fake made in japan telecaster? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

fake made in japan telecaster?

hello guys! im new in this forum, i have a very nice telecaster blonde with a white pickguard, got it for a steal because the made in japan decal on the back of the neck was scratched away (the guy who sold it to me told me that one of the previous owners wanted it to make it appear as if it was a made in USA one, stupid i know) and thats why i got it really cheap, plus its my favourite combination colour ever, rosewood neck :)

anyways, the guitar sounds and plays like a dream, but now i am concerned if its actually an original one, i have some things that make me doubt. The most important one, is the jack input, it looks like a cheap plank of metal secured by 4 bolts, instead of the rounded, carved into the wood that ive seen in practically evey telecaster. also, the tone and volume control looked really cheap, already changed it.

so, my impression is that the components resembled a lot the ones from a squier, but the neck is really nice and looks exactly like the original ones, or reissues at least, even the tuners are the 50┤s ones, only the string guide, instead of the round one from guitars from the era, looks like a squier one. but even the decals are very good, and on the back od the neck, where it joins the body, it should say made in japan, but its scratched. 21 frets, the back oplate only says fender in tiny letters

also no clue about the year, i think would be a 60s model, once i saw a exact one look alike and it was 64 i think

anyways sorry for the long post, ill upload some pics later :)

panchordz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Does the headstock have a truss rod hole?
polvotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

pics of japan telecaster

here are some pics of the details i mentioned :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3021 (2).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	156990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3022 (3).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	156991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3024 (2).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	156992  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3026 (2).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	156993  

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old December 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

no, it doesnt thanks for the reply, look at the pics down :)

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

An MIJ "62 Reissue", or more correctly a TL62 would have the butterfly string tree instead of the round one, but the logo is in the wrong place for a TL62. It should be further towards the end of the headstock.
dannyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It looks legit but I would be upset about the socket. I'm knit picky though. I'm all into the aesthetics and stuff, looks...
Aside from that, I think you got a nice guitar. 60's are the coolest.

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Pretty guitar though...
dannyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

greatí thanks for the info man, i really cant find anywhere pics of this exact model (MIJ, white pickguard, blonde)

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polvotone View Post
It looks legit but I would be upset about the socket. I'm knit picky though. I'm all into the aesthetics and stuff, looks...

i know, im the same! but also really my fav telecaster colour and combination ever, and the sound its just great, super twangy and warm, the wood is really resonant, a nice piece of work :)

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

a fake would neither look as good or play as good as you report...looks good to me and the jack plate is probably original.....my 85 MIJ 62 RI appears to have had a jack like that at one time ...notice the unfilled holes...( I got it like that )

ROADMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Take a photo of what is under the neck.
winny pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADMAN View Post
a fake would neither look as good or play as good as you report...looks good to me and the jack plate is probably original.....my 85 MIJ 62 RI appears to have had a jack like that at one time ...notice the unfilled holes...( I got it like that )

ahh very nice guitar man, thats a custom 62 RI if i recall correctly right? yes i can see the holes, weird thing though :)

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchordz View Post
i know, im the same! but also really my fav telecaster colour and combination ever, and the sound its just great, super twangy and warm, the wood is really resonant, a nice piece of work :)
It's my favorite combo ever as well, I like them white, but blonde is great too. White with rosewood board is untouchable. I have seen your exact model for sale a few times on Ebay.
Check out my new build to be finished early January.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaste...ml#post4589293

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny pooh View Post
Take a photo of what is under the neck.
i will, next week probably when i change the strings. if i remember correctly, it was a 1987 date on it i think last time i checked

Last edited by panchordz; December 20th, 2012 at 03:29 AM.

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
It's my favorite combo ever as well, I like them white, but blonde is great too. White with rosewood board is untouchable. I have seen your exact model for sale a few times on Ebay.
Check out my new build to be finished early January.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaste...ml#post4589293

ahhh thats a lovely one! make sure to post pics once its finished, im also stuck for too long now with a stratocaster plus body, looking for a nice neck

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyh View Post
An MIJ "62 Reissue", or more correctly a TL62 would have the butterfly string tree instead of the round one, but the logo is in the wrong place for a TL62. It should be further towards the end of the headstock.

so what do you think? my opinion is that it is an original one but with weird details, like the decal (although i thought that myself, but ive seen many with the decal either more up or in the same position)

Old December 19th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

This looks like the early JV serial 62 Tele intended for the Japanese market though it should have a JV serial bridgeplate. The FENDER neckplate is normally found on late 80's/early 90's models so some parts could have been changed on your guitar. If you scroll to the bottom of this link there is a pic of a similar JV Tele:
http://en.audiofanzine.com/search/im...++++0,p.3.html

Old December 19th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
This looks like the early JV serial 62 Tele intended for the Japanese market though it should have a JV serial bridgeplate. The FENDER neckplate is normally found on late 80's/early 90's models so some parts could have been changed on your guitar. If you scroll to the bottom of this link there is a pic of a similar JV Tele:
http://en.audiofanzine.com/search/im...++++0,p.3.html
ah yes, it is very similar, although the body of mine doesnt have the cable routing between the bridge and neck pickup, but the neck is identical and also the bridge plate with the bronze 3 piece saddles, although it doesnt have any inscription on it.

Im getting really curious about the guitar now, i really wondered if it was stock pieces like that or if someone changed them, but the latest is less probable, because i got it in mexico, and it is really unlikely someone would modify it with such correct period parts, and im wondering also if it turns out to be a model intended for the japanese market how did it end up in mexico haha very interesting history behind it :) Danielle its her name, btw

Old December 19th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I didn't notice before, but the headstock shape is off, and enough so that I'd say it's not genuine.
I'm sorry man. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT:
That does look like a JV neck, like the one in the link above, so I guess it is legit.

Old December 20th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Does the headstock have a truss rod hole?
hey guys, doing some research i actually come to think i have a JV reissue, look at this link, almost at the end, it explains theres no truss rode hole on some models ie. 62 Telecaster, like someone previously said http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jvdetails_1.htm