Replace a bandmate with the latest and greatest? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Other Discussion Forums > Worship Service Players
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Worship Service Players Religious service players discussion forum. Open to all religions. [b]No religious theology discussion, just guitar & playing performance discussion.[/b]

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 24th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Replace a bandmate with the latest and greatest?

This is a bit of a spin-off, and more of hypothetical that could happen, but nothing that is happening at my church.

The Setting:

So you’re in a small church, not a great pool of talent for your band, when a new person shows up who can, "play guitar just like he was ringing a bell." He has established himself as being committed to the Church; he's just a good guy. No complaints at all. He would like to be involved with the band, and he isn't even pushy about it.

The Problem:

Your band already has two committed guitarists, and the keys player even picks up a guitar on occasion. Now these three guys are competent enough, but not superstars.

The Question:

Is there a place for this guy in the band? Does someone loose his place for the new guy? We'll assume he will be an alternate/sub, but the other guys aren't gone more than a couple times a year.

Old April 24th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The talent pool at our church is incredibly deep. I was amazed when I got there.

A friend of mine played lead until I showed up. He was worn out. He played for two bands that keep booked constantly. When I got there he took a well deserved break. I took his spot (wow) in both groups. After a year he's back and we rotate. When he did come back, I offered to step back and just fill in, figuring he really had seniority. So, I guess that's my feelings... who ever has the gig has it until they don't want it anymore. Then someone else gets a shot. We have so many good players that I'm not sure how I jumped up there.

We are loaded with singers, too. If someone can't get into the weekly rotation (kind of political, hate to say), and gets upset because of it, they usually don't stay around long. But this happens very seldom.

We have three basic praise and worship teams: Sunday morning, Wednesday evening and Youth. Awesome place!
Aaron G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2003, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

seniority is the only way

I agree, you have the gig, you keep it until you don't want it.

Matt
And Marshall stack
Matt Plescher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old April 24th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Sounds like a great place

I'm glad your situation worked out so well. And I expect it probably does usually work out in the real world.

I just imagine for the leader, who only wants what is best for the Church, it could get difficult in that situation. It would be tempting to replace your occasional strummer with someone who can really play. But if you went that route, it would require telling that occasional strummer, who has been committed for sometime, that his services are no longer needed.

Old April 24th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

You would have to sit everyone down and see how they would like to be platooned in the existing spots. For years I was the only electric guitar player at our church, but started to get a little burned out and then came along some other guys that I was all too happy to split time with. Hard to worship while playing all the time, and the time off was good for everyone. Does he play mandolin or anything? Never have all the eggs in one basket, always good to keep the pool as deep as you can. I even started bass playing to keep the creativity interest up, and it has also lead to some other playing that I wouldn't have had. Just some thoughts.
tom grossheider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Vacations , replacement , sick times.... you can always use an alternate. Bass player can't make it..
3 guitars is not too much... acoustic guitar, electric rhythm, lead.
Played in worship band with 3 guitars and it sounded great. Had a Lead player who could not play rhythm, I played rhythm electric and there was an acoustic rhythm.. When the lead player could not make it , I stepped up to the plate (with my tele) and played lead. I also subbed with bass.

Old April 24th, 2003, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

good answers

Quote:
This is a bit of a spin-off, and more of hypothetical that could happen, but nothing that is happening at my church.
Sounds like a consensus is building for finding him something to do, but not asking anyone to step down. That seems like the best answer. Who knows, maybe Mr. Hypothetical can play the mando, a horn, and some percussion stuff.

Anybody else with thoughts, or even an actual experience?

Old April 24th, 2003, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

What about a regular rotation whereas each player would have 3 weeks on and 1 week off each month? I am part of a praise team that has roughly 4 drummers, 3 bass players about 7 guitarists, 3 percussionists, 4 piano/keys players along w/ a viola, 2 flutes and various other occasionally used instrumentalists. Also, a bzillion vocalists. There is a full time director/leader. We fill out our availability schedule 2 mos in advance, we put down what weeks we are available and how many weeks in a month we can play. Seems to work like a charm.
Tim Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2003, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I'm not following

That would work for us with one or two extra members.

Is that what you do? But what do you do with so many, do you have multiple bands?

Four drummers, how often do they play?

Old April 24th, 2003, 11:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Tough Hypothetical situation, but........

I do agree with those ahead of me: Those that are already in that position "hold the cards" as they say. Now if it is meant for Mr. New Guy to join in, God will put it in their (the Card Holders) hearts, to either step down, share, or move to another instrument. I feel this way, because I believe God puts those that he wants up their! After all, we do play for an audience of One.

Now, at my lil church, we got three guitarists currently: Our P & W leader plays acoustic (and lead singer), and my buddy Aaron also plays acoustic, but he plays different chord arrangements, and even takes quite a few solo's with his acoustic (yeah, it sounds great!). Then there's me: pretty much rhythem electric for me and my Tele, but on a few of the "bluesier" tunes, I've been knownt to cut loose with a few leads, but I try not to do it to often, cause I dont wanna go scarin people outta their seats !

Now, even though we got three guitarist's, we could make room for another, say playin twelve string acoustic: that would sound great on a lot of P & W songs we do, and maybe even a true lead guitarist: that way I can just play electric rhythem, ala "Keef style"! that would put a big :D on my face!

But, most importantly, PRAY ABOUT IT! Cause we all know, He's got the best plan out their for us all!

Old April 24th, 2003, 11:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Another good answer

I like your answer Praisecaster. And I realize this is a tough hypothetical. I expect your right though. God probably sees to it that this doesn't happen to often, and when it does, it is probably a tool for teaching those involved.

Cheers

Old April 29th, 2003, 04:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

anyone willing.........

to show up consistently and offer praise through their music should be welcome, asits really the praise that matters. when i first started attending my church about six years ago the paster ,on finding out i played guitar asked me to help out by playing at the next service. the way he put it they were really strapped for players and it was really a big deal for me to help out .igot the song sheets from him and did my best to learn the songs.
when i turned up for church there were at least eight pickers and one key board player all there to play their
best and bring the holy spirit to the service.from a strict
music point having all those people smashing away was a little congested to be polite butit was joyfull and the whole church was on their feet singing along and claping
nobody cared about bum notes or who was missing the changes,iguess my point is to take your gift be it music or what ever and return it to the lord at every opportunity. wellcome everyone and leeave the "band"
politics at home. peace to you :D :D