for the link on Randy. He just seems like an alright kind of guy. Bob

Edit: I'm adding this as it is related to my expermenting with the pig last night. I think I fixed most of the noise humm and also gained some good clean head room at higher volumes. It has three preamp tubes that comes stock with Chines 12AX7's. I had intalled new Russian EH
and Fender tubes in these positions as follows: EH 12AX7 in V1 preamp, EH 12AY7 in V2 Cathode follower and Fender 12AX7 in V3 phase inverter. The 12AX7's have a Amplification factor of 100 which is the highest gain so I installed a 12AY7 V2 position that has a Amplification factor of 40 (60% reduction) that I thought would cut down on gain and add more clean headroom.
It sounded better that way but noisy at higher volumes and a little spungy. Well last night I pulled the 12AY7 in the V2 position and the 12AX7 in V1 position and swapped locations and this took most of the previous noise away and added more clean headroom. This was a good improvement. I'm a little more optimistic that this might be OK now. One reason I'm trying so hard to make this work because it's actually a 59 Bassman circuit known as the Fender 5F6A in the pig but is slightly modified by Dennis Kager formally of Ampeg Amps. The Fender 5F6A circuit was the circuit used to launch Marshall Amps in the 60's. So this is a famous little circuit in the pig known for great guitar tone. Sorry for the long post. I kind of get in to these tube amps, Har! God Bless, Bob