Joe satriani telecaster - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 27th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Joe satriani telecaster

A few years back I remember seeing Satriani playing a telecaster style guitar with an Ibanez neck and an odd pickup combination. It had a regular tele bridge and pickup but a strat pickup had been installed between the bridge saddles and the regular tele bridge pickup! I only saw him play it once and I really wonder what that combination would bring sonically! The only pic I can find on the net is this one which isn't of the guitar I was thinking of as it had a hb in the neck but you can just about see the strat pickup in the bridge!

Anyone else remember it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2859169657.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	182824  

rotheryrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

There is a guitar in the pic? All I can look at is the hair! He has hair!

Old May 27th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Is it a St Blues? It just kinda reminds me of one.
Cus2310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 27th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hi - this is intriguing....
Anyway I came up with this 5th or 6th times removed quote, posted by member 'R1FSR' in 2007 (!) on the Vai.com forum - said to be Joe talking about the 'Love in Space' album...

"For guitars, generally, the melodies and solos are done on my Ibanez guitars – either the JS1000 or the seven-string prototype. I also have what I call my Ibanez Telecaster, which is my favorite “Tele,” actually. For a while, Ibanez, Gary Brawer, and myself were trying to come up with the ultimate new-age Tele-style guitar. You can hear it on “Lifestyle.” It’s basically a piece of swamp ash carved by Dan Ransom. Gary did all the setup, and the pickups are DiMarzios. I [added] the neck from an Ibanez JS6, and this guitar just came alive.
I’ve also got original ’58, ’56, and ’63 Esquires and Teles, and they all have their qualities. A Telecaster was my main guitar during my formative years, so I’ve always had this affinity for the shape, sound, and the way it functions..."

The provenance is obviously flimsy so take in with a pinch of salt ....
tintag27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintag27 View Post
Hi - this is intriguing....
Anyway I came up with this 5th or 6th times removed quote, posted by member 'R1FSR' in 2007 (!) on the Vai.com forum - said to be Joe talking about the 'Love in Space' album...

"For guitars, generally, the melodies and solos are done on my Ibanez guitars – either the JS1000 or the seven-string prototype. I also have what I call my Ibanez Telecaster, which is my favorite “Tele,” actually. For a while, Ibanez, Gary Brawer, and myself were trying to come up with the ultimate new-age Tele-style guitar. You can hear it on “Lifestyle.” It’s basically a piece of swamp ash carved by Dan Ransom. Gary did all the setup, and the pickups are DiMarzios. I [added] the neck from an Ibanez JS6, and this guitar just came alive.
I’ve also got original ’58, ’56, and ’63 Esquires and Teles, and they all have their qualities. A Telecaster was my main guitar during my formative years, so I’ve always had this affinity for the shape, sound, and the way it functions..."

The provenance is obviously flimsy so take in with a pinch of salt ....

awesome thanks for that, i was just glad a found even a blurry pic just to prove i hadnt imagined it, would have been a great signature guitar i f Ibanez had produced it!
rotheryrules is offline   Reply With Quote