Telecaster router plans - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 14th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Telecaster router plans

Hi, I am new to this forum.
To some of you I may be just a kid but I want to built myself an exact copy of a Fender Telecaster - I have wood and I have a router machine but I don't have a routing template to use.
I couldn't find any free pickup and neck pocket routing plans on the net to make my Telecaster routing template out of.
The cheapest plans I found on a web site - they asked $15 for the plans but I live in Europe and they were asking $18 for shipping alone. Problem is that I couldn't make my parents give me $33 to spend on a sheet of paper.
So I started searching and I found many free guitar plans on the net but there were no Tele plans. :(

Do you know any free plans for the routing of the Tele pickup cavities and the neck pocket?

I am also trying to get myself a Squier Telecaster from somewhere which I intend to use to make my template for the build but there are two problems:
I can't find a Squier Tele in my town and I read on this forum that Squiers are not even close to original Fenders - they have larger control cavities, different routing for the pickups, different size pickguards that don't fit an original Tele...
I really want my guitar to be an exact copy of a Fender, I want even the non-visible parts and everything under the pickuard to be the same as on a vintage Tele, so if what I read here is right, I can't use that Squier as a guide. :(
Another problem for me would be buying all the necessary hardware and electronics parts after I have built the guitar but that's a different story.
At first I will concentrate on the wood work.
So, if you know of any sites offering free Tele plans, please share.
Thanks and sorry for my bad English - I am learining it in school.

Flying Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
wad
TDPRI Member

I made my router template from a pdf on Fender's site. I went to the fender.com support site and downloaded the pdf for the hardware layout tele I wanted, then I opened that pdf in Adobe Illustrator(I think they have a 30 day demo version for download) then I opened the pdf in Illustrator and scaled it up to the correct size, the width is 324 mm and the hieght will automatically size. Then I printed that out on multiple peices of paper and glued them to a piece of 1/4 inch hard board then cut it out with my bandsaw and sanded to the lines to make a template. Credit to a poster on another board named Natsteel that showed me this tip.
wad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I did that already but the PDFs on Fender's site don't show the routing cavities.
I need a template for them, not for the outline of the body.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 14th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

This would be a good place to start. It has all the info you need to make a tele as well as everything else you need to know when building from scratch.

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-Electric-Guitar/dp/0953104907/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-7245810-6662419?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173883293&sr=1-2
jaydawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydawg View Post
This would be a good place to start. It has all the info you need to make a tele as well as everything else you need to know when building from scratch.

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-Electric-Guitar/dp/0953104907/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-7245810-6662419?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173883293&sr=1-2
Are you sure that it has a Telecaster plan inside?
I will try to make my parents buy me this book. Shipping costs would be an issue again, though.

Old March 14th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
wad
TDPRI Member

Check out this thread. Jwells has posted a Fender blue print for a tele. You can then read the measurements off of it and draw the cavities and cut them out of your template. Its the third photobucket link he posted. Thanks again jwells!

ooops: here is the lin to the thread!

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-tech...questions.html

Old March 14th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have not used these but I have considered buying them so I could make my own body... just not sure how many I would make to justify the cost of the template. Looks like a good quality template.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUITAR-TEMPLATES...QQcmdZViewItem
Mike Simpson is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike Simpson View Post
I have not used these but I have considered buying them so I could make my own body... just not sure how many I would make to justify the cost of the template. Looks like a good quality template.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUITAR-TEMPLATES...QQcmdZViewItem
I own a set of these. They are made by our very own Ron Kirn a TDPRI member. They are top notch and one of the best there is out there.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

i want to do the same thing.

cool dude,

im 14 too.

whens ur b- day

Rock on

Old March 14th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Cool, i will try to read what is on that blueprint and use it.
Most of the stuff is not read able but the outlines are OK.
Should the neck pocked be sloped or is it completely flat?
I read that the depth of the neck pocket is 5/8 inches but is the neck pickup cavity with same depth?

Hey Rock on, what's up mate?
My BD is in December.

Old March 14th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Sweet dude,

is it cold in Europe in December?

My b- day is in a month and a half.

Rock on

am also deathly afraid of squirrels.

Old March 14th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Please!!!... Be certain to have a qualified wood worker assist you, At 14, the probability of a major accident happening is pretty high... I'm 60 and been doing this since before your parents were born and have had some very close calls . . .and I'm careful....there's nothing worse than trying to play a guitar with all your fingers bandaged. . . well yes there is, but it involves not having anything TO bandage.

Be Careful. The typical router spins at 25,000 rpm. . . the best reflexes will happen in about ˝ second… that means that if the router takes off and collides with your fingers, the blade will slice ‘em about a hundred times before your senses tell you to remove them from whatever is chopping on them.

I have a 15 year old Grandson I have been teaching, I’m not letting him go near a project like that yet.

Ron Kirn

take a peek at my new offering....
http://ronkirn.com/blackie.htm
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Excellent point Ron. We don't want Flying Squirrel to have to change his name to Stubs.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Welcome aboard Squirrell, great to have you here.
There are many here with so much valuable experience in building Telecasters...good folks who are gracious with advice. Best wishes with your project. It's wonderful to play an axe that you have built.

Old March 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

we have a woodshop in our school that has all the nessarsary equipment, check your school to see.

Old March 15th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Squirrel View Post
Cool, i will try to read what is on that blueprint and use it.
Most of the stuff is not read able but the outlines are OK.
Should the neck pocked be sloped or is it completely flat?
I read that the depth of the neck pocket is 5/8 inches but is the neck pickup cavity with same depth?

Hey Rock on, what's up mate?
My BD is in December.

Pocket is flat.
On that blueprint, they say neck pickup pocket .687"
and bridge pickup pocket .850"
and control pocket 1.50"

I use a digital caliper when I check the depth, so I'm ok with the decimals... but this can be useful http://www.seoconsultants.com/charts/inches-decimal/

Good luck.

Gilles

Old March 15th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks I will be careful. I know how to use a router and maybe I will build a router table. The teacher in my school has a small part of his finger missing. This sucks.

I have seen photos of Telecasters with their neck pocket and neck pickup cavity connected by the truss rod fuller and the depth looked the same but this may be just the photos.

Old March 15th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hey Stubbs is a fine Welsh name! I agree with the rest of the guys BE CAREFUL Flying Squirrrel.
Stubby
stubby1263 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad View Post
I made my router template from a pdf on Fender's site. I went to the fender.com support site and downloaded the pdf for the hardware layout tele I wanted, then I opened that pdf in Adobe Illustrator(I think they have a 30 day demo version for download) then I opened the pdf in Illustrator and scaled it up to the correct size, the width is 324 mm and the hieght will automatically size. Then I printed that out on multiple peices of paper and glued them to a piece of 1/4 inch hard board then cut it out with my bandsaw and sanded to the lines to make a template. Credit to a poster on another board named Natsteel that showed me this tip.

how did you get the neck pocket accurately doing it this way? I was thinking of doing the same thing

Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
wad
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock on View Post
how did you get the neck pocket accurately doing it this way? I was thinking of doing the same thing

I actually used jwells393 pictorial of how to make a neck pocket. so I made a seperate 1/4 inch hardboard template for my neck pocket.

The pdf from the fender site does not have an acurate neck as the fingerboard covers up the neck pocket edge. So you will need to use the measurements on the blue print that jwells393 posted in the other thread to hand draw it on and cut the template to that, then the neck pocket heel will be the correct dimensions.