String choice - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 28th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hey guys & gals, I fortunately got the opportunity of a lifetime.... I've been contacted by a fella Gene Breeden from Nashville to come down and record an album next month. Gene has worked with everyone from Garth Brooks, George jones, haggard and Waylon to name a few. He grew up with buck owens and had a hand in the Bakersfield sound and found don rich for buck.

Anyways ive been using regular slinkys for years.I got some new strings for my Tele's and I'm taking my new AVRI pure vintage 52 tele down with me that I got while in Nashville back in October. I got dadario 10-46 and DR 10-46 and 10-52 (I believe).

I put the DD's on tonight on the AVRI and my 50's RW Tele's. I don't know if I'm just use to the EB's or what. They sound okay and all but what do you guys think the best are for recording? I'm gunna be doing some lead work and thought I'd see what was out there. Maybe I should stick to what I've been use to for years?

Also, if I put the dr 10-52's on do I need to readjust the action or do you think I can get by without it?

Any thoughts or those that record, what do you use?

Also, on both gits the high E string where hard to keep in tune. I could literally watch the tuner go from E go down past D# for a while. The EB's never have done that for me. I slap'em on, tune'em up and away I go.

I always get long winded in here lol.

TELEDUDE84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I say stick with what you know works for you and your guitar :)

Old February 28th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Agree...stick with what works! This probably isn't a good time to introduce possible headaches

www.abovethestate.com
jaycoyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 28th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On most of the sessions I've done (Atlantic, Polydor, Bell, Quality, RCA) it was the sound engineer, producer and gear that made my sound in the studio.

Plus my hands and my head of course but the actual guitar details were pretty much secondary.
Bartholomew3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Slinkys have never let me down.
shovelrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Wasn't Gene in Tacoma, Wa. back in the '60's? I seem to remember that name when I lived there from '74-'87. That's where Buck Owens got his start as well.
Ramblin Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 12:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

My choice--

Old March 1st, 2013, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I'll reiterate: stick with what works. You were asked to play based on your prior work with the EB 10s, am I right? Don't mess with good juju.
PineBomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Ray View Post
Wasn't Gene in Tacoma, Wa. back in the '60's? I seem to remember that name when I lived there from '74-'87. That's where Buck Owens got his start as well.
Yes I believe he told me that. I think they were in ca. too

Thanks for the advice, i leave in a few weeks to go down so a few days beforehand ill change back to them. I always get the itch to try other strings but then when I do I miss the old ones lol.
TELEDUDE84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm sure there have been thousand of great records made using Ernie Balls. Definitely don't change something before an important event, to something you're not used to; you want to be relaxed and confident.
I've gone off D'Addarios recently, I think they are stiffer than other brands of the same gauge.
thinling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinling View Post
I'm sure there have been thousand of great records made using Ernie Balls. Definitely don't change something before an important event, to something you're not used to; you want to be relaxed and confident.
I've gone off D'Addarios recently, I think they are stiffer than other brands of the same gauge.
They are stiffer, probably due to a larger core than EB's. The upside is they don't go dead as fast as EB's, in my experience.
Ramblin Ray is offline   Reply With Quote