High E string too close to edge of fretboard - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

High E string too close to edge of fretboard

I recently bought a new 2012 MIM standard tele with a maple neck. I really like it. The one thing that is bugging me is that the high E string is really close to the edge of the fretboard. It's like this across the length of the entire neck. I think it is because the nut slot is too close to the edge of the nut. It makes it virtually impossible to do a pull off from the 3rd fret on the high E.

The low E string is like this too, but it doesn't bother me as much.

Is this a common problem on MIM teles? What should I do about it? Replace the nut? If so, what kind would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice.

Mind Flayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I had the same issue when I bought my first tele but after trying out different kinds and taking my guitar to my luthier I realized that my problem was that I was just not used to playing on a 9.5 radius neck and medium size frets. Just my $ 0.02.
Jegonzal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Flayer View Post
I recently bought a new 2012 MIM standard tele with a maple neck. I really like it. The one thing that is bugging me is that the high E string is really close to the edge of the fretboard. It's like this across the length of the entire neck. I think it is because the nut slot is too close to the edge of the nut. It makes it virtually impossible to do a pull off from the 3rd fret on the high E.

The low E string is like this too, but it doesn't bother me as much.

Is this a common problem on MIM teles? What should I do about it? Replace the nut? If so, what kind would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice.
Before you start thinking about replacing a nut on a new guitar, go back to where you bought it and try some other ones. I'm sure that the nuts are mass produced, but you could have a bad one. Otherwise what Jegonzal said.

(BTW, this was a common complaint for the first iteration of the Line 6 Tyler Variax.)
zwayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I think Fender will cover the warranty work to put a new nut in if you like the guitar enough to keep it.

Old November 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Telefied

All it probably needs is the neck screws loosened slightly and the neck moved so it lines up better.

A badly cut nut isnt covered under warranty if so 98% of Fenders would have to go back cause they are hardly ever cut right.

Warranty is for things that break not for a bad setup.

Old November 10th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quite possible the nut wasn't cut right. Post a pic.. I received a USA Telebration La Cab with a nut that actually had 2 slots that weren't cut.

The other issue that pops up over here from time to time is the neck is off slightly. Pretty easy fix wich some guys do to while the guitar is seat the necks better. While the guitar is tuned to pitch back out the screws holding the neck 1/2 a turn or so each so the string tension is able to pull the neck into the pocket. In your case you might need to put a little lateral pressure to line everything up. Should take all of a couple minutes. I do this with all of my guitars when I first get them. Had one that I actually heard the neck move.
xtrajerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Telefied

Can you post an image of the nut?

If the nut slot is truly off, consider returning the guitar (perhaps the dealer has the means to replace the nut with a proper one, give that a look see).

TDPRI member "Carzee" did a post on the neck adjustment procedure Mark is talking about. (do an Advanced search for "neck adjustment" and "Carzee") Usually, when the string plays off the edge it is bad neck alignment so if the slot is fine, this will be your solution. This adjustment is great, really improves the guitar in many other ways as well.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davis View Post
All it probably needs is the neck screws loosened slightly and the neck moved so it lines up better.

A badly cut nut isnt covered under warranty if so 98% of Fenders would have to go back cause they are hardly ever cut right.

Since the high E and low E are both at the edge according to the owner that tells me the neck is not off angle.

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Here is a picture of the nut. I have also posted a picture of the spot where the neck meets the body - this is to show that the distance between the string and the edge of the fretboard is even throughout - which suggests to me that it's not a problem with the bridge or saddle alignment.

When comparing this to the nuts on my other guitars, it looks to me like the nut slot is just too close to the edge, but I'll defer to others who are more experienced.

I bought the guitar at GC. I'd really prefer not to return it - I like the guitar, and the other teles they had in the store didn't do much for me. If fixing the issue is just a matter of putting in a new nut, I'm fine with doing that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tele_neck.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	151509   Click image for larger version

Name:	tele_nut.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	151510  

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I must say that my MIM 60s Roadworn has the high E and Low E very close to the edge. I have lowered the strings to combat this issue but maybe it is like the vintage early Strats were designed like. The modern Bridge has a slighty narrow spacing to remedy this issue.

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Nut looks pretty well cut all across, can you show the bridge, the way that neck looks consistant, I'm curious about the bridge placement or saddles. Sometimes that low e will hang up on the saddle adjustment screw too, but you'd have probally already spotted that.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

That nut is off. I just looked my 2011 MIM and the high E cut is definately too close to the edge on your guitar. I'd have it set up and get a new nut...done!
william tele is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Telefied

I like the idea of a new nut, here.

Both the Es are mighty close to the respective edges. The Neck Adjustment trick is always a good idea but in this instance, with the slots so spread out, the low E is then gonna be trailing off the board. So, I'd have 'em replace the nut or return the guitar for another.
boris bubbanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yeah i think I would return that one if I could. A new nut should fix the problem though.
adjason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input everyone. Probably can't return it anyway, since I have already replaced the pickups, but I'll get a new nut. Any recommendations on what brand/model will fit a MIM standard?

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I always go at least 3/32's from hi E string to edge of fb.

Yours looks not near that. You are lucky in that the fret ends are not overly beveled.

i

Old November 10th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I meant the high e , and maybe its me or an illusion but that high e appears to get closer to the edge of the neck as it passes the first fret, thats weird, should move inward, which made me think the problem was at the other end.

Old November 10th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Just disregard me, I'm not explaining what I think I'm seeing very well. Obviously it shouldn't move inward since the bridge spacing is wider, it should have more wood under it though since the neck gets wider. That is what leads me to believe the problem is at the other end, something causing the string to hug the edge of the neck. Oh well, it probally needs a new nut.

Old November 10th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davis

Mark,
I have had a nut replaced under warranty for this issue. I posted about thos as well as the resulting warranty coverage several years ago.

Old November 10th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 54 View Post
I always go at least 3/32's from hi E string to edge of fb.

Yours looks not near that. You are lucky in that the fret ends are not overly beveled.

i
had this on a nocaster yrs ago, what a pain!
TeleTown is offline   Reply With Quote