Advice needed: About to purchase an original 1972 telecaster - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974) If you've got a 1973 or earlier Telecaster this forum is for you to discuss your vintage Telecaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 7th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Advice needed: About to purchase an original 1972 telecaster

Hi all.

I am about to buy an original Fender Telecaster manufactured in 1972 in Fullerton. Apparently the tone knobs and the pickups were changed by the owner before the current owner; the current owner still has the original knobs but not pickups, and he does not know which pickups are mounted in his guitar right now. Other than that it got some dents and scratches but as a whole the guitar is fine and sounds decent.

The owner wants me to pay $2,200. Do you think this is a good bargain? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Best,

Ed G.

eddieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I would not call it a bargain. I would say you are paying full price for the guitar. The price is fair if you really like it, but no great buy. At that price, I would expect it in otherwise very good condition with the original case. Changed out pickups is a major dent in the price. Hard shopping would probably get you a 72 tele in good condition all original. I will always pay a premium for something I really like.
SamClemons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Not a bad price. If it's a great feeling player get it.
telex76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 7th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

The deal got cancelled as the owner complained about me asking too many questions with obvious skepticism. (lol) Guess I'm staying with my 52 Reissue.

Thanks everyone!
eddieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieg View Post
The deal got cancelled as the owner complained about me asking too many questions with obvious skepticism. (lol) Guess I'm staying with my 52 Reissue.

Thanks everyone!
If you want an ultra rare 72 blonde with a rosewood fretboard. All original let me know. I know one for sale.
bun malaey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
PJ
Friend of Leo's

Not a bad price if the neck & body are good. Replacing the vintage pickups is quite doable - they're around, but not cheap. You might do better to find a 71-73 with the original pickups. But, you have to take into account that $2,200 is about $1,000-$1,500 lower than a pristine all original '72 would likely be. I think I'd make the decision on the state of the neck and frets. That's an expensive fix to have done - I had to have my '70 neck rebuilt (finish & frets) and it wasn't a minor job.