Is this a vintage neck? Original? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974) If you've got a 1973 or earlier Telecaster this forum is for you to discuss your vintage Telecaster.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 6th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Is this a vintage neck? Original?

This was for sale, but nobody bid on it. I was wondering if there is something wrong with it. Everything being right, how much would it worth?

This is my first post, I hope I'm not in the wrong forum or doing anything wrong. If so, please educate me.
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fender neck  ebay a.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	188263   Click image for larger version

Name:	fender neck ebay b.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	188264   Click image for larger version

Name:	fender neck  ebay c.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	188265  

Name:	fender neck  ebay e.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	188266   Click image for larger version

Name:	fender neck ebay d.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	188267  

acfreire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Idk my date is on the end of the neck and only has one tree that holds the strings and its a 69

Name:	ForumRunner_20130706_193732.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	188269
menace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

No date stamp on the neck, drilled for other tuners, serial number on the headstock means after 1976 usually, truss-rod plug at the headstock - so I would guess it's nothing special but there are members here who have more experience. Check out this link: http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html

Extra string tee may have been added later, I have 2 on my 68.

The "Fender Telecaster" logo appears to have been messed with and the shading is not constant in that area. Strange how that seems to happen a lot with online sales ???

Here's my 68. My opinion - that neck is not prior to 1976 - what year are they claiming ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TeleNeckCrop.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	188270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele & CX7 013.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	188271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele & CX7 015.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	188272  

Bartholomew3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 6th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've been reading other posts in this forum and the serial number is for a 1977-78. So, not vintage, but still an old one. The numbers stamped in the botton bother me a little. What would 1083 mean? October, 1983? I just don't get it.

I've been a member for half an hour and have learned tons of Fender lore!!!

Last edited by acfreire; July 7th, 2013 at 07:04 PM.

Old July 6th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

This forum is the best guitar site out there IMO.

No longer do I give my guitar to a tech, pay $75 and wait 3 weeks for a set-up - got all the help I needed here, plus all kinds of info on amps, pickups and other things.

I edited my post above and put a link in - check that out.
Bartholomew3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Yes... another sleepless night... Lots of info, little time... Lots of work postponed.
Thank you so very much!

Old July 6th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I agree this is where I learened pretty much everything about fender stuff I had no idea about and more sorry I don't have better pics of my neck for ya
menace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Nothing to be sorry about!
Thank you!

Old July 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreire View Post
They just say vintage. I've been reading other posts in this forum and I guess the serial number is for a 1977-78. So, not vintage, but still an old one. The numbers stamped in the botton bother me a little. What would 1083 mean? October, 1983? I just don't get it.

I've been a member for half an hour and have learned tons of Fender lore!!!
Don't worry about the number on the bottom, it's nothing to see with dating. If there's any traces of stamp left under the truss rod screw, it might help. But check the serial number (I can't read it), as you said, it should be an end of 70's neck (not before mid 76 for the serial number on the headstock), every detail seem to confirm this, two tring trees is fine. There's just one aditionnal hole on the back of the headstock I'm not sure to understand, otherwise, it's perfectly the right holes for original tuners.
Major Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

If I was selling a real vintage neck, I'd say what guitar it came off of and what year it was.
Don't know why they didn't unless it's a scam.
telex76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Gruber View Post
There's just one aditionnal hole on the back of the headstock I'm not sure to understand, otherwise, it's perfectly the right holes for original tuners.
There's another just like it near the end of the skunk-stripe on the heel; maybe where it sits on something in the spray-booth, or a cutting jig clamp mark?
StuR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Well, I let that first one pass and bought another, from Scotland. The guy is ripping out a Telecaster, and selling all her parts, so it's genuine.
My greatest fear was my ignorance leading me to buy an aftermarket neck with some apropriate decal.
Not vintage, though, according to this forum criteria. Just an used 1978. It will fit my objective of having a guitar that I don't need to defend from my 2 yo daughters, and that I can forget in the sofa.
I'll show it to you when it's ready.
Best for all!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$T2eC16NHJGYFFkmj8cVfBRgD!M8JQQ~~60_12.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	188380   Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16ZHJHkFFlt-En1kBRgD!Uc63w~~60_12.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	188381   Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16FHJIQE9qUHrjflBRgD!ZM-)g~~60_12.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	188382  

Name:	$T2eC16NHJIkE9qU3jcrJBRgD!iebgQ~~60_12.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	188383   Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16RHJGUFFh9EojdmBRgD!nZI)Q~~60_12.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	188384  

Old July 7th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

By the way, he removed the lacquer on the scale. I would not, but...

Old July 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuR View Post
There's another just like it near the end of the skunk-stripe on the heel; maybe where it sits on something in the spray-booth, or a cutting jig clamp mark?
You seem to be talking about different necks. The first pics of the post are for the one I let pass. These last ones are for the one I bought.

There is, indeed, one unexplained hole, as Major Gruber noticed. But look at the pictures of the genuine 68 neck that Bartholomew3 posted. There is exact the same hole that we can see in the two 78s.

But the one near the end of the skunk-stripe I had not noticed until now. Seens like its a little chipping, maybe? I don't know, ebay photos are tricky. The one true way to see if the neck is good is playing it. Unfortunally, when you leave so far from most of the telecaster in the world, you have to pay dearly for the privilege. That's what I'm doing. Hope it's not frustrating.
Best!

Old July 7th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

They all got those holes, they must be normal. The neck you bought too has an additionnal hole next the D string tuner. Appart this one, all the screw holes are perfectly correct for the right machine head model, so, it's all fine. You just have to find the right model for tuners, it's the model with a Fender "F" on it. It started during 1967 and were sure still there in the 77-78. You can find vintage ones easily, or copies. If you need a picture to be sure to know how they look, just ask. Hope you'll enjoy the neck you bought and the guitar you're going to get.

Old July 7th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Gruber View Post
They all got those holes, they must be normal. The neck you bought too has an additionnal hole next the D string tuner.
Jesus Christ! I really don't know how you people do this!! Take my hat for your keen eyes.

About the tuners, I bought these, that seem to be the proper ones. I'll put them in the washing machine before installing. Along with the neckplate and the bridge. They are too shine and vintage ones too expensive!

I'll stop saying thanx every time I write, for there is always some new piece of knowledge shared and I'm afraid I'll be repeating myself. Hope I'll be able to retribute someday.

Best!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$T2eC16d,!)sE9swm,vZ1BR)S)ibWG!~~60_57.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	188385  

Old July 7th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telex76 View Post
If I was selling a real vintage neck, I'd say what guitar it came off of and what year it was.
Don't know why they didn't unless it's a scam.
The guy relisted the neck in Ebay (albeit the price has raised a hundred bucks). He really says it's a 77/78 that was resprayed. Not sure about the first time, for when I found it it was already ended, so I did not see the original list, so I was asking out of ignorance, not suspicion. He even posted new pics, under the sun, without any flashing over the head decal.
I've bought other stuff from him and he seens to be a very honest guy, so far.

I understand Fender logos tend to flake with time and with the checking of the lacquer. Maybe the original owner just tried to preserve it. Did not work so well, I guess.

Old July 7th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreire View Post
You seem to be talking about different necks. The first pics of the post are for the one I let pass. These last ones are for the one I bought.!
The extra hole is on the neck heel of both sets of pics you posted (your last pic of the first set?) the one you passed on and the one you've gone for.

I made my post before you posted the second set of pics.

It's also plain to see on Bartholomew's pic so I'm guessing it's off the cutting machine. I know Fender bass bodies have the same thing hidden under the scratchplate.
StuR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I figured you were talking about the two of them because of the hole in the skunk-stripe end. I understood you were talking about what seens to be a little break in the dark wood of the stripe. In fact, I just saw it after your post. I won't be sure about what it is until the neck cross the ocean two tropics, the equator and dodge customs office. It'll be sometime.

Old July 8th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

About the tuners, I bought these, that seem to be the proper ones. I'll put them in the washing machine before installing. Along with the neckplate and the bridge. They are too shine and vintage ones too expensive!

Yeah, correct model, the screw should fit exactly in the existing holes (except one )