Greetings from the north - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Welcome Wagon
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Welcome Wagon New to the TDPRI? Start here and post your introduction. Get your feet wet. Tell us about yourself and your guitars and gear.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 19th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Greetings from the north

Hello folks.
I live far in the north in the middle of the Atlantic ocean and for years I have had a dream of making an electric guitar. Of course I have been in love of the Telecaster since I first saw it. There is something absolutely perfect how the oval outlines contrast the straight, geometric lines of the strings and the pickguard and control plate. A perfect fit, exellent balance. Not to mention the tone - it gets under your skin.

Two years ago, after years of classical guitarplaying, I purchased a Godin Freeway Classic, in fact an excellent instrument but now Id like to add a Telecaster to my small collection and of course build it myself entirely. Ive read Melvyn Hiscocks great book on electrical guitar making thorougly and I look at the project as a long journey, where I need to take care in every step, because it is very important to focus on the work, every detail matters; "The devil is in the details". Since I am an artist I think it helps to approach the guitarmaking just like my paintings.

This forum is terrific (Ive been browsing here for a month or so), professional guitarmakers are sharing their work and knowledge. Everybody seem to be very enthusiastic and friendly. No arrogance here, just humble respect.

So. Ive started my work, I bought wood (alder) cut it down, laminated, thickness planed, made a jig of MDF from the famous drawing of Mr. T. Downs. Ill cut the contours soon and hopefully Ill finish the project within a year. The neck, though, is the most complicated part and I fear it a little. If I screw it up I can always buy one.

MrTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

hello Mr. Tortoise...welcome ..sounds like your on the way to Tele heaven...I'll bet you'll be using one of these on your build....

ROADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the TDPRI, MrTortoise! Yet another Telecaster fan - nice to have you among us.

Enjoy!
fenderix is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 20th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Welcome to the forum. Reading about all these builds here makes me want to try it too. Definitely a rich source of info for building, and playing, too.
DustyDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hello up there in Iceland from another 46 year old a bit south of you in Scotland. I'm interested in how you'll be playing your Tele once it's built.

Are you going to use a plectrum (a pick) or play with your fingers? I notice you've mentioned a classical background.

I switched to fingers only on my Tele a few months back.
goz211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Late welcome!
Blustele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum !!