4 way wiring with revers wound neck ? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

4 way wiring with revers wound neck ?

Hi, Ive been struggling with my new 4 way wiring for a while now, turns out I have a reverse wound neck pickup lol, Its been wired up as shown in the SD website. So my question is, what do I swap around to compensate the reverse wiring? Cheers dave

djangoRobinson2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The two neck pickup coil leads on the switch.

You did add a dedicated ground wire for the cover right ?

Check the bottom of this page:

http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_4wayinfo.html
sjtalon is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

nope and thank you !

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 6th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Try that first, it may not be you have to re-wire it. You HAVE to separate that cover jumper from the coil for 4 way's to work right.

Old February 6th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

can you explain, what is the cover jumper?. I have a ground from the neck cover to the body, but it just kills every thing when attached . thanks

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djangoRobinson2 View Post
I have a ground from the neck cover to the body, but it just kills every thing when attached
You need to isolate the pickup cover from the coil. Snip, snip.
LarsOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

ok, got that done and is taken care of the grounding issues, however positions 1 and 2 are both pups together for some reason where as 4 sound a little more nasal . The neck is much hotter. Basically I got neck in position 1?

Old February 6th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by djangoRobinson2 View Post
ok, got that done and is taken care of the grounding issues, however positions 1 and 2 are both pups together for some reason where as 4 sound a little more nasal . The neck is much hotter. Basically I got neck in position 1?

Please describe again. Confusing you say you have neck on 1, then both on 1 ???

# 1 is switch all the way back, BRIDGE only and so forth.

Take a paper clip or screw driver and tap on the pickups in EACH position and note what is engaging.

When you flip from 4 to 2, you should notice the tap on 4 being a little darker.

Sometimes the slot in the cover plate is not long enough for the lever to travel all the way. Loosen the switch screws and try it. You can file the slot out if need be.

Old February 6th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

position 1 and 2 are the same, with both pups engaged. position 4 is a little more nasal.

Old February 6th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Gotta do this: unground/reground the metal cover

That will probably cure your selector issues.

If you have a phase issue (thin and nasally tone with both pups on), simply reverse the hot and negative leads ON THE 4-WAY - leave the cover connected to ground.

Old February 7th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Already done it and I swapped the wires round for the reverse wired neck pup. I appreciate all the help I can get, but please read the rest of the thread just so you know where its at , cheers dave

Old February 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I read the whole thread, thank you. You might want to read this post where I explain the function of the 4-way mod, and perhaps read through that thread.

The cause of your 1 & 2 throws being the same (both pups on) is almost certainly because the neck pup has another path to ground, besides through the switch. This is most commonly caused by not having completely isolated the cover's ground from the pickup's negative (aka ground) lead. The "clip, clip" post above, and my unground/reground doc are trying to help you make sure that you understand the concept and get this done correctly.

Your second issue:
IF you are always getting a thin and nasally tone when both pups are playing, then your neck pickup is connected out of phase with the bridge pickup. I don't care if it's "reverse wound" or whatever, if it SOUNDS out of phase, it IS out of phase. The one and only fix is to reverse the hot and negative leads on the switch, regardless of what other data you have in hand. BUT...

If your wiring is all correct, and the tone is fine with both pups playing - but the pickup sounds "nasally" when you are certain it is playing by itself, sometimes an inadequate ground can thin out the tone of a pickup... so, this might be a different grounding issue, or it might be related to your "alternate path to ground" dilemma.

Old February 8th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

cheers,I've got the clip done and as far as I know I've got the pup ground running to the switch and the cover ground running to the body. But to be honest it was like that before I don the clip aand added the cover ground. will check!

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I read your article, where it says the neck pup is connected directly to the vol, is that in standard 3 way wiring, because nothing is connected directly in 4 way ?

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
I read your article, where it says the neck pup is connected directly to the vol, is that in standard 3 way wiring, because nothing is connected directly in 4 way ?
Uh... Read the post again, and I hope it will answer your question, because I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

The short version:

With the standard 3-way, the pickup hots are switched by the 3-way pickup selector. Their negative (aka grounds) leads are both connected directly to ground.

With the 4-way mod, the neck pup's negative (aka ground) lead is switched by the pickup selector, it is NOT connected directly to ground.

In the 4-way mod, the neck pickup's hot lead is connected to the volume pot, unswitched. Yes, it goes through several jumpers along the 4-way, but if you trace the path, you can see that it is always connected to the volume pot - never switched.

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Got it, so Its actually just cancelling the neck puo cheers

Old February 10th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

well I've been up all night testing. I've got it exactly as in the diagram shown in post 2. and I get position 1 and 2 both pups out of sinc, position 3 and 4 both in sinc ? lol

Old February 10th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

By out of sinc you mean not per the diagram ??

You did try it with the switch screws loose right ??

Check the lugs on the switch, could be one is bent and not disengaging with the wiper. They twist easy, and that can happen when you solder the wires on or stuff everything in the cavity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender switch parts 3-way-side.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	165952