G&L Tribute Asat Classic? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Closed Thread

Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

G&L Tribute Asat Classic?

I know the Reverend Buckshot gets alot of respect and love here, but who has tried the G&L tribute asat classic tele? I had an old 1982 G&L S-500, and it was one of my favorite guitars of all time!I heard the tributes are awsome too! Anyone with first hand experience?

Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have one, but am new to playing, so take what I say with a grain of salt...

I purchased mine new from a music store an hour from my house. I picked it up after having spent the morning trying out MIM Fenders. None of them felt as well-built, nor sounded as good to my (still unrefined) ear. However, they were all a little less ($399 vs. the $450 I paid for my G&L).

Ultimately, the perceived quality of the G&L, as well as the sound of the G&L MFD pickups, won me over.

Now, I'm a G&L fan and would very much like to have a Tribute S-500.
Founder (?): Seagull Owners' Club

Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
raf
Tele-Afflicted

I have a black g&l tribute asat classic and love it. Last weekend, I played a natural version of the same guitar & I liked it as well. That being said, the natural felt different than mine...it was lighter, the neck felt different (even though the radius & width were the same), the nut was cut differently & of different material. The pickups were the same, although I am sure the two guitars would have sounded different through the same amp with the same settings.

Nice guitars for the $. I strongly considered buying the natural, but I really want a Fender Lite Ash.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I used to have a Tribute ASAT Special and liked the quality, tone and neck but sold it because it was so heavy. Recently tried a new Tribute ASAT Classic Semi-hollow and liked it a lot better. The Classic's MFD pups are a little more Tele sounding compared to the larger Special MFDs. I also really like the difference in the semi over the solid. There is some talk that the newer Tributes being made in Indonesia aren't as good as the older ones from Korea. I didn't compare them side by side, but didn't notice a lot of difference between the new one made in Indonesia compared to my older Korean one. If you can try one out before you buy, that would be best because if you don't like it, resale takes more of a hit than a Fender. Or just take a chance on a used one one ebay.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
raf
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyBrumson View Post
I used to have a Tribute ASAT Special and liked the quality, tone and neck but sold it because it was so heavy. Recently tried a new Tribute ASAT Classic Semi-hollow and liked it a lot better. The Classic's MFD pups are a little more Tele sounding compared to the larger Special MFDs. I also really like the difference in the semi over the solid. There is some talk that the newer Tributes being made in Indonesia aren't as good as the older ones from Korea. I didn't compare them side by side, but didn't notice a lot of difference between the new one made in Indonesia compared to my older Korean one. If you can try one out before you buy, that would be best because if you don't like it, resale takes more of a hit than a Fender. Or just take a chance on a used one one ebay.
I have never played a Korean one, so I don't have that to compare it to...mine was made in Indonesia & I love it.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Mine's Indonesian, as well. For what it's worth, I've a friend who's a great guitarist and he loves to borrow it...
Founder (?): Seagull Owners' Club

Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The hottest pickups going in the recording arena today are the Z style put out by G & L. I myself find them a little thin.
As far as quality is concerned the Tributes are great guitars.

"There is no such thing as 'part freedom'." - Nelson Mandela
Redd Volkaert is a Master Jedi at one with the Force!!!

Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hello, I have two. Both Korean models. I've got to say, that for the money they can't be beat. The pickups are the same ones that they use in their more expensive USA models. They neck feels great. Set-up is good. I have a USA Tele, and I feel the quality is right up the with that one. Throw on some upgraded tuners and you'll have one smokin' guitar.

DV

Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Have to say, I'm, BIG fans of both the Buckshot and ASAT Tribute...

But If I could only buy one, being I have test drove both, I would HAVE TO buy the Buckshot...But I still would want the ASAT.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've got a Korean made ASAT Classic Premium, Sunburst/Maple. It sure beats the pants off the 2 Korean Lite Ash's I tried out! IMO, they're a step or two above the MIM Fenders in quality,set up, finish, etc. Almost on a par with my American Standard Tele, but my American Ash Tele wins hands down! If you watch for used ones, you can usually get them in the $325-$350 range.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

If I hold out and pick up an american made Asat classic, would that be a vast improvement yet? I hear they rival the very best teles out there. I've seen some on ebay for $600.00 on up. Are they that much better or not? Are the Korean ones really better than the Indonesian ones, If so. in what way? Thanks

Old January 3rd, 2008, 09:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I also had an American G&L Bluesboy. Currently selling it because I like the Tribute better. Not saying the quality of the American isn't better, but when I tried a bunch at a local dealer that has both lines, the Tributes sounded about the same to me and I liked the 9" radius neck on the Tribute better than the 12" on my Bluesboy and it's also pretty heavy at 8.5 lbs. Most of the American models come with 7.5" radius neck and the current ones are a little thicker than the older ones. Again, If you can play one first, that would help you decide if you like the G&L or American version better.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Since picking up my ASAT Classic new in the early '90s, I always try these out wherever they can be found. When the first tributes came out, they didn't seem even in the ballpark of the originals. But the last time I checked, picked up a few at Guitar Man in NYC (cool shop BTW). These tribute ASAT Classics seemed very close to the American made in build and in feel. Wonderful neck shapes. Also tried a Bluesboy, the model I've wanted for a long time. Man, great guitar. Different HB from the American made model, but otherwise right in the ballpark. Think he was asking 650 for it. That is an amazing deal given the quality.

Old June 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Well, I am only a novice / beginner so what I have to say is based on conversations with semi-pro musicians and many people far more experienced than me (as well as trying them out).

I tried a USA GnL ASAT classic and a Tribute ASAT classic (Indonesia) out in the same shop, through the same amp / settings etc. There is no real difference in sound or tone. Not to me or my friends who i took with me for advice. The sustain was also matched (as both do use the same pickups - from what i understand). To be honest the quality on the Tribute was utterly superb. The finish was excellent, great feel to the neck etc. Obviously there is a difference in the sense that the USA ones are made from better wood (again so I am told).

However, i hear you can get premimum finishes on some Tributes as well (i.e., Swamp ash). So you can narrow that gap to an absolute cat's whisker.

I was so impressed, after some thinking and testing of different models I went back and ordered a Tribute ASAT classic in 3-tone sunburst with a maple neck. Can't wait for it to arrive.

From what I can tell, the ASAT tributes are every bit the best after-market tele around. The fact that here in the UK you can get one new for aroud 500 is also a bonus.

Old June 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You can get ridiculously good deals on used USA ASATs, so I would go that way. I started with a Tribute, which was nice, but very heavy. The American ones sound better, even if the pickups are the same. I am pretty sure the American ones have superior pots and perhaps the wiring is superior too. For 600-700 bucks, I would get the USA one every time. Actually, I would get a USA Fender Telecaster instead, but that was not your question.

Old June 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
raf
Tele-Afflicted

I bought the ash one too!

I bought the ash one a while back & put a bakelite blackguard on....I absolutely love it - better than the black one I have...own 2, very different, like 'em both.

Old June 5th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny guitar View Post
The American ones sound better, even if the pickups are the same.
I guess it's all subjective - but when I tested them back to back I had four friends turn their back on me while i played the same small Blues phrase and a basic blues chord progression on both - no one could tell the difference (they have all played in amatuer bands for years - I myself am only a novice ). Even the shop owner took part in my little exp. No one could tell the difference in terms of tone / sound.

I think there will ultimately be a difference in quality with the USA ones being better (as one would expect) - but that difference may be so small that its really down to what you find important. We may be taking about the difference between A Ferrari and a Lamborghini.

Quote:
I am pretty sure the American ones have superior pots and perhaps the wiring is superior too.
I have checked out both these issues - and the pickups are the same in both and from what I hear from the custom shop guys I have spoken to (here in the UK) the wiring is top class on the Tribute.

Old June 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a Tribute ASAT Special Semi Hollow. In my opinion it's a first rate guitar, period. I've been playing since the 60's and it's up there with any electric I've ever owned. The neck is very fast. Frets needed a little work, but the shop owner did this himself when he set up the guitar.

The MFD soapbar pups are just outstanding. Very quiet and high output, especially for single coils.These pickups, along with the semi hollow body allow an excellent jazz tone. Just about the only sound I haven't been able to achieve is that dark Les Paul blues crunch. I do play blues on mine, but the tone is more of that singing, cutting tone you associate with Fender.

All in all, a real bargain of an axe.

Old June 5th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

In Japan used MIA G&Ls sell for a lot more than they do in the States...saw two locally at over $1000.oo again... used. So I got an MIJ Tribute and really like it a lot even with the tiny pots. it has a 3 piece body but the third piece is about as wide as the neck plate on the back and dead centered, looks like somebody really took the time to line the pieces up very well...which shouldn`t surprise as it`s made in Japan. We don`t see G&Ls that are not MIJ in this city...no idea what the others are like.

Old June 5th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

If you save G&L as your favorites on Ebay...You'll be very surprised what(USA G&L) pops cheaply on BINs' and some are mint condition.But they go fast...if they have good feedback and you got the cash...buy one.

Closed Thread