Switching between Tele and LP - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 14th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Switching between Tele and LP

I've heard a lot of LP players complain about the location of the volume knob when they move from an LP to a Strat. Anybody have any problems or pet peeves when they switch off between a Tele and an LP style guitar?

I've been gigging four different LPs for the last 2-3 years. I just recently reunited with my old Tele Custom and had the neck refinished and refretted. It plays and sounds like a dream, but I have noticed that I keep hitting the bottom edge of the ash tray with my pick when strumming. I guess I tend to attack the strings mostly, right in front of the bridge pickup (on an LP).

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

ThreePeace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreePeace View Post
I've heard a lot of LP players complain about the location of the volume knob when they move from an LP to a Strat. Anybody have any problems or pet peeves when they switch off between a Tele and an LP style guitar?

I've been gigging four different LPs for the last 2-3 years. I just recently reunited with my old Tele Custom and had the neck refinished and refretted. It plays and sounds like a dream, but I have noticed that I keep hitting the bottom edge of the ash tray with my pick when strumming. I guess I tend to attack the strings mostly, right in front of the bridge pickup (on an LP).

I love the LP control layout and the way the tone/volumes work.

If I understand correctly, regarding the tele, you're hitting the "lip" of the metal plate where the bridge pup is mounted. Doesn't really bother me but I know what you're talking about. That's why the G.E. Smith tele has a short metal plate - the way that guitar ios designed you cannot hit the metal plate while picking.
ac15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I would say say that it depends upon you playing style. I've never had problems switching between Teles and guitars, with Gibson-type control layouts. But this may be partially due to the fact that I pick from wrist movement, not from keeping my wrist locked, and doing picking picking movements from my elbow.
EllenGtrGrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

It takes a bit before you stop banging on the Tele's bridge lip. One day you'll just realize you're not doing it anymore.

I switched back and forth between a Tele and a Les Paul since 1980 or so. Lately I've pretty much been an exclusively Tele guy (I still have my Goldtop, though, I may change my mind). To me it was a good fit. The bodies hang similarly and there's a decent amount of overlap between what they do. The LP will get to smooth and rich, while the Tele can get you to clangy, twangy and aggressive.

Great combo, and worth the (minor) teething pain.

P.

Old October 14th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Seems reasonable. On a tele you have one tone, and one volume. Two of each on a paul. I use both back and forth so I'm used to the differences but still manage to miss the right control from time to time on the les paul. Love my pauls, but the simplicicty of a tele is hard to beat.
motorfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've been switching between a tele and LP for years. It's no problem.

Old October 14th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I love all my guitars

I have three tele's a strat and a LP . each one of my guitars I play for certain types of songs as they all inspire my playing differently

Quote:

crawlinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Some people will complain about anything.
nadzab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The only downside in switching between a Telecaster and a Les Paul, is when you’re playing one you inevitably miss the other.
roycaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mur
Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I can never get used to the Tele's layout ...LP is easier and more comfortable, but I never cared for their sound.
Mur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycaster View Post
The only downside in switching between a Telecaster and a Les Paul, is when you’re playing one you inevitably miss the other.
Another downside is the chiropractor bills.
zwayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadzab View Post
Right, just as some people will ruin a car whatever brand it is in a short time. It's all about getting used to it.

I converted my LP GT's bridge PU Tone knob to work as a master volume while keeping the rest as is. Makes things a lot easier.

Dialing in an amp's EQ while switching between a Fender and a LP is a lot more challenging to me than operating the knobs.

Rescue the Telecaster tone. Ban stomp boxes.
(Maybe not the Zen Drive)
Telemach_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of Les Pauls and find the volume and tone controls are easier to deal with in a live stage (trio plus singer) situation - it just takes a flip of the switch and the volume & tone are pre-set to some extent.

With my tele I have to flip the switch and possibly tweak the volume and/or tone - not a major thing but with my band set-up it can be obvious if I drop out for a beat or two at times.

But my 68 tele is more fun to play lately even though I'm better on the Les Pauls. Had pretty much ditched the tele for 20 years but recently restored a few things and am lovin it.
Bartholomew3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I spent many many years switching between LPs and Strats and never had a problem with the Strat's volume knob as others have stated.

I just noticed this on the Tele because I normally play with a big thick bone pick. While I was playing today, I kept hearing this loud "tinking" sound. I thought maybe I was hitting the pickup or something was really loose on the guitar.

Then I realized my pick was "tinking" against the lower edge of the pickup tray. That just seems to be the sweet spot where I like to attack the strings. I'm sure I will adjust soon enough. I think the main difference is going between a carved top and a flat top guitar.

Thanks for the feedback. I feel better now.
ThreePeace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I play Teles as my main guitars at the moment, but a Les Paul is always a close second.
2 main issues between the two are:
1- My LP is HEAVY! about 12 lbs. But that's part of the LP charm, it certainly contribute the tone and its inherent toughness.
2- My Tele have a longer scale length, but very comfortable while the LP scale do seem noticeably shorter.
ttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Telefied

I have 2 Les Pauls and 2 Teles switch back and forth all the time.

I dont play my Teles or any guitar way back by the bridge.

I'm alwaays up around the neck pickup area.

Old October 15th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:

When I read the first part of your post I immediately thought of what you described because I have found myself doing it since I got my first Tele last month. I must strum in the same way as you do as I am constantly clipping the corner of the ashtray bridge.

Old October 15th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadzab View Post

I got the impression that it was more an observation than a complaint.

Old October 15th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I just got my LP back from a refret. It was there since late May. I can't get used to playing it, having played my Tele an Strat exclusively for so long.

I'm certain time will cure this. But, I do miss both the feel and tone of my Tele (and Strat to a lesser degree).

I forgot how heavy the LP was and the shorter scale neck is causing me a little grief with bends. I'll get used to the scale faster than the added weight.

And, yes... The whole 4 knob thing is driving me a little nuts.

I love my LP. And, I missed it while it was gone. But, during that time, I really became attached to my Tele and Strat.

Don't even get me started on the amp settings?!?!?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

Old October 15th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You need one of these!

http://thebridge-works.com/Fender-Te...e-P558677.aspx
thinling is offline   Reply With Quote