Tuner, Overdrive, Distortion...then what? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Worship Service Players
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Worship Service Players Religious service players discussion forum. Open to all religions. [b]No religious theology discussion, just guitar & playing performance discussion.[/b]

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 27th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Tuner, Overdrive, Distortion...then what?

Hello all, this is my first post...seems like an active and informative forum!

I've been playing for 30 years but the past 7 solely at church - but mostly acoustic. I have now been back on electric for the past year and am in the process of building a new pedalboard. More toys!
I did research posts about pedalboards but am left wondering what else (realisticaly) I should add to color my sound. Delay? Compression? Flanger? Chorus?...and why.

Thanks for any insight!

Scott

Telephonic is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Some insight into the style of music you play and you current amp would help us make recommendations.
Oh, and welcome to the TDPRI.
iowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks!
Nashville tele (I like the 3 pups) - Tu2-TS9-BD2-Zoom G2-Fender Princeton (mic'ed to the house) In ear axioms...
Style of music- Hillsongs, hillsong united, Paul Baloche...I guess it's kind of a "blended" worship service. Set list last week was:
You are good
Everlasting God
I surrender all
Still
Be unto Your name

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 28th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Definitely delay. Delay is the most useful non-dirt effect in worship, hands down.

Looks like you've got a Zoom G2. You could very easily dial in delay with that, or, heck, any of the effects you mentioned and figure out for yourself what to get. I also find wah to be a useful effect, as is a volume pedal before a delay pedal (do some nice swells).
giantslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

You can get some pretty neat effects from Chorus or Flanger... just sayin'.
JPark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Delay for sure.
WideAwake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the feedback!
The G2 is a great pedal and I have some great lead patches from it but I'm not sure if I want to keep it on the board...still trying to decide.
As far as delay goes, there are so many pedals out there but I did notice an "H20" which I think has both delay and chorus... Would this be good or should I stick with single pedal/single effect? Any other brands that seem to be user friendly and solid?

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I am sure you'll get a lot of different opinions, but I personally use a Boss DD-20.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...lay?sku=151305

I really like the display for accuracy, and it does just about every type of delay you'd need.

Old January 29th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I recommend the MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay. Been using one in church service for about a month and, WOW!, it is pretty sounding with the modulator button activated. Great for alot of choruses.
teleftcaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

+1 on the MXR carbon copy. I was considering going all analog and researched for a while. The carbon copy gets rave reviews and isn't too expensive either. If you want tap tempo, however, you will need a digital delay.

Old January 31st, 2009, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Definately delay! I have one of those zoom pedals and almost any other delay you buy will give you more control over your sound. I use a Line 6 DL-4 and I like it but its really pricey IMO.

Old January 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm going with this at church:

MIM Tele --> tuner --> Dano Cool Cat Drive --> Vox AD30V (w/ effects loop) --> Dano Tuna Melt Tremolo --> Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo

I use the Trem during verses quite a bit, lately. The delay is great in a number of different settings. Some guys like chorus, but I think it's overdone, personally.

Old January 31st, 2009, 04:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've been playing in church for about 8 years now. Lead guitarist at my current church for the last 6.

A classic type OverDrive will work best imho. I use an Ibanez TS808 RI with my Tele, and my LP. Now I also have a indyguitarist modded FX55 thats like having a fire-breathing Plexi crammed into a stomp box.

I also have a BBE Boosta Grande boost pedal for leads. Its a "fairly" clean boost (gets a little gritty when you turn the knob past 12 o'clock position).

Then I have a Marshall Regenerator that I have dialed in for Phase, but I want to get an MXR Script Logo Phase 90 (just sounds better to my ears).

Next is Super Chorus that I have on all the time, set to subtle levels, just to add some warmth, and soften the edges, and add a minute amount of chime to the signal.

Last effect in my chain is a BBE Sonic Stomp. I call it my magic pedal, and it is on all the time. They say it repairs the envelope (a lag between the amp and speaker), and lets you dial in a better sounding (to my ears) low end.

Then I have a Planet Waves Chromatic tuner, and last in the chain is my Morely Lil Alligator volume pedal.

I do plan on getting Delay pedal to put after my volume pedal (when you roll of on the volume pedal, it leaves a decaying trail to the sound that is very cool!). I also want to get some sort of slap-back pedal (think Jeremy Camp, "Breath In Me", and Kutless, "Wings" [I think thats the title]).

layout of your effects is important too: I go, Guitar > TS808 OD > FX55 OD > Boosta Grande > Phase > Chorus > Sonic Stomp > Tuner > Volume Pedal > Amp. This configuration for me at least, seems to let all the pedal play together nicely whether its Clean and or going for Over Driven tones.

Hope that helps.

Old January 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

How have you lived for so long without a delay, praisecaster? It's the most useful non-distortion effect out there for P&W. The only effects I always use at some point during a worship set (or usually for most of the set, actually) are overdrive and delay.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantslayer View Post
How have you lived for so long without a delay, praisecaster? It's the most useful non-distortion effect out there for P&W. The only effects I always use at some point during a worship set (or usually for most of the set, actually) are overdrive and delay.
Maybe I'm on a mission, I dunno........

now hear me out: I LOVE U2! I think they are one of the best bands of all time!

BUT IA AM SICK OF HEARING EVERY P&W BAND SOUNDING JUST LIKE U2!!!!!!!

It drives me up the wall!

Four of our five team members went to a 3 day P&W Workshop at CC Costa Mesa. I was almost tempted to destroy all my U2 CD's at the end of day 1......

One of the classes was going over gear (thought I would go, just in case there was something new I could learn). Everything seemed to be geared around getting that "U2 Sound" exclusively. When I asked, can we look at other tonal varieties, The guy heading up the workshop, who is a real nice guy and accomplished guitarist (plays with a current CCM artist), he said there was no need, because that tone is all thats needed, becasue that all anyone wants too hear.

I'm sorry, I might not be the best guitarist out there (believe me, I'm not), but I dont want to sound like someone else, or play like someone else. I wanna sound like me, and play like me. And to be stuck in a box sounding like someone else? I dont think I would stick with playing guitar.....

And the delay I wanna get, is to just add that little trail off as I roll off on a volume sweep. And maybe some slap-back like what Kutless uses on "Give you Wings" (I think thats the title of the song?).

Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraiseCaster View Post
BUT IA AM SICK OF HEARING EVERY P&W BAND SOUNDING JUST LIKE U2!!!!!!!

And the delay I wanna get, is to just add that little trail off as I roll off on a volume sweep. And maybe some slap-back like what Kutless uses on "Give you Wings" (I think thats the title of the song?).
Like I said, a delay is very versatile. You can get a U2 type of sound, sure, but volume swells are very, very nice for softer parts. Creative use of volume swells (with some sort of gain or compression) can even get you some flute-like sounds on the higher frets (neck pickup) and violin-like sounds on the lower notes. If you do quick volume swells and end the notes abruptly, you can get a cool seagull type of sound (whether that's useful depends on what kind of stuff you play - I find good use for it). If you set it up right, it will soften your sound and make it fill up more space, which is great for arpeggios during softer parts. Get some overdrive and some delay, play softly above the twelfth fret, and you're in United Live territory. You can also use a similar combination playing aggressively for some Mutemath type stuff (they are a really cool band if you haven't heard of them).

And if you're thinking that you must have to keep changing your settings all the time to do all that stuff, you don't have to. I use basically the same delay setting to play all the aforementioned stuff. I set the delay time around 500ms, mix so that the first delayed note is about equal to or just a tad softer than the initial note, and set the repeats so that I get a few strong repeats, then it trails off. I do occasionally bump the delay mix and time up if I want a really spacious, over-the-top sound, but most of the time I just leave it as is. In a way, delay can be like wah, in that you can learn to play the effect.

One more note: I am not a U2 fan in any sort of way. I am assuming that the U2 sound you have in your head is from songs like "streets." In that case, getting that sound is not just about the delay settings, but also about what you're playing. If I play right, I can coax a U2-like sound out of my same settings that I do all that other stuff with.

Last edited by giantslayer; February 2nd, 2009 at 11:44 PM.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Easy on the chorus...PLEASE!

I am going to get flamed for this, but I just cannot hold it in. I would recommend, for a couple of years, just using a tuner and one good distortion or OD pedal. I hear so many lead guitarists who have lost the art of nuance. Yes, nuance. They strum everything with no breaks in the measure. I cannot stand U2 because the Edge, loftly idol that he is, seems to have no clue how to lay off the pedals and just play a few notes, guitar-to-amp to add to the song, instead of dominating it with a wall of sound.
I have been playing as a worship leader or a lead guitarist since the '60's. Before Sparrow, before Word, before Hillsong and before this or that latest mid '20's CCM idol. I am disappointed with where worship music has gone to.
Don't get me wrong. I am a blues rocker to the core, but I have hopefully learned when and how to just let the song have some room. You know, space, without this effect and that.
I long for the days again of just leaving the pedals at home (except tuner)and getting out of the way of the song. Adding tasteful, purposeful fills which elevate the worship instead of dominating it. Actually listening to what is going on with the music and not playing at all sometimes to let the song breathe.
And Please! Use chourus and distortion and flange like you would steak sauce on a good steak...Sparingly!

Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
I cannot stand U2 because the Edge, loftly idol that he is, seems to have no clue how to lay off the pedals and just play a few notes to add to the song, not dominate it with a wall of sound.
This statement does not compute. While he does do the wall of sound thing, sure, he's also excellent at hardly playing anything at all, or weaving single notes around the bassline /drums and vocals.

Quote:
I have been playing as a worship leader or a lead guitarist since the '60's. Before Sparrow, before Word, before Hillsong, and this or that lates mid '20's CCM idol.
I mean absolutely no disrespect by this, but your style of music/worship leading probably reflects this statement, and that style isn't for everyone.

As for the 'U2 in worship' thing, yes, it's overdone, or it's done poorly. You need a tight rhythm section and a good sense of timing to pull of dotted 8th stuff, or it just sounds like crap. I'll use it in a few songs that call for it, but just as often, my delay pedal is completely off. And you can use a delay pedal for much more than sounding like the Edge, especially if you are the only guitar player. Moderation in anything is good.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

WideAwake,
I respect your opinion and perhaps I should have tempered my comments about the Edge (how about a real name though..."the Edge?"...that's really kinda creepy!). He just does that "Edge thing" enough to where I get bored with his style. You may not like my style either...and I can accept that.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

"I mean absolutely no disrespect by this, but your style of music/worship leading probably reflects this statement, and that style isn't for everyone."

That is absolutely true. I play 5 services each weekend that I play and I'm sure they would have fired me long ago if they didn't like my style. Perhaps they still should for judging a great musician like that! Forgive me, bro!