Best Tele Being Manufactured Today? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Closed Thread

Old January 5th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Best Tele Being Manufactured Today?

Other than Masterbuilt or Custom Shop models, what would you all say is the best Telecaster that is currently being manufactured? I have seen a lot of love for the '52 AVRI's. Would this be it? Or is there some other gem out there that you would claim as the best?

Old January 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

For the money, the Baja but its now discontinued. I am absolutely heartbroken too cuz I had my eye on the last one at my local GC and it was gone today when I went to get it. Over all the different teles I have no idea which one would be considered the best build. A few years ago when I owned a 52RI it was consensus around here that it was the best non custom shop tele to most folks. Don't know if thats changed as I haven't been a regular on this site for a few years now. I now inhabit the strat pages, but it aint cuz I don't intend to once again own a tele.

Old January 5th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

one man...one experience

Since the 80's I was mostly a Strat Player, somewhat modified...then built some partscasters in 02, 03. I have since bought a new am delux Ash Strat...and modified it with a custom neck and will soon change the trem block and saddles.

I just last month bought a new AV52RI primarily to match the "850" Color of my 50th aniversary Pass, and my ASH Strat. I just ordered it from my guy at the local hometown music store who matched GC's current price with no committment to buy if i didn't like it. I was the one who opened the box and played it since it left Fender...(It was still mostly in tune) and it's a keeper....w/o ANY mods or changes...even the narrower neck...except to lower the action a tad. It's the first new guitar I have owned in 25 yrs or so other than a Taylor i had made that i don't want to change....It's the most accoustically responsive electric guitar I own. I hope others have as much satisfaction as I buying sight unseen....

I know we can all build partscasters that will do many different types of things better than a production guitar..especailly with changes...and i love my partscasters very much.....but for "out of the box tone".....for what it does...it does it very well..
"And it came to pass that when the minstrel played, the hand of the LORD came upon him"...2nd Kings 3:15

Last edited by justapasinthru; January 5th, 2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: additions

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old January 5th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My vote, 52AVRI ! - Jim

Old January 5th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Well, I know it is not fashionable or in line with what people consider "real teles" but I really like my AM Deluxe with the body cut. I just do not like that hard edge pressing up under my ribs! The neck is outstanding, the individual saddles make intonation a breeze, and if you don't like the SCN pickups, you can change them out..

As an old fart, I can tell you I am glad I am not driving my 50's pickup around compared to the trucks you drive today.. and I feel improvements can be made on just about anything! I guess progress is not all bad

Old January 5th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodie View Post
Well, I know it is not fashionable or in line with what people consider "real teles" but I really like my AM Deluxe with the body cut. I just do not like that hard edge pressing up under my ribs! The neck is outstanding, the individual saddles make intonation a breeze, and if you don't like the SCN pickups, you can change them out..

As an old fart, I can tell you I am glad I am not driving my 50's pickup around compared to the trucks you drive today.. and I feel improvements can be made on just about anything! I guess progress is not all bad
Hi Bhodie,

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

Old January 5th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Telefied

Id say as far as non Custom Shop models a 52ri 50's-60's Classic MIM Teles and the 50's Classic Esquire are all great guitars. So is the Muddy Waters sig and GE Smith.

The Cs Nocaster is the best one tho. But its a CS model and doesnt count in your survey.

The MIJ/CIJ models are also very nice.

They are making some great Teles now a days.

I like the ones with Leos specs its gotta have a 3 saddle bridge.

Old January 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

American Deluxe Series - without doubt in my mind...

Old January 5th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

They're all good right now. It's down to personal preferences, these days.

A huge improvement over the 70s, I might add, when you'd see the strings veering to the edge of the fretboard, towards the 14th fret or so... on more guitars than I care to remember.

Old January 5th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davis View Post
Id say as far as non Custom Shop models a 52ri 50's-60's Classic MIM Teles and the 50's Classic Esquire are all great guitars. So is the Muddy Waters sig and GE Smith.

The Cs Nocaster is the best one tho. But its a CS model and doesnt count in your survey.

The MIJ/CIJ models are also very nice.

They are making some great Teles now a days.

I like the ones with Leos specs its gotta have a 3 saddle bridge.
+1

Old January 5th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davis View Post
+2

I like all the Classic Series Telecasters (though I have a special place for the 60s Classic). The Muddy Waters sig is also wonderful!

Old January 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bglaze View Post
I have seen a lot of love for the '52 AVRI's.
In a local shop there was a 3 piece body av52ri, is that possible or could it be a fake?

Old January 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

In my opinion, the AVRI series ('52, '62 Custom) are the best non-Custom Shop Fenders produced. They are fairly accurate to vintage specs. Nitro top coat looks nice, and will age nicer than Poly, which won't age at all.

The American Deluxe series are very nice, too, but not too vintage styled. Modern pickups, tummy cut, 6 saddle bridge, 9.5" radius. I prefer a vintage style Fender. The modern ones feel weird to me.

I would steer clear of the American Standards. They are great instruments, but they really have nothing on the higher end MIM stuff. The Am Std. pickups are so-so at best. Better off with a Baja...The HWY 1 stuff is okay, but the pickups are just super-hot, and the jumbo frets aren't my favorite. I do like the nitro finishes, though.

CIJ/MIJ stuff is nice, as far as wood and fit/finish, but the electronics really aren't very good. The cheesy little pots and usually microphonic pickups leave much to be desired. I've had 3 CIJ Fenders with microphonic PUs. Two of them now have upgraded pickups and CTS pots, and the other I just bought today....It's still stock.

Old January 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzua View Post
In a local shop there was a 3 piece body av52ri, is that possible or could it be a fake?

Pretty much all Fender bodies are more than one piece.

Some have more obvious joints than others...

Old January 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumorsofsurF View Post
Pretty much all Fender bodies are more than one piece.

Some have more obvious joints than others...
This one was not matched at all and I don't think it should be in the best tele range. BTW I was conviced that all av52ri were 2 pieces.

Old January 5th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

How about the Hot Rod Tele with the mini humbucker in the neck position?

Old January 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

MIJ 52 RI, body replaced with 1 piece ash by Rob DiStefano. it's the one in my hand in my Avatar

Winnie

Old January 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook View Post
MIJ 52 RI, body replaced with 1 piece ash by Rob DiStefano. it's the one in my hand in my Avatar
Do you have a bigger picture? and did you matched the "vintage natural" color? I'm having a 1 piece body gas attack!

Old January 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1959 View Post
How about the Hot Rod Tele with the mini humbucker in the neck position?
I just got this one from Santa Claus...and it's Da Bomb. I've owned many Teles over the years...Fenders, Fernandes, G&L, Epi and partscasters and ths one is the best I've ever played.

Old January 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

IMHO:

From Fender:

1) The CS Nocaster is the standard by which I compare all other teles
2) Best production model: Hot Rod Tele
3) Best bang for the buck: Take your pick from the Mexican Resissue Line- I personally like the 69 Thinline

It gets a little more complicated if you open it up to non-Fenders. I had a chance to check out Brad Paisley's gear a few weeks ago and those Crook teles (or t-style if you senstive to only Fenders being called teles) look and sound amazing although I have not been able play one.

Closed Thread