My 70s Telecaster - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 24th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

My 70s Telecaster

So here is my Telecaster. It is currently in Italy, but I will bring it to Sweden in August.

I do not know much about this particular model, since the previous owner had it in his attic for years and he did not know anything about it apart that it was "old" (that is exactly what he said "I have a guitar, but it is old so I do not know if you will like it" )

When I got it I took it to a guitar shop in Bologna to clean it and the guy immediately offered me double the money I bought it for to have it for himself. He said he does not see these guitars that often. Anyway, when I got it I had no idea of what it was since I had just started taking guitar lessons (I was 16). The first time I realized I had something very nice in my hands was when I met my guitar teacher - a very talented guy in his 40s. He could not believe his eyes... and gave me his guitar to practice because he wanted to play mine so bad :)

So here it is. Thanks to the serial number I found out that the guitar is from the 77 or 78 (I could not get more precise information). The sound is just amazing and touches your heart. I have not been playing guitar for the last 12 years, but I still remember its sound. And some weeks ago I decided I want to restart playing.

I still have many questions about this guitar and its story. I also have no idea about the case I got with it. There is written "for Fender" on it, so I do not know who made this one. I believe I cannot consider it an original Fender case, right?

Does any of you know more about this? Any help is highly appreciated. I would like to find out as much as possible because I am so fascinated by this instrument.

ps: do not mind about the ugly super long strings in the pictures. Those are new ones that my brother had just put up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5190008.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	182164   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5190007.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	182165   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5190003.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	182166  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5230010.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	182167  

MissKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Oh, that's lovely. Reminds me of the '79 Strat I used to have. I wish one of my neighbours would find something like that in the loft and sell it to me for a knockdown price!
Rhythm Thief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

That's really lovely MissKD, not sure about the case but the Tele is in lovely condition! Play it to death! Nice and original.
Lefty Addams is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 24th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Very nice.
telex76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

No, not an original case but a nice guitar indeed. I know you said your brother put those strings on - I hope you know how to string it up so that the ends go into the tuners and don't stick out at all?

Enjoy.

Old May 24th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Nice Tele; definitely a late 70s model with that transparent red finish that was pretty common on Strats of that era. Fender used those "S8xxxxx" serial numbers on Teles for quite a while - from as early as the end of 1977 all the way through 1982. The only way to get an accurate date for these is to take it apart and check the date stamps on the neck and body and look for codes on the pickups or pots.

It's just the standard Telecaster model from that era - they really didn't change a whole lot from 1974 until this style was discontinued at the end of 1982 (or possibly early 1983) - just different colors and the change to the black pickguard from the white pickguard. Sorry I don't have specs on the pickups or anything. CBS/Fender just didn't mess with the standard Tele like they did with the Stratocaster; they were content to create additional Tele models instead (the Tele Custom, Tele Deluxe, and Tele Thinline).

Regarding the case - it's not what Fender used here in the USA - that would be either a black rectangular tolex case with the red/orange interior and an amp-style "Fender" logo on the lid or it could even be a rectangular black plastic case (Fender made the plastic cases available around 1979/1980 and phased out the tolex cases over the next couple of years). That being said that case could have been something that the Fender distributor in the country it was originally shipped to in Europe had made for them locally so they didn't have to pay shipping on the USA cases.
John C is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I really like those cases - I've got two of them plus a similar one for a bass which I bought in the 90's. Not sure of the brand but they were in a few of the guitar shops on London.

Much smaller than the square cases and a Tele or Strat (or even my Jerry Jones Longhorn 6 string bass) fit in there perfectly. Although they aren't flight cases as such, I've flown all over the place with them.

Nice guitar but, as another poster noticed, you should try putting the strings down the center of the tuning shaft when it's time for a string change.
MrTwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

That's nice. I'd love some more close ups of the fretboard and neck. Do you know the size/shape of the neck and what the bridge pickup is?

Also, welcome neighbour in the east!
UglyCasanova is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Nice, appears to be lightly played.
73Fender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

You have an awesome guitar there!

Old May 24th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Fender View Post
Nice, appears to be lightly played.
Yep, very nice! I wouldn't call it rare but I don't remember seeing a bunch of Teles with that finish, that is if my monitor is accurate. From here it looks like a dark/burnt reddish orange? Whatever it is I like it.

Old May 24th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Very cool.

http://reverbnation.com/downwithugly
tele-bastard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 03:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The guitar is in Italy so it was my brother taking care of the strings. I have not talked to him but I guess he just put them up very fast. He has been playing bass for 10 years, so I guess he should know how to put the strings :) However, he also kind of sucks at taking pictures, so I hope I will be able to post some more detailed one (fretboard, pickup, neck) in August when I take this baby to Sweden :)
MissKD is offline   Reply With Quote