decal (lacquer) application question - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 9th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

decal (lacquer) application question

Hi
I just received an awesome decal. For applying, i must do the following.

1-the headstock of the giutar must be claen and finished in either lacquer or polyrethane.
2-the decal will not stick to an unfinished surface.
3-unfinished wood is porous and it will not allow the decal to adhere properly.
4-carefully remove the decal from the protective tissue. Trim the excess area surrounding the decal. Trim as close to the actual letters as you can be very carefull.
5-place the decal in a bowl of warm water and let it set for about 30 to 60 secons. Gently separate the decal from the backing paper and very carefully apply it to a clean finished headstock.
6-place the decal on
7-when the decal is on position carefully smooth out any air bubbles under the surface .be very carefull not to rip the decal
8-the decal will dry withing about 30 mins,best to allow to dry for 12 hours.
9-apply a very light coat of lacquer (gloss to match your headstock)
10-wait 15 mins and them apply another coat,repeat this process 2 or 3 thimes.
11-leave for 24 hours .then coat the headstock in lacquer to your desired depth and finish.
12-the gloss coating you can buy in any paintshop or hobbymarket.

I always thought it should be applied to an unfinished surface. Apparently not. Now I want my headstock to match the color of a 50s RI (mexican classic) headstock (orange maple kinda color). I need to sand the current headstock to get rid of the old decal.
After that, for step 1: which kind of lacquer do i have to use?
For step 9 & 10, again: which lacquer?
11, same question.
12, ditto. :)

TY,
Robrecht

Old January 9th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

by the way..

..i'm planning to sand off only the front side of the headstock (where the decal will come) and the (back of the) neck will keep its original finish. This won't have bad consequences eh?

Old January 9th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Just a thought, but rather than sand off the decal and start over, if all you want to do is darken up the headstock, why don't you just either do a few coats of Kiwi Brown or tinted amber lacquer on the headstock??
GuitarJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 9th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

NO, NO, NO, NO ...........Don't follow all of those instructions. Some are OK but the following should be followed.

1. Do not cut the decal as close to the letters as possible... Instead cut in a smooth curve that doesn't get closer than 1/8 inch.
2. Dampen the headstock with water.
3. Do not separate the decal from the backing before you apply it. 60 seconds may be to long in the water. You don't want the decal to separate from the backing. Instead lay the decal with backing on the headstock where you want it and gently slide the backing out from under the decal.

I'll leave matching the headstock color to someone else....... I don't know what's available in Belgium.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Use sharp cutting instrument

Just another thought, when you cut out the shape of the decal on the paper backing, be sure that your blade/scissors are super sharp. On a partscaster I did a while back, I cut out the decal shape with what I thought were sharp scissors, but when the decal was applied, the edges looked rather ragged, so obviously the scissors In used were not as sharp as I thought. Probably a Exacto knife with brand new blade would have been better. Just s small detail, but it was impt. to me afterward.

BTW, the pro who applied mine prepped the headstock with some kind of pre-decal fluid, like from a model car kit, what would that be??
GuitarJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I usually mist on a little fresh lacquer maybe 10 minutes before I apply the decal.

Disclaimer: When I say something.... always ask yourself ..... "What the hell does he know?"
I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person.
I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea.
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

i want to get rid of the old headstock logo (it underneath lacquer, so i need to sand it off).
then the headstock would be unfinished. then i must bring on a coat of lacquer, the decal, some other coats, and then gloss??
which part of the lacquer colors the most?