The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

NGD: Squier Bullet Telecaster HH Blackout FSR & review

After asking about this guitar here, there wasn't a lot of feedback about it. So, I went ahead and ordered one from Musicians Friend. The guitar arrived today and survived UPS. Barely. But, I digress.

It is manufactured in the Indonesian Court factory. These are the same folks that brought us the Squire 51, which I think the guitar most closely resembles. The frets are the same as on my '51 and the humbuckers look and sound identical. Pulling out a DMM, I measured the pickups which revealed the DCR similarities. The Squire 51 humbucker measures 9.45K, Bullet Tele neck measures 9.7K and the Bullet bridge pup measures 9.2K. Through my Egnater Tweaker, the sonic character convinces me that the pickups share the same lineage. The switch is a three way and the pots have a good taper.

The middle switch position is especially sweet with a nice balance of highs and lows. That position is great for clean tones with lots of Tele character shining through.

The Bullet neck is beefier that my 51, which I like a lot. The frets are standard "medium jumbo" fare and are nicely dressed. There are no dead spots and no sharp fret ends. The fretboard had no relief and was as straight as a laser beam. I loosened the truss rod 1/8th of a turn to add some relief.

The headstock lettering is silver. It does not have the small neck and thin body of an Affinity Tele. Mine tips the scale at 7 pounds, 7 ounces. You could take this instrument out of the box, tune it up and gig with it. I am that impressed.

DADGAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

These look really cool. I love cheap guitars!

Old April 27th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Very nice, DADGAD!! Congrats and enjoy!!
Andy Summers is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 30th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

They're selling black slotted post tuners and I'm wondering if You can just drop them without anyother modification???
Looks like it'll make for a great Jazz Box too.

Old March 19th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I loaded mine with a Gibson dog eared p90 at the bridge, and a Gibson humbucker at the neck. I like the neck, it's just right for me (fatter than the affinity tele's).

I don't recommend routing a guitar this way, i used an xacto knife and a wood chisel, you should use a router or dremmel and a proper template guide.

Though I did mask and score the initial cut with an xacto knife, the edge of the original finish that I cut into is still rough, but I'm OK with it. I'm not trying to be a luthier.

note: I only needed to rout the dog ears and the ends of the pickup. "On this particular guitar" the original humbucker routs fit the p90 cover perfectly, a little tight, but it fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	031713_N9371.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	172122   Click image for larger version

Name:	031713_N9319.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	172124   Click image for larger version

Name:	031713_N9340.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	172125  

Name:	031713_N9374.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	172126   Click image for larger version

Name:	031713_N9344.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	172127  

Last edited by a2z9r7; March 19th, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
a2z9r7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

You could make a Cabronita-esque guitar out of that on the cheap
ifallalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

final mods: red chicken head knobs and older style nickel saddles, (replaced strings with DA flatwound chrome 11's)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	040913_DSCN8430.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	175723   Click image for larger version

Name:	040913_N8429.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	175724  

Old April 9th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Wow, those red knobs are awesome on there! I generally dislike red on black color schemes, but this is soooo cool! Reminds me of my Black Russian muff.
tacomamc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I could talk Russian muff all day
bigjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Nice!

Congrats!

"If it ain't broke, Mod it till it is"
"Born at the junction of form and function...It's the Hammer of the Honky Tonk Gods"
msfenderarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, after going through so many guitars, I'm really having fun and settled with modding, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but i'm hooked on it. Everyone has a different perception of it and it's great to see everyones ideas.

I ordered the knobs from guitar parts resource, they have lots of colors if you don't like red....(in case you want a different color for your muff, haha)..the chicken head idea i got from Barney Kessel on youtube, made sense to me...

In regards to this guitar stock, I think it's great value, especially for modding. The one youtube video I saw of someone playing this guitar stock through a mustang I sounded good enough in my opinion.

I wasn't crazy about the black at first, but after working out the colors I'm totally into it now. Funny thing is my other Tele is white and I love that too, hahaha!

cheers everyone (and yeah! Grant Green, count me in...)