Joe Bonamassa - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 28th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Joe Bonamassa

Hi all,

I've just checked out this guy's music, and can he play! I searched for his name on here, but I found nothing. Has anyone here seen or heard of him before? He lists Danny Gatton as one of his influences and one of the people he's played with.

Of course, it was the image of such a striking Tele that drew me... 8) Edit...OK, having been suspicious of the colouring, especially on his face,as suspected, a little playing in Photoshop has been applied. I can't post it here, but the original colour on the body is a honey/tobacco sunburst style.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/pop-up.a...0&seq=1&type=P

A magnificent looking finish on that Thinline. The colour may not be to everyone's taste, but that's another matter. I'm especially intrigued about the swirling design on it too. No doubt this is a custom design, but I'd love to see more of the body and neck.

Having seen lots more pics on his website, I see he uses other guitars too, including other Teles. Have a listen, here...
http://www.jbonamassa.com/IfHeartach...romFtWayne.mp3

http://www.jbonamassa.com/joe_bonamassa_multimedia.htm

Telesphere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

<li>Tew bad he wazent usin a good TELECASTER (like in yer pick-chure) on iss.
<li>He mite haff sounded good (Twangy) onna low strings instead of like ---

A bee trapped inna window sill

0le FUZZY
0le FUZZY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Joe is an amazing player...between him, Brad Paisley and Warren Haynes, those are today's new guitar superstars - total style, tone and CHOPS !

Those teles are from a small builder, they have metal tops laminated to a thin like body. I believe one's copper and one aluminum...Joe supposedly loves them. He's using them a lot on the current tour. And his amps...Marshall Jubilees, Two Rock Signature, Fuch ODS and Budda 4x12 cabs...the boy plays LOUD !

Great player, I too recently discovered his work ...I'm ordering up some cds this week.

JK
JohnK24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 28th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Joe Bonamassa

Joe is a family friend. As a kid growing up he could make jaws drop with his playing. By the time he was 12 he could pretty much blow any local guitar player right out of the box.

His father is a vintage guitar dealer and Joe has an incredible collection of vintage guitars and amps. I photographed many of them for a calendar that was done for 2006-07 by Cherry Hill Publishing.

Joe has a new album coming out in May and from the rough mix I heard at his father's house a few weeks ago it's going to be killer.

Old March 28th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

When I saw Danny Gatton at the old Tramps in NYC, he was sitting and talking with a young man, who I later found out was Joe. I introduced myself to Danny and asked "is this your son?"--he said "I wish!" Then he got up to play later in the show. Danny sat on the side of the stage with his arms folded and a big s--t eatin' grin on his face while Joe played.
Ramblin Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Just recentley discovered Joe in the last six months. I'm always the last to know. What a player. Can't wait for the new CD. Here's a great video of him tearin' up a tele.

http://www.jbonamassa.com/andy/andy5.php
zeeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat
Tele-Meister

Joe is one hell of a player.

There is a thread somewhere here of him playing a nice 60's Esquire.

Cat

Old March 29th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Smokin' Joe

I had the great pleasure to see Joe open for B. B. King and Kenny Wayne Shepherd at the Maryhill Winery in southern Washington right on the Columbia River October 6, 2005. Joe had a short set, but he blew me away. Kenny Wayne was great as well. Of course, neither of them made me forget B. B., who is the Man, but B. B. blows everyone away.

I got his album, "So Its Like That" and it is the epitome of modern blues. Joe will be with us for a long time and will be putting out great music for a long time. He's a purty good singer as well. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders. That album is a real bargin with and hour+ DVD of a show he did, and it rocks from stem to stern. I agree with Buddy Guy, who told Joe, "You'd be my favorite Blues guitarist if you'd just divide by two." Joe has nothing to prove to the shredders, so it wouldn't hurt to slow down a bit and be more expressive. But anything he wants to do is O.K. with me, because I know he means well.

Bonneville Bruce
Bonneville Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've been a fan of Joe's for the last nine years.Bought Bloodlines in the US on vacation.Great player.
He still plays really small venues here in the UK.Saw him last month at a 80 seater capacity venue!Great to see him in such close proximity.He deserves better though.
He's more of a live player,some of his recorded releases have just missed the mark material and production wise and hence he's slipped under alot of folks radars.I hope his new release will be a bit more organic.He deserves greater things.
All round nice guy,always stays behind to meet and greet.Check out his latest dvd release for the real Joe.
He does play Tele's quite often(well Tele shaped) and I saw him a few years back with an original looking '60 Esquire.
Anyone that digs Joe's stuff would be wise to check out the 'best' younger blues guitarist from the UK in the last 40 years...Matt Schofield.His latest release is a killer(Siftin thru the Ashes).Plays vintage Fenders(late 60's Tele and an early 60's Strat) through old Blackface amps.His style is refreshing and not too generic.Great tracks.He's heading to the US shortly...

http://www.mattschofield.com

Old March 29th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I just discovered him a week ago, and have "A new Day Yesterday LIVE" and "Blues Deluxe" coming. I saw the video on his site of him playing "Burnin' Hell" and I was completely blown away. NOT ONE local store that carries CDs had ANY of his. I was shocked. Wal-Mart, Target, Circuit City, Best Buy, fye, nobody.

I think he did an interview for Guitar Player awhile back? I'd love to read that. Actually, I fully expect to get the 2 CDs, love them so much that I order up the entire collection.

I really like Johnny Lang, but his last album just didn't do it for me. He left the blues and went more Prince/Stevie Wonder. Weird. And I like Prince & Stevie Wonder. Kenny Wayne Shepard is a hell of a player, but he sounds too much like SRV for me, plus I don't like his singing voice or new rock material. His older stuff (when the band had a dedicated singer) wasn't bad, but KWS just sounds so much like SRV that it wasn't unique or interesting to me.

When I saw J. Bonamassa doing "Burnin' Hell", my jaw dropped and I thought THIS is what I'm going to be listening to ALOT of in the near future.

Old March 29th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Re: Joe Bonamassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpacilio
Joe is a family friend. As a kid growing up he could make jaws drop with his playing. By the time he was 12 he could pretty much blow any local guitar player right out of the box.

His father is a vintage guitar dealer and Joe has an incredible collection of vintage guitars and amps. I photographed many of them for a calendar that was done for 2006-07 by Cherry Hill Publishing.

Joe has a new album coming out in May and from the rough mix I heard at his father's house a few weeks ago it's going to be killer.
Did Joe's dad open a new store? My wife's dad lives in Utica and was sad to see that the store in Clinton, NY had closed up some time back. I had several conversations with him about his son and about his dealing guitars for celebs when Joe was touring with Jethro Tull a few summers ago.

Dick Thaxter
DickT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Bank Place Guitars

The store went from Clinton to Hamilton.

About a year ago Lenny decided that since the overwhelming majority of his business was being done via the Internet it was kind of pointless to have a retail location.

So Bank Place Guitars is still fully operational, but there's no bricks and mortar location.

Len brought a 56 Strat in dead mint condition over to my house a while ago for me to play. If only I were rich instead of an academic with two college age daughters and a third in law school.

Someday...

Old March 29th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If you search...

using just "Bonamassa" as a keyword, you'll find
he's been discussed a fair amount.
http://www.royhubbs.com
Poppatwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

He's a freakin monster...

Not only guitar wise but vocally too. That guy has a set of pipes. I've been clued in for a little while and I love his stuff. There was an article in guitar one either last year or two years ago up and coming young musicians. Needless to say, Mr. Bonamassa was on the list. Cool article. Glad you found a new guy, I think he's incredible.

Music makes one feel so romantic - at least it always gets on one's nerves - which is the same thing nowadays.
-Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
MBradford6288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

in 2 weeks he will play in my "neighbourhood"....

and i got a ticket!!! it will be a rather small club and i am pretty happy. i rally would be p....d if i missed the next "guitargod".
its kinda strange to see that the next big thing is playing in such a small venue. there you can see how little real good music is appreciated by the majotity of people theese days. and the stones take 160 euros for a ticket in the meantime.
strange world for guitarplayers.....

Old March 29th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Sold out in Philly

He's playing here Friday evening at a new venue I like a lot (World Cafe Live) and it's sold out. I'm going to go down and see if any tix release close to showtime. Thanks for turning me on to this y'all. He's a joy to listen to.

Old March 29th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Re: Sold out in Philly

Oops! I made the mistake of searching via the Google search window above. But with the tdpri button checked, I would have thought that anything on here would come up. Apparently not.

Having seen your replies, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one impressed. It'll be interesting to see how he develops his career.
Telesphere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Joe is the Real-Deal!

If you really wanna here the best groovin blues/rock, check out "Had to cry today", especially the title track!

Blues Deluxe is also an awesome CD! Blues purists oughta really love that one!

Old March 29th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If you like him....

...you'd love Bill Perry!! 8)
TJNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Joe...

A little BB, a little Johnny Winter, a little Gatton...what's not to like. Heck, he even has the '70s Warren Zevon crazed look!