Identify me a tele, giant noob ahead - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Identify me a tele, giant noob ahead

Hello all! Giant noob here looking for an electric and I've decided it should be a tele.
I play a lot of genres, blues, country, rock etc but have a main emphasis on rock, some heavier stuff although I've heard with the right setup you can play heavy rock or metal(any truth to this?)

I love the rock tone of this tele in particular:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhuh6...m0A7sQ&index=2
Any ID on this guitar? I know with the footage that it might be hard to tell, theres more videos with this guitar on the channel.

If not, any tele recommendations based on my preferences and the guitar in the video?
Budget is around £500

A-Crazy-Finish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It looks like a 'Crafted In Japan' 62 Custom Tele, or possibly an American Vintage 62 Custom Tele. They normally come with a white pickguard, so I would think the black one in the clip has been added later.

For a budget of around £500, you could either look for the Japanese model used, or maybe get yourself a Baja:

Or a Blacktop Tele HH might suit you if you want to use humbuckers for heavier sounds:

czgibson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Teles are extremely versatile... James Burton recorded "Corn Pickin and Slip Slidin" with Ralph Mooney about the same time Jimmy Page was doing "Led Zeppelin I"...same guitar...different amps, different players, very different sounds.

You can make a tele do just about anything you want. Thats why we love them so much.

I would suggest a standard style tele ...AM Stnd, HWY 1, MIM Standard or Squire CV series...and adjust the pickups to get the sound you're looking for.

Hotter output pickups will distort easier and maintain clarity a little better when heavily distorted. Seymour duncan and dimarzio have several choices...Fender Texas Specials are good choices as well (my preferred replacement pup for break up).
unccivil is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I enjoyed the vid and the player, thanks.

As great as the Tele is, don't fixate on the guitar for that "tone" ....... It's almost incidental once the output has been so processed. A tele through a decently overdriven amp with the bass dialled back will give you the early rhythm tone ..... After that its silicon chips and decent playing.

IMHO of course. .. ......

Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for the replies, probably focusing too much on getting a specific model me thinks, basing it on things I've heard, like the squier cv series isn't as great at rock as the mim standard and so on.
I think any tele thats able to produce a tone like that while also still being able to produce that classic twang is a winner.
Btw, heard the quality control on the baja isnt too great, any truth to that?
A-Crazy-Finish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Crazy-Finish View Post
I think any tele thats able to produce a tone like that while also still being able to produce that classic twang is a winner.
Btw, heard the quality control on the baja isnt too great, any truth to that?
The QC on the Baja I own is just fine. Do a search for "Baja" in the thread headings here, there's loads of discussion, but I can't say I've heard much negative comment, especially in respect of QC.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

All I hear are good things about the Baja- getting one today so I'll let you know!