NGD Modern Player Thinline Custom w/P90's - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 27th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

NGD Modern Player Thinline Custom w/P90's

All I can say is wow! What a monster! I have been playing for 25 years and have, and have had, all kinds of monster guitars. From Vintage to custom shops! IMHO the only thing wrong with this guitar is it's made in China! That's silly, I know, but it's a life time of conditioning! But that's my own problem! This guitar was fit right from the box! I fell in love with it's good looks first, then noticed the form! PERFECT!!! I got the trans black. I have a vintage '72 thinline and the blade selector is always in my way! I always hit it and get that lovely "pop" through the amp...lol I have always been a fan of the '74 Custom layout like my les paul!!! Now this MONSTER combo of a thinline custom WITH P90's is just soooo exciting! This guitar is sooooo light! I feel every vibration in the neck and the body! I still can't believe I only paid $399 for it, oh yeah, it's made in CHINA!!! argh! The P90's are ok, but I am gonna throw some Lollar P90's in it and swap the pots out, and even with that upgrade I am still under $700 for a guitar that is as much fun to play as it is to look at and hear! I really think this will be one of those revered classics down the road. Trust me, I am not one of those guys who is like "oh, well this is all you really need cuz I can't afford anything else so I want to make myself feel better about my guitar!" kinda guys! LOL I have been a vintage and custom shop snob for decades now! LOL Any way, what a great freakin' guitar!

Lewddude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

congrats...that guitar, in that exact color is on the top of my GAS list right now.
JohnK24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thats great. Have they done something different with the top of the pickguard? Looks good!

http://www.facebook.com/bluesr
Steve G is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Looks great. Enjoy. I do understand what you mean about the MIC thing though. I have a superb Epiphone Nighthawk, and if it said Gibson on the headstock it would probably be my main guitar. Damn my snobbery and prejudice. I should be ashamed of myself. Actually I am, but only a little.

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
Thats great. Have they done something different with the top of the pickguard? Looks good!
The only thing I can see different is the tab that sticks out by the volume knobs was rounded down a bit more than the traditional thinline pick guard. It's pretty darn close. I think it just looks different because of the Custom layout on a thinline guard! lol

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats! The only reason I didn't buy one was that the neck was just not quite right for me. Those are really nice guitars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
'tone is in the underpants'
e-merlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK24 View Post
congrats...that guitar, in that exact color is on the top of my GAS list right now.
Thank you! and what are you waiting for??? there is a $50 instant rebate from Fender til July 31!!! I used it towards the HSC.

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesHound View Post
Looks great. Enjoy. I do understand what you mean about the MIC thing though. I have a superb Epiphone Nighthawk, and if it said Gibson on the headstock it would probably be my main guitar. Damn my snobbery and prejudice. I should be ashamed of myself. Actually I am, but only a little.
Yeah, I have the same snobbery issue! LOL So bad that when my 8 year old son played his first gig I bought him a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top cuz I could not bare to buy the Epiphone....lol Oh well! He loves his Gibby, and he is now gonna be 10 in December and is amazing his friends and family! but this Tele is really that good! Not to get too far off topic here is my 9 year old son playing the lead for walk dont run with his Grandfather on Bass, and I on rhythm. 3 Generations on one stage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgGhw...e_gdata_player

Old June 27th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Congrats. I have one of these in the burst finish and LOVE it. I thought I would swap out the stock pups - but it hasn't happened :) Stock it's just fine for me!
InfiniteRhino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteRhino View Post
Congrats. I have one of these in the burst finish and LOVE it. I thought I would swap out the stock pups - but it hasn't happened :) Stock it's just fine for me!
Hey, don't get me wrong! The stock pups are just fine, but once you get that lollar flavor fever!!! lol They are clearer, fatter, and more responsive than even the Gibson P90's in my Historic Les Paul. So nothing against the stock pups, but my snobbery won't allow it! lol The stock pups will go in the lollar box and put on a shelf.

Old June 27th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Nice! Congrats!
electrablue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Congrats! The black finish looks really great in that picture.
stephenyi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenyi View Post
Congrats! The black finish looks really great in that picture.
and it looks even better in person! the picture does not show any of the depth this color combo has!

Old June 27th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

That's the first picture of that finish I have seen that looks really nice -- congrats.

The inevitable question: "What are the necks like on these?"

http://www.youtube.com/Hoodrio
Hoodster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The necks are pretty thin. Comparable to the Squier CV tele line.
stephenyi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenyi View Post
The necks are pretty thin. Comparable to the Squier CV tele line.
True it is thin! but it feels good! very smooth around the edges, and the yellow tint makes it sexy! LOL

Old June 27th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Bummer to hear about the neck on this guitar... If the neck was even slightly thicker than the CV line, I'd be very hard pressed to pass on this one. Looks really amazing in this finish.
decsnspace is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have to tell ya guys, the more time I spend with this guitar the more I fall in love with it! I was all set to swap the pups for lollars, and I am really starting to think I am gonna just leave it alone! I spent 3 hours tonight plugged into my tube screamer into my '65 princeton reverb, and it needs NOTHING! I can't believe what is coming out of this Made In China guitar! Ugh! I am in complete disbelief!!! How is this possible??? I am gonna make a video so you can hear for yourselves!!!

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I got the 3TSB version about a month ago -- love it. Plays and sounds great. One of the true steals in the Fender line.
tape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Nice!!
I've played one in a shop for an hour or so, the best Tele i have ever played. If the piggy band had only let me!!
But there's food and rent and stupid bills and.........
stinkey is offline   Reply With Quote