Tried a Welch Twang Slinger - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 14th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Tried a Welch Twang Slinger

So one of my late night internet searches led me to Welch guitars. I don't even recall how I got there but I did. So I was interested right off the bat. So I found Welch guitars on facebook and started asking questions. Not much was given up as far as where these are made except that the company is based out of North Carolina. I was told that they are not producing the Gibson style guitars anymore. So anyhow, after come cyber stalking and searching I found that a store around here actually has them in stock. A little farther than I really wanted to drive but I made the trip anyhow. The store had probably 5 or 6 teles, an SG and two les pauls. I tried the tele first. It was black, double bound, red shell pickguard and maple neck with vintage tint. I really wanted rosewood but was told they were no longer going to produce them. When I first picked it up I was surprised how heavy it was. Super heavy, like same as my Gibson Les Paul Standard. Big thick chunky neck. All Wilkinson hardware and pickups. Wilkinson vintage style bridge. After 10 seconds with this guitar plugged in I was in love. Really nice playing guitar and sounded fantastic to my ears. I have owned 4 squier classic vibe guitars and this was better in my opinion. I loved it. I played for about 45 minutes and the shop really gave me the VIP treatment. Unfortunately I was not able to take her home. Probably because in the last 3 weeks I have purchased a new James Burton Sig Tele, Flashback 4 delay, wampler ego comp, exotic ep boost and new pedal train board so my wife would have absolutely flipped. But, she and the kids are going to Florida next week....................might sneak back. Anyhow, in my opinion it was an awesome guitar. I picked up the les paul that had p90's and it was great as well. Here are the prices that the store had on these.

Lowest level top bound welch tele $179. (kinda like an affinity)
Twang Slinger line $419. (This is the one I liked)

The les pauls were $529. With set necks.

After doing some more searches it seems there are some Nashville guys that really like these guitars as well. So I just gave all of you something to check out today. They are on facebook and have a website. You can even youtube welch guitars. I am no way affiliated with them. I just like affordable stuff and different stuff than what everyone else has. Again, I am not affiliated and I have absolutely no idea where they are made. No serial number either. The neck plate said something like "Welch Guitars, Ashboro, NC, USA"

leatherbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

First post, hello all.

I am a Twang Slinger owner. The thing plays and sounds great! I couldn't resist the color either....a cross between sea foam and Carolina blue. There is nothing about this guitar I don't like, but I should qualify that by saying I am NOT a guitar snob. While I appreciate the bug names and recognize how and why they got their names, I also know that I once owned a Squier P-bass that I will regret selling for the rest of my life as I have YET to find a bass that sounded as good for less than 10 times what I paid for it.
All that aside, good feel, GREAT necks, Wilkinson pickups. The owner of the company still understands the term "customer service." The guy busts his hump to make customers happy.
I heard they have a double-cut in TV yellow with P-90s coming out. I'm so happy with my Twang Slinger I'm going to order one of those as soon as they are available.
Just my two cents.
mao_hear_this is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I love my TS too. I have the same model and color. You are right about the necks, comfy and full. My neck is rosewood, wish I had a maple neck though.
Heath Welch is a super cool guy to deal with.

Last edited by keeffan; August 23rd, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
keeffan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting