Which 60's Tele - AVRI 64, AVRI 62 or Nash T-63 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 17th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Which 60's Tele - AVRI 64, AVRI 62 or Nash T-63

I am looking at a few 60's style Teles. An AVRI 64, the discontinued AVRI 62 and a Nash T-63. They are all new or used in like new condition and would all be about $1,500 +/- depending on what I can negotiate. I have played the '64 Tele before. It is a fine guitar and I like it but don't love it quite as much as I want to (or think I should). Whenever, I have compared it directly to the '58 I have preferred that one but not by a great margin and I think it probably has to do with the maple versus rosewood fretboard. However, I am in love with the Lake Placid Blue finish that is being discontinued and I know I will love taking it out from its case everyday even if it isn't the perfect guitar for me.

I am also looking at the '62 and Nash which are in other vintage colors I love. I have never seen a Nash in person before. Like many, I do not care for much of their relic work. However, this particular guitar is a light relic with no dings visible in the pics, only slight aging of the hardware. Also, since it is a rosewood board there is no wear on the fretboard which I think Nash tends to overdo based on pics I have seen. It has more modern specs, which is what I am used to, in terms of radius and fret size.

I am not sure whether I have ever played a '62 before. Recently at a GC, there was a vintage-style white tele with black binding which I though looked like a '62 except I thought they had been discontinued and the salesperson couldn't tell me what model this particular guitar was. However, the neck was pretty thin so I thought it might be a '62 model based on what I had read about those guitars' necks. I like that guitar fine except the neck was a bit thin for my tastes. I do love the looks of the discontinued '62s with their double-binding and those custom colors.

I won't be able to try any of these guitars before purchase as these are all online transactions. The seller of the '64 has a good return policy so it is pretty low risk. Not sure on the Nash but there might be a restocking fee for returns. The '62 is a "buy it it's yours" purchase.

Colgin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Nash are kind of hit and miss.. Guess even more so when used.. I had a T-57 3-T burst with Lollars SC in the bridge and a Humbucker in the neck.. The guitar sounded & played great.. Relicing was a bit over the top especially on the fretboard 12-17th frets.. Would love to find another like it with a little less wear..

Check the Nash website to read up on the different options available, they vary more so than Fenders.. The white double bound you described sounds like the Telebration '62..

$1500 is a lot to spend on something you don't absolutely love.. I'd spend some more time looking for the guitar you gotta have rather than settle on something that is kinda ok.
xtrajerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

[QUOTE=xtrajerry;5163837]
The white double bound you described sounds like the Telebration '62..

QUOTE]

Yes. I was doing some research this afternoon and that is it. Is that the same neck profile as all of the other '62 Reissues.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 17th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

With that kind of money to spend i would be visiting as many guitar stores as possible to try the 64's, they are a very nice guitar. Find a Nash dealer and play before you pay.

Old July 17th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I was going to scold you for focusing on looks without a single mention of how they sound... then I saw your last paragraph ;)

In that case, I'd do what Chris H. says and play examples of each. You may or may not like the difference in sounds between the '62 and '64.

I'm using '62 RI pups in a handmade tele and am very happy with them.
65 Champ Amp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely agree with comments about Nash guitars being hit and miss. Definitely try it before you buy it. I tried a blackguard one time and it was just heavenly, and an identical one a year later in the same store and it was nothing special.

WaylonFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The 62 may be a 60th anniversary 62 which came in white with black binding.
I have one and its a superb guitar. Beautifully made, looks stunning and sounds great.
christhebrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I tried a couple of Nash guitars, recently. Fantastic playability and sound- but I prefer to do my own relicing, the traditional way.
Flaneur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

For what it's worth, I love my 62avri even more than my Nocaster and the Nocaster is one hell of a guitar. I wasn't planning on buying the '62 when I went into a guitar store in San Francisco to kill some time but the guitar was so resonant it felt like it was alive in my hands and I just couldn't help myself and bought it on a lay away since I didn't have all the money. The pickups sound phenomenal, I love the neck and the double binding puts it over the top. Just writing about it is making me want to play it, which I will without further ado
kedj11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

FWIW, I have a Fender Pure Vintage 64' Tele and I LOVE it!
TheNewGuy75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgin View Post
have played the '64 Tele before. It is a fine guitar and I like it but don't love it quite as much as I want to (or think I should). Whenever, I have compared it directly to the '58 I have preferred that one but not by a great margin and I think it probably has to do with the maple versus rosewood fretboard. However, I am in love with the Lake Placid Blue
Then get the '58 (it's almost 60's...)! Try falling in love with that white; it's great up close and you should get deals that are almost in your ballpark. A US dealer dropped $300 off retail on it after I was 15 min in the shop (I did not go for it; had a good deal on a used LPB64 at home...)
schotter611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'd seriously consider a MiM Classic 60's model - my Wilko Johnson is brilliant and I doubt the USA ones can be any better...

Squier Affinity Modified Video Demo
wrxmania is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy75 View Post
FWIW, I have a Fender Pure Vintage 64' Tele and I LOVE it!
That's the one I'd go for if I were to buy another Tele.

I am very happy with my MIM 60's Classic though - that's the closest I've played to a real mid 60's Tele (I've had two 1965 Teles).
Telemarkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxmania View Post
I'd seriously consider a MiM Classic 60's model - my Wilko Johnson is brilliant and I doubt the USA ones can be any better...
I know what you mean but that neck on the 64 is for me just perfect and the pickups are really good so much so that i have to get one, the finish is better on the MIM for sure.

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The '64 neck feels really great if you're not into the baseball bat styles but also find the modern ones a tad too meager. Not too dissimilar to the full, round 'just right' shape of my Acoustic Larivee. Reading my '58 post above, I have to remind myself that the neck was the reason I got the LPB'64 (over the white '58. And I did favor the '58 color...) So with the sellers return policy, I'd give it a shot.
schotter611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'd go with a '64 RI.

I've had 3 of them and paired it down to one. I kept the biggest neck and stuck it on my favorite of the 3 bodies. It's my ultimate Tele visually and the neck is really chunky for a 60s C. It's bigger than the previous '52 RI 1998-2011(from the 5th fret up).

Old July 27th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The price on the 64 AVRI in LPB was dropped and was too good an opportunity to pass up. So, I placed the order today and hope to receive the guitar by Wednesday or Thursday of this week. Will post pics upon receipt. I hope I get on with the vintage specs because I do love the look of this guitar. If not, I do have 30-day no hassle return period.

Old July 27th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Congrats, and welcome to the club!
deadbeat son is offline   Reply With Quote