Derek Trucks Tele autograph, help - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 23rd, 2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Derek Trucks Tele autograph, help

Got to see Derek trucks a few days ago in Spartanburg ,SC and wow!! His playing is other worldly but I got the opportunity to meet him after the show and he signed my Select series Tele right below the bridge pickup, it's in permanent sharpie but any other ideas on how to preserve and make sure the autograph doesn't fade I play the Tele heavily, any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Smokey89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Telefied

if you spray it with clear it will usually make the sig melt and run off.

There really isnt much you can do.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My idea is this ..

Why don't you try to make a clear acrylic plastic sheet that would be held down by the edge of the bridge plate and the top edge of the control plate. I have some adhesive backed clear material that is sold to protect your cars hood leading edge or across the top of your rear bumper cover below the trunk opening for protection.The plastic will protect the signature and still let you see it even in the distant future. The adhesive backed tape can be purchased in a roll at Pep Boys or other aftermarket automobile parts stores.

Search the internet using paint protection plastic or film like this one that even has a video clib. http://www.decalfx.com/paint_protection_film.html

The cost starts at around $25.00 and you would have enough to do 30 or so guitars.

Another possibility is to go by the local Window Tint installers and talk to them or dumpster dive for scraps. Let us know what you end up doing, especially if it works!

Lost_N_Austin

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old October 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

get some of that laminate stuff for cards, fishing license, insurance cards, etc you carry in your billfold. usually can be found at Walmart in the checkout lines or back in sporting goods, it's adhesive and you can buy enough to cover 50 signature for just a few dollars.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Yup, that's the way to go, clear PET film adhered over the signature.
Uncle Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Just curious, how did you happen to have your tele on hand at a show? Were you opening or playing on a side stage or something? I'm jealous, Derek Trucks is one of my favorite guitarists of all time.
Mind Flayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Use a spray acrylic sealant, available at artist's supplies, test it first…. you can clear coat over it..

Ron Kirn
The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in college was my blood alcohol content.
www.ronkirn.com
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestions, ima have to test them out, and to MindFlayer I just was at the show, and thought to bring my Tele and by chance if I asked around I could figure out a way to get him to sign it, I left my guitar in the car during the show because they wouldn't let me bring it in, but luckily for me I asked around and discovered Derek's father was helping with the merchandise stand so I asked him and he said after the show behind the building wear his touring bus is I might be able to catch him, I tried it and sure enough as he was walking out he saw me standing there and was a really cool down to earth guy, and signed my Tele and my copy of tedeschi trucks new album! Was a very cool/ surreal experience getting to meet my favorite guitarist and getting his signature, and discovering how nice of a person he is!

Old October 24th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkirn View Post
Use a spray acrylic sealant, available at artist's supplies, test it first…. you can clear coat over it..

Ron Kirn
....or you could have RK just run up the street to Dereks house and get him to re-sign it for ya when it fades.....hahahahaha

Old October 24th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Retire the Tele, box it up, then tell your kinfolk to pass it on to the next generation (and instruct them to do the same). A couple of generations from now, that Tele is going to be worth some big $$$!

Old October 24th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Yeah ive thought about retiring it, on top of it now having his signature it also was 1 of the first 100 select series tele"s ever made it came with a certificate signed by the vice president of fender which only the first 100 guitars made got, retiring it would be hard though, I love the hell out of the thing probaly would be the wisest decision though, lol