MIM Cabronita ...noisy!!! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 24th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

MIM Cabronita ...noisy!!!

I purchased a MIM Cabronita about a month ago. When I plugged it into my rig I got a high pitched hum that worsens when I engage any type of gain pedal.

I have another Tele that has a Dimarzio Chopper T in the bridge and it is dead quiet when I plug it into the same rig.

So I took the Cabronita to a tech to check the wiring and grounds, thinking that maybe I have a ground issue. After a couple of days he says he sees no issues. So I plug it into an amp at his shop, and no hum. Cool!

Bring it back and plug it I to my rig .....loud hum! My other Tele is still dead quiet when I plug it into the same rig.

Needless to say, I'm at a loss of what to do next. My next thought was to buy some copper tape and shield the Cabronita?

I play on a stage that has two large flat screens. Could that be part of the noise issue ? Seems like it would effect both guitars?

Oddly enough, I plugged into Amplitube at home last night to practice, and I had no noise issues with either guitars.

Thanks do much for your input. I really want/need to resolve this issue.

GregWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Various electronic devices will cause hum for a variety of reasons. If the variable here is the flat screens, that is most likely your problem. Since playing your guitar in a different location removed the hum, it's not the guitar. Since playing different guitars through the same amp didn't create the hum, it's not the amp. I would suggest looking into some other grounding options as well as considering changing the orientation of the stage you play on. My television and computer both cause hum with my telecaster. Also, look for neon or efflorescent lights. If the place you are playing has them, that could be the issue. They are famous for causing hum with any single coil pickup.

Old November 25th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

FYI just to clarify the Cabronitas have Humbuckers installed. Funny how Humbuckers can make more noise than single coils. Before going to crazy do you know for sure that the tech actually checked out your guitar or did he just plug it in and say it's fine? I still think loose wire or bad/cold solder joint and would start at the jack and work my way back. The switches on the Cabs seem a little flimsy would expect that to be an issue if the jack is ok.. * Being that the guitar is new I wouldn't get to into fixing it myself. *

If spending more money is an option and you feel your pedals are the culprit this *gizmo has gotten great feed back. http://www.ehx.com/products/hum-debugger .
xtrajerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 25th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Good luck figuring out the issue. Seems like a grounding issue to me. Guitars are interesting little antennas, and they pick up different frequencies, so it's not surprising to me that different guitars do different hum.

I had a very similar issue....hum in one room, no hum in another, then hum in both rooms. I would suggest first plugging directly into your amp, to eliminate the effect of pedals from the grounding equation. If you still get the loud hum, check pickup to pickup. If hum in both, then it's your amp or the wiring in the guitar. Also check with different cables. Some jacks seat cables differently.

If direct plugging eliminates hum, it's your pedals. First thing I think of is that all your gear is plugged into the same outlet. I had the noise issue on stage at church and fixed the issue entirely by plugging the amp and pedalboard on different outlets.

~Mo

Old November 25th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobaar View Post
Good luck figuring out the issue. Seems like a grounding issue to me. Guitars are interesting little antennas, and they pick up different frequencies, so it's not surprising to me that different guitars do different hum.

I had a very similar issue....hum in one room, no hum in another, then hum in both rooms. I would suggest first plugging directly into your amp, to eliminate the effect of pedals from the grounding equation. If you still get the loud hum, check pickup to pickup. If hum in both, then it's your amp or the wiring in the guitar. Also check with different cables. Some jacks seat cables differently.

If direct plugging eliminates hum, it's your pedals. First thing I think of is that all your gear is plugged into the same outlet. I had the noise issue on stage at church and fixed the issue entirely by plugging the amp and pedalboard on different outlets.

~Mo
Thanks for the advice - I've done all of this.

I took the Cabronita and plugged it directly into the amp using several differnt cables - same noise, even when I change pickups. I did the same thing with another guitar and it was noiseless. So I dont think it's the amp.

I'm familiar with ground loops, and I dont think that it's an issue. Seems to me if it was a ground loop it would be the same for both guitars?

The weird thing is that this noise didnt happen at my techs shop. I plugged into several amps there and the Cabronita was quiet. I'm gonna bring my amp home and see if I experience the same thing.

Driving me crazy! I so want to gig the Cabronita, but it is so noisy, even when played clean, that it's a distraction.

I'll keep searching, and keep you posted.

The craziest

Old November 26th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Try shielding the wires in the body... I found my IM 72 Deluxe was pretty noisy and once the pup and wire routes were shielded it's been dead silent.

May even be a gounding issue, but I've found the shielding issue t be the biggest concern.

Cheers

Dave

Old November 30th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Update.

I brought my rig home and plugged in my Cabronita.....dead quiet.

I guess this means I've maybe got to revisit the ground loop issue. I'm already lifting the ground off my amp and pedal board. Any other ideas?

Has anyone ever used a hum eliminator? Recommendations?

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I had an intermittent hum and general interference on my rig from every plug socket in the house. But some days it was sweet, took me months to discover it was only when my bedroom light was on. The hum was caused by the dimmer unit which subsequently got thrown in the bin!
Jack-o is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have no hum issues with my Baja Tele, until I play with the TV on. So YES it may AFFECT any guitar. It has affected my Gibson ES-347 with coil tapped humbuckers, even in humbucker mode, though not as bad as in the split single coil mode.

Will shielding help? I don't know. Just find the magic spot on the floor when it hums least and play on, brother.

My pedal has a noise gate and maybe that helps, but I can still get hum in the right situations. When I practice I don't use the pedal, and go direct to the amp, and naturally I get more hum in the bedroom amp that has a TV.

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWV View Post
Update.

I brought my rig home and plugged in my Cabronita.....dead quiet.

I guess this means I've maybe got to revisit the ground loop issue. I'm already lifting the ground off my amp and pedal board. Any other ideas?

Has anyone ever used a hum eliminator? Recommendations?
What do you mean by "lifting the ground off""?

Old November 30th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrajerry View Post

What do you mean by "lifting the ground off""?
I use an adapter that goes from a three prong to a two prong. Am I endangering my life to avoid a ground loop?

The stage I play on incorporates 2 large flat panel tv's. Unfortunately they aren't going anywhere. I'm guessing these are the culprits?

Old November 30th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:

I use an adapter that goes from a three prong to a two prong. Am I endangering my life to avoid a ground loop?

The stage I play on incorporates 2 large flat panel tv's. Unfortunately they aren't going anywhere. I'm guessing these are the culprits?
Sounds risky to me to do it this way., if you're sure all the solder joints are good I'd start with shielding or the pedal I linked to earlier. What happens when you plug this guitar into a different amp on that stage? Can you try your rig out with the TV's off?

Old November 30th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrajerry View Post

Sounds risky to me to do it this way., if you're sure all the solder joints are good I'd start with shielding or the pedal I linked to earlier. What happens when you plug this guitar into a different amp on that stage? Can you try your rig out with the TV's off?
When the tv's are off, I get the same noise. I play in a church that is maybe 60 yrs old. We just replaced the majority of all the fluorescent lighting with LEDs. Not sure why the noise with this Cabronita.

My entire rig is louder at church. Maybe a power conditioner?

Old November 30th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:

When the tv's are off, I get the same noise. I play in a church that is maybe 60 yrs old. We just replaced the majority of all the fluorescent lighting with LEDs. Not sure why the noise with this Cabronita.

My entire rig is louder at church. Maybe a power conditioner?
A filtered conditioner could be your answer., it will also protect your equipment from power surges & spikes.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brows...ediaId=m710555

Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I just ordered a Ehx hum debugger. I thought it couldn't hurt to try. I can always send it back.

I'll keep u posted.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a Behringer Vintage Tube Monster VT999 in my chain that I use for most songs as a solid, good tone OD. even when compared to other pedals I've used (Fulltone MOSFET, TS9, Bad Monkey). The other plus is that there's a noise gate built in, so if you keep it early on the chain, you can eliminate the 60hz hum. Nice to have it built in without taking up extra space.

~Mo

Old December 7th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The EHX Hum Debugger came in. I put it first in my chain. Turned on my rig with my Cabronita. It was noisy. Stomped on the Debugger and it worked like a charm. No noise!

My sound man was happy and he said he heard no change in my tone. I guess I'm a believer.

Old December 7th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
The EHX Hum Debugger came in. I put it first in my chain. Turned on my rig with my Cabronita. It was noisy. Stomped on the Debugger and it worked like a charm. No noise!

My sound man was happy and he said he heard no change in my tone. I guess I'm a believer.
Terrific, glad all is good. Still would be nice to know what actually was causing the hum.

Old December 7th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

This may sound crazy, but our entire sound system is noisier. We started picking up a radio station in our in-ears,too. I've heard that this time of year lends itself to this phenomenon. .....seriously. I have no idea why. Anybody else heard of this?

Old December 7th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My Melody Maker used to pick up radio in my bed room!