MIJ 62 reissue help - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 18th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

MIJ 62 reissue help

Hey I am new to the forum and recently purchased a Japanese fender telecaster 62 reissue. It's a lovely guitar but I don't really know an awful lot about fenders and even less about MIJ fenders I think it's a newer mij tele as it has a serial number stamped on the neck underneath made in Japan and from what I could make out from reading on the fender website it's a 2010 made guitar can anyone help with specs for these? Also the colour? (It's a red colour but more of a metallic) any help would be great also how do I post a picture of it?? Sorry for the silly question

Sbray83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

hi there....
the colour you described should be CAR - Candy Apple Red (see picture)

body: alder
neck: maple
frets: rosewood

not sure what exacly are the stock pickups... a bit generic sounding... (i did change mine). Some models came with texas specials installed... see if the poles on the bridge pickup are staggered or not...

many people say that the electronics are inferior to the american counterpart ... so far i had no problems with mine....

fit & finish, construction, fretwork... it's all top notch.

It's a good tele... and a pretty one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub_19-3165189078_l.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	189819  

Old July 18th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It's double bound, right? Technically, it's not a reissue, but the model number should be TL62. It might be stamped in the neck pocket and/or the heel of the neck. There are variations with US pickups, for example. If you ever remove the neck, make note of any stamps such as a suffix after the TL62. It can possibly reveal more info.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI
PineBomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 19th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hi guys and thanks for replying. I will have a look in the neck pocket today and see what I can find. I think it's Definately candy apple red so thanks for letting me know muronero. Pine bomb yes she is double bound? How do these compare to the earlier mij and cij and also the Americans?? She really is a beautiful guitar and plays better than any tele I have picked up in the past!! I am very very impressed with the overal finish of the guitar and couldn't be happier with my new purchase :) also do you know if these are finished with nitro I have to poly finished guitars and this just seems different?? Thanks again for you help guys :)

Old July 19th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Your guitar is poly finished. Ive got 2 MIJ 62's from the 80's both of which are as good as it's gonna get IMO, i did have to change all electronics and pickups though, the originals were not reliable and it's a quick upgrade. Your guitar should be fine as it's newer.
To post a pic, get an account with Photobucket, upload your pic there from your PC, copy the IMG code, go to insert image where you type your message on TDPRI, delete the http provided in the box and then paste your img code.

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Cheers chris hopefully get a few pics up this afternoon :) does anyone know what sort of price is a good price for these?? Poly finish?? Hmmm must be quite a thin poly finish as the finish really does seem different to my other poly finished guitar. I still can't get over what a lovely guitar she is!! I am so impressed by it just wish I could find some more info on the newer made in Japan TL62s there's a lot on the web about the older ones but not the newer ones lol I had a look at the wiring this morning and think I am gonna be upgrading the pots and switch new capacitor and some vintage wire also I am gonna replace the pickups soon they are good but I know the ones I'm getting are a cut above everything lol might go for a 4 position switch so I can have both pickups in parallel or series just for a bit more variation :)

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Ebay retailer's sell these for around 650 new but used one's tend to sell for around 450.

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Well I paid 550 for mine and it is in new condition can't find a single blemish on it and I came cased (not a fender case)

Old July 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Old July 19th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Old July 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Very nice! Good score!