Buck Owens Telecaster (Chinese Copy) - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 13th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Buck Owens Telecaster (Chinese Copy)

Just spotted these, think its the company that are more famous for the Dave Grohl 335 copy.

Has anyone bought one here? Had a look on search and couldn't find any. I've always loved the Buck Owens Tele, even being a Scotsman, so something like this if it was even going to be half-decent would be a coup.

At this price, it would even be worth hanging on the wall!

Here's the site http://www.buckowenstelecaster.com

Edit: a good sign, I see they accept PayPal, so if all else fails.....

kylef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Why would you support a ripoff?

PennyCentury is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The fact Fender don't make them anymore and they sell used for 20x the price of this and it's a guitar I would never gig or sell on as the real thing?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 13th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

It doesn't look too bad, I might go ahead and order one.......JH in Va.

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

As much as both Don Riches guitar and Buck Owens guitar are awesome. I think I would just buy a regular guitar and make it my own. Maybe someday I'll be good enough and someone will look at my guitar and say it's awesome and that will inspire them to get good enough and have there own style so someone will look at them too and say there awesome and look at there guitar and so on and so on and so on ect...

I have just never got the Idea of someone going out and buy and Eric Clapton stratocaster or something like that. It was just an Americain made fender stratocaster till eric clapton played it??? No 2 guitars are the same so your not ever going to be able to capture the tone. Why wouldn't you just buy and american made fender stratocaster and learn to play the thing right?
BartS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Don't you guys run antivirus software on your computers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nope.png
Views:	122
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	171337  
JayBeezy42 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyCentury View Post
Why would you support a ripoff?
what is ripoff about it? not a legit seller? How about the Waylon lookalikes?
Teletubbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
JDC
Tele-Holic

No red flags here,
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeezy42 View Post
sorry jay, that avast stuff and its commercial cohorts have very little credibility these days

Old March 14th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartS View Post
As much as both Don Riches guitar and Buck Owens guitar are awesome. I think I would just buy a regular guitar and make it my own. Maybe someday I'll be good enough and someone will look at my guitar and say it's awesome and that will inspire them to get good enough and have there own style so someone will look at them too and say there awesome and look at there guitar and so on and so on and so on ect...

I have just never got the Idea of someone going out and buy and Eric Clapton stratocaster or something like that. It was just an Americain made fender stratocaster till eric clapton played it??? No 2 guitars are the same so your not ever going to be able to capture the tone. Why wouldn't you just buy and american made fender stratocaster and learn to play the thing right?
I think I might have to agree with BartS on this one.

Scott
AcmeGuitarWorks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Didnt the buck owens have a maple neck?
Achysklic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Seems o me that the pictures are of a Legit Fender Buck Owen's Tele. Bait and switch is a typical Chinese marketing strategy unfortunately. I once bought an Ibanez Artcore Jazzbox off of a Chinese seller on Ebay. The price was really low and the guitar that showed up at my house was the same one in the pictures. So when they then had an auction for a Fender Jaguar style guitar, which they illustrated w/ pictures of what appeared to be a Fender Jag in Lake Placid Blue (including a cut off shot of the headstock where you could see the beginning of the Fender Logo, JUST LIKE A COUPLE OF SHOTS OF THE PUTATIVE BUCK OWENS TELE) for less than $400 I put down a bid and "won" the auction. WHat arrived at my house 3 weeks later was an Lake Placid Blue generic "surf" guitar with Strat style pickups and vibrato, WHICH wasn't even close to a Jaguar except in generic terms. When I wrote the seller to complain and threaten leaving them bad feedback they offered a partial refund instead of a return. My guess is whoever buys this Buck Owens Tele should be more prepared for Jay Turser style quality than Fender (or even Squier for that matter).
kedj11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

"Pictures are for comparison purposes only"

What does that mean? That the clear Fender headstock logo won't appear on the guitar I receive since, well, it's trademarked and clearly illegal to sell a guitar like that?
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack FFR1846 View Post
"Pictures are for comparison purposes only"

What does that mean? That the clear Fender headstock logo won't appear on the guitar I receive since, well, it's trademarked and clearly illegal to sell a guitar like that?
Fender and Gibson logos on the front and made in USA on the back of chinese copys should be defaced preferably with a branding iron. Im all for the chinese copies if done honestly, I own a Squier and an Xavier and they are both asian bargains but neither pretends to be what its not.

Old March 14th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Here's a website that it takes you to to complete purchase

http://www.rareelectricguitars.com/B...-Tele_301.html

I would have thought this would be the exact guitar, including decal?

Old March 14th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartS View Post

hes not talking about a clapton strat he wants a buck owens tele. You cant just get a red white and blue sparkle tele off he rack.
a better analogy would be the clapton fool SG, not his dime a dozen black or burst strats. or Pages dragon tele not his LPs, or Waylons tele, etc;

and to answer why would he want one if you dont? that should be obvious. (because he wants one and hes not you)
you are doing a lot of assuming,. assuming he should like what you like, assuming he cant play, and assuming he wants Buck Owens 'tone'. All i see his a guy who wants a buck owens tele that doesnt cost $3000.

that website is sketchy. I would wait to see if you can find someone who ordered one and got it and what did he get exactly. Unless you wanna be the guinea pig.
what i would do is buy a squier cv tele and have someone finish it like buck owens. Isnt there a guy here that does that? Buckocaster or someone. Then you know you are getting a really good tele, its legit, and US Fender spec. Get a used one for $200-250 what they go for here and pay whatever the cost, gotta be under $500. So thats what $700?

throw some Fralin Stock pickups in it which nail the Bakersfield tone. Done.

confucius said: man who want pretty nurse, must be patient.
surfoverb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletubbi View Post
sorry jay, that avast stuff and its commercial cohorts have very little credibility these days
You're welcome to use your preferred AV software and I'll use mine, but the site shows as suspicious or blacklisted by multiple sources.

http://zulu.zscaler.com/submission/s...637-1363236337

Even better, the rareelectricguitars site it apparently links to has an identified malicious script:

http://zulu.zscaler.com/submission/s...3e5-1363303966
JayBeezy42 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I emailed the guy with the Buck Owens Teles. He admitted he is in Japan, and his guitars are built there. He said they are exact replicas. I could not get him to tell me what the name is on the headstock.

It's not a big chunk of change. I think you'd get a crapshoot of quality, but it'd be a double-bound, red, white and blue sparkle Tele-bodied guitar. If I had the few extra bucks(no pun intended), I'd do it.
bendecaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I bought one. The picture on the site kylef linked is it.
It was $265 including shipping. How the hell do they do it? China to NY in 5 days...at no charge??
The real Buck has deep metalflake. I held one last week.
The cheapy is done in Silver, has "confetti" sparkle over it, then the see-through Red and Blue goes on. The stripes are not centered on the front. I have seen a few others and they were all the same.
It sparkles and stuff, but nowhere near the depth of the Fender.
Nut and Tuners suck, front pickup is mud, bridge is very brittle (not bad, just not "subtle"),m actually does sound like a '68 Tele, which was not known for a "quality" tone at the time. Together they sound OK.
Anyone who knows Fenders will not be fooled...the guy at the bar drinking a Beer might think it's cool.
I have a show in May that is USA themed, so it will make a good prop, kinda like the "Made in China" American Flags you buy at Parades.

I had more fun tracking it from China ("You're Guitar is at the Kennedy"...which I took for Kennedy Airport) than I have had playing it.
They offered to send me a "Magic Gift" if I put up a YT video with a review of it. I don't think they would want to hear the truth. ;-)

Old March 15th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Peghead has "Fender" and "Buck Owens" in perfect fonts.