Strat sound vs. Tele sound - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Closed Thread

Old October 30th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Strat sound vs. Tele sound

Just wondering, is there really that big of a difference in the sound of a Strat compared to a Tele?

Old October 30th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

When you play them both with a clean sound yes, there is a very big difference between a Strat and a Tele. The more you raise the gain though, the less apparent that difference becomes.

www.telenator.com

Old October 30th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

i never heard a Strat bridge pickup that could come close to a Tele. JMHO! YMMV!

YouTube channel • Originals

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 30th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

i gotta JV sig. strat..you can get some good twang tone outta it, but it doesn't compare to the sound of a tele.

Old October 31st, 2006, 01:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telenator
When you play them both with a clean sound yes, there is a very big difference between a Strat and a Tele. The more you raise the gain though, the less apparent that difference becomes.
Thatīs an excellent description, Telenator! I couldnīt have said it better myself!

Old October 31st, 2006, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman1
i never heard a Strat bridge pickup that could come close to a Tele. JMHO! YMMV!
+1!

Old October 31st, 2006, 02:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

What Telenator said.

But, with a moderate amount of gain, there is still a lot of difference in sound.

With a massive amount of gain, it becomes more difficult to distinguish any two guitars from each other.

/ Tony

Old October 31st, 2006, 05:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

put it thisway. ive seen footage of SRV playing with the Thunderbirds as guest. he was playing a tele that night, had the thing in the middle position and it sounded just like his Strat tone. That said, i have never heard someone make a Strat sound like a Tele.

Old October 31st, 2006, 06:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've played a Strat for years, and I liked the single-coil sound much better than the humbuckers I was playing before (just got tired of so much mid). But when I jammed with a buddy and all there was to play was a '52-reissue, I heard the difference. I read a Clapton interview where he said the sound of a Strat is "more compressed" than a Tele, and I could hear it. There are more highs and lows on a Tele. A Strat sounds to me to have less highs and lows. For some people that can be a good thing. For me I was amazed at the difference and have never been able to go back to a Strat. I like them ergonomically, but they don't have the sound my ears crave. I also didn't want to get into trying to get a Tele thing happening on a Strat - routing for a Tele pickup in the bridge and so on. I like just two pickups.

So, if you ask me - huge difference.

I was very blessed to find my Tele in a store the day after the jam. And I wasn't really looking. A miracle, just like my other guitars. I am, after all,

backwards lefty

Old October 31st, 2006, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Seems to me what distinguishes a Tele-sound is the twang that you get from the bridge pickup mounted directly in that huge metal bridge plate. And what distinguishes a Strat sound is that quack you get from the middle pickup combined in parallel with either of the other two pickups. Neither stock guitar can quite re-create the aforementioned conditions of the other.

Having said that they can both do the "just-neck" sound, but I like my Tele's just-neck sound better than my Strat's just-neck sound. The Tele's is more boxey and jazzy sounding, and I'm guessing maybe that is due to the taller profile of the Tele neck pickup.

Old October 31st, 2006, 07:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

To me it's kinda like comparing apples & oranges. Both Fruits, but totally different.

A Strat isn't going to have the bright twang of a Tele.

A standard Tele (without adding a middle pup) will never have the "quack" a Strat has when combing two pickups.

Old October 31st, 2006, 07:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtletwang
Just wondering, is there really that big of a difference in the sound of a Strat compared to a Tele?
Yes.

Ronnie Earl plays a strat with a clear strat tone:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-Y7OFXheo
I'd call the sound round and soft.

Tele tone is more spiky (treble + bass, not the mids like strat) and harder. Don't know what I should link now that would give "pure tele" tone like Ronnie's tone is a "pure" strat tone...

Old October 31st, 2006, 12:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

The solid body and unique bridge construction (including that wonderful tele bridge pickup) has alot to do with the tele sound.
The hollow chamber behind the pickups of a strat with the springs in it contributes towards the strat sound. A hardtail (no vibrato) strat has more of a tele bite, I think. But you still have the 3 fairly identical strat pickups. The 2 pickups in a tele aren't as much like each other.
So a tele tends to be described as 'twangy', 'snarling' and 'biting' on the bridge pickup and 'warm' and 'smooth' on the neck. 'Jangly' in the middle setting.
Strats tend to be described as sounding 'woody', 'hollow', 'quacking', 'smokey'...and with regards the bridge pickup, 'like a nail being hammerred into your skull just behind your ear'.
(Conventional strat bridge pickups aren't very popular around here since many of us are used to beefier telecaster bridge pickups.)

Old October 31st, 2006, 01:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
RIP
Tele-Afflicted

http://www.jbonamassa.com/andy/andy5.php

I NEVER heard a Stratocaster evoque that tone.
In Switzerland/Germany we often see Stratocasters used by older men in Combos, that play Saturday night dance music for seniors. It is a very bland sounding guitar, but the advantage of the Strat is, you never attract attention or intrude someone, because you hardly can hear them and they look and sound all thesame: conformed.

Old October 31st, 2006, 01:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
RIP
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by weelie
Yes.

Ronnie Earl plays a strat with a clear strat tone:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-Y7OFXheo
I'd call the sound round and soft.

Tele tone is more spiky (treble + bass, not the mids like strat) and harder. Don't know what I should link now that would give "pure tele" tone like Ronnie's tone is a "pure" strat tone...
That Ronnie Earl sounds like nothing to me. But guitar matches the player. Sorry.

Old October 31st, 2006, 02:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

...It all depends on hoo iss pickin and/or how it iss set up.

...I noe that many times I haff been fooled both ways.

...I wood be hard pressed to say fer sure this waz knott a TELECASTER iffin I couldn't cee the video specially the first few licks.

...If yew ain't never ceen this jes close yer eyes and lissin till after the openin licks are dunn.

... I jes luv this video and the sound of the music (click)

The STILLWATER SAVAGE BAND(click)
Terry Downs shows us how(click)
Terry Downs wanna be HEE! HEE!(click)

Please visit my page

Old October 31st, 2006, 02:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
RIP
Tele-Afflicted

Dear Fuzzy, Do you mean the neck-pickup of the Telecaster ? I always think, that the bridge-pu of the Telecaster is unique and somewhat like "the heart" of the Telecaster-sound.

First I suppose you are fallen in love with Susanna Hoffs. Under these circumstances you will hear every guitar near that woman sound like a Telecaster
We talked about that wonderful lead guitarist earlier.

Old October 31st, 2006, 02:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Tele=ornery sailor lookin' for a fight
Strat=

....I'm drawin' a blank here for the Strat.

Old October 31st, 2006, 02:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
I suppose you are fallen in love with Susanna Hof
...NOPE ! knott at all. I lissined tew a bunch of her udder stuff and kant stan her or the udder music but I am in luv with that yew toob video. It's bookmarked and I watch it erry day jes like I dew Terry Downs's video provided tew me by Zane.

...I haff noe idea how he made that Strat sound li kat ner which P/U he used but I dew luv the sound because I haff made that sound before with my TELECASTER on the lead P/U.

The STILLWATER SAVAGE BAND(click)
Terry Downs shows us how(click)
Terry Downs wanna be HEE! HEE!(click)

Please visit my page

Old October 31st, 2006, 02:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yes!

If you close your eyes that guitar sound could be a Telecaster!

But I don't want to close my eyes, because she is so hot!

/ Tony

Closed Thread