Who makes the best inexpensive tele copy ? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 15th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Who makes the best inexpensive tele copy ?

I'm working on my second tele project that's almost done (tungn it up then stringn it up)...first project was a tele that I tryed to come exact as possible to 51 nocaster specs as possible including tmo-fat neck, lightweight butterblonde nitro swamp ash, blend wiring using all vintage parts (crl1452 brown phenolic type, vintage luxe period correct capacitor, correct cloth wiring,nos Allen Bradley,vintage switchcraft jack,ect), correct milled cup jack, nos nocaster waterslide decal, correct tuners, strap button, and repro knobs and bridge imprinted with a 51 blackguard nocaster # i liked from a book...and of course the custom shop pups! Whew, did I leave anything out?!? Oh and the relic job that required much studying of nachos blackguard book, youtube and threads,which came out surprisingly good for a first timer! Tough to tackle for a first project huh? Posted it on eBay for $1000 at midnight on a Friday and when I woke up Saturday morning at 8am it was Sold (regret!) that was fast! Guess it was good one! And then I got into cutting my own bodie thanx to Ron kirn! Did a few bodies (sonic blue relic,blonde, unfinished) and sold) now building full guitar again from scratch: chambered ash body with Indian rosewood top W/ F hole, rear route,and 52ri's...I know my"whole life's story" here but I'm looking for an inexpensive back up guitar that's good so I don't destroy my DIY I slaved over... I see guitars like the gfs and they look like they do good copies...never played one but they are super cheap (way cheaper than a DIY guitar) and the quality don't look to bad either...I've used their pro pickups and liked em! So who's your favorite inexpensive copies?!? Anyone use gfs? Anything else like that out there? Whatcha got?

relic@$ter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic@$ter View Post
I'm working on my second tele project that's almost done (tungn it up then stringn it up)...first project was a tele that I tryed to come exact as possible to 51 nocaster specs as possible including tmo-fat neck, lightweight butterblonde nitro swamp ash, blend wiring using all vintage parts (crl1452 brown phenolic type, vintage luxe period correct capacitor, correct cloth wiring,nos Allen Bradley,vintage switchcraft jack,ect), correct milled cup jack, nos nocaster waterslide decal, correct tuners, strap button, and repro knobs and bridge imprinted with a 51 blackguard nocaster # i liked from a book...and of course the custom shop pups! Whew, did I leave anything out?!? Oh and the relic job that required much studying of nachos blackguard book, youtube and threads,which came out surprisingly good for a first timer! Tough to tackle for a first project huh? Posted it on eBay for $1000 at midnight on a Friday and when I woke up Saturday morning at 8am it was Sold (regret!) that was fast! Guess it was good one! And then I got into cutting my own bodie thanx to Ron kirn! Did a few bodies (sonic blue relic,blonde, unfinished) and sold) now building full guitar again from scratch: chambered ash body with Indian rosewood top W/ F hole, rear route,and 52ri's...I know my"whole life's story" here but I'm looking for an inexpensive back up guitar that's good so I don't destroy my DIY I slaved over... I see guitars like the gfs and they look like they do good copies...never played one but they are super cheap (way cheaper than a DIY guitar) and the quality don't look to bad either...I've used their pro pickups and liked em! So who's your favorite inexpensive copies?!? Anyone use gfs? Anything else like that out there? Whatcha got?
Here's an "esquire" I did using a GFS body, bridge, pickguard, and pickup. The neck came from someone else. I like the end results. I made some mistakes here and there that I will have to rectify later, but nothing TOO major. I need to move the bridge a little bit toward the butt of the body; the intonation screws are at their limit and still need to go a touch more.

Old January 15th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Used G&L Tribute, hands down. I prefer the ones that were made in mainland Asia to the ones made in Indonesia, and those ones all came with nice gig bags too. But even the Indonesian ones are good, and until recently, they came with bags. They're just a few hundred bucks, but they're some of the best import "Fenders" ever made.
EsquireOK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 15th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Wow, I always thought g&l were more in the thousand range (maybe some are?)...ill post pics my rosewood topped thinline (has a nicely chunky gfs neck that I cut the paddle headstock to tele shape, has vintage heel truss all for $35 (I got one while they were on sale, usually $45-$50) I don't know of a better deal then that anywhere!!!do you?!? How's it even possible? Idk but I like my $35 gfs better than the $100 mighty mite neck I had a while back! Is there any thing else out there like that?!?id like to know! I've looked at the guitar mill where it's all fender bodies and necks (they do nitro too) and some of there "get it now" stuff really is a much better quality (light swamp ash) at some prices I've not seen other places...but what about full guitars?!? G&L...gfs...what's your inexpensive QUALITY copy...

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I do. Send me $50 and I'll send you a beautiful full color photo copy of my CS Nocaster to compare with your build. It's still a "copy" right?
CS Nocaster; "Nashcaster"; MP Thinline; MIM/Nashville; Squier CVC; Lenti Esquire; Peavey Generation Custom EXP, Taylor 214ce-dlx; Breedlove C250cme; Roland Cube 40xl; Roland Blues Cube; Bugera v5; Ampeg GVT-112e, CV JBass; CV PBass; tc BG250 1x15 Bass Amp.
soulman969 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender-freak View Post

Here's an "esquire" I did using a GFS body, bridge, pickguard, and pickup. The neck came from someone else. I like the end results. I made some mistakes here and there that I will have to rectify later, but nothing TOO major. I need to move the bridge a little bit toward the butt of the body; the intonation screws are at their limit and still need to go a touch more.
Man! I love the idea of butterblonde finish with a curly maple top and curly maple neck...perfect guitar and always wanted to do that same look but never seen anyone have one (so I alway pretended it was my idea, denying the fact that there probably hundreds of people that had that same idea,sigh) gfs doesn't sell unfinished bodies that have figured tops like that,do they?!? Did you buy it finished like that? Hmm

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Squier Classic Vibe Tele...either new with a 15% off coupon or used from craigslist
HopDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Just bought a Dean Tele knock-off for $175 out the door. Made in China I think by Samick. Not a bad guitar, it even came with Grover 18-1 tuners. After a quick set-up it plays pretty good. Brought to a local open jam and it sounded okay. The best part was that I wasn't worried about it getting stolen or knocked over or anything else happening to it.
I next put it on the bench to change out the strings and do a thorough set up. The stock bridge was kind of cheesy so I replaced it with a new 6 saddle Gotoh I had. The pickups were not the greatest and I had a new set of Stew-Mac golden age that I put in. While I was there I also changed out the pots, switch and jack. I'll probably level and recrown the frets and make a bone nut for it next. Why can't I leave anything alone?
Pup Tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Man! I love the idea of butterblonde finish with a curly maple top and curly maple neck...perfect guitar and always wanted to do that same look but never seen anyone have one (so I alway pretended it was my idea, denying the fact that there probably hundreds of people that had that same idea,sigh) gfs doesn't sell unfinished bodies that have figured tops like that,do they?!? Did you buy it finished like that? Hmm
Mine was already finished, don't know if GFS sells unfinished bodies or not. For the price, around $60 total with shipping it was a BARGAIN, imo. The neck was twice that amount. Somewhere around $300 total in the guitar....plus a couple hours time.

Old January 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopDog View Post
Squier Classic Vibe Tele...either new with a 15% off coupon or used from craigslist
+1

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
+2
Lefty Addams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

CV50 or GFS Esquier partscaster-+++++1!
oldteleguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
+1
Rod Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:

gfs doesn't sell unfinished bodies that have figured tops like that,do they?!? Did you buy it finished like that? Hmm
I believe GFS does sell unfinished tele bodies with figured maple tops.
GParty

"300 years from now after the nuclear holocaust or the comet hits all that will be left will cockroaches, Twinkies and Teles." - soulman969
GPartysGtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Wow, lots of squire love huh?!? Wasn't expecting that! I wonder if people have tried both squire and gfs and who wins?!?! Whatcha think?!?

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldteleguy View Post
CV50 or GFS Esquier partscaster-+++++1!
Which one wins in you humble opinion?

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My latest...can't decide if I like using tung?done nitro in past but can't in my new apartment so I tried tung oil (easier,doesn't smell,nitro looks better IMHO)

Thinking of using a paulownia gfs body...any experience?!? Seems like a deal!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2388954070.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	161593

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Squier do it fine.
Josť is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I want to get a cv tele not sure what to pay for it. Seems silly spending more than 100 on a squier.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

Old January 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have read here that quite a few of the new Classic Vibe Teles are very heavy.. Sweetwater music posts pictures and weights of the new ones, on-line. A used older CV 50 Tele would be cheaper and maybe lighter. You might want to try the necks out before buying too. A bit thin for some. I got a white one from 2010 and I love it, especially for a back-up geetar.
Rod Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote