Thin Tele Body - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 7th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thin Tele Body

I am going to build a new Tele soon but would like to use a thinner body, maybe around 1.5" thick rather than the standard 1.75". Anyone know where I can get one, that won't cost me too much?

Thanks!

highwaycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Older standard Squier bodies are thinner if I remember correctly. Cheap as chips on ebay.

Old April 7th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Unless I am mistaken the Squier Standards are 1&3/4" thick. I had one and that is how thick it was. It is the Squier Affinity Tele that is 1&1/2" thick. I suggest searching the threads here and check out how or if that affects the neck pocket in regards as to final relation to saddle and bridge height etc.
Telegator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 7th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

in the beginning, all was formless and void, and the Leo moved his hand upon the pine, and said, "let there be Twang".... and the Evening and morning were the first day.....

and back then the bodies ranged ANYWHERE between 1.5 and 1 7/8 inches... so as long as yours falls between those two extremes, it's dead on perfect...

I love sayin' that 'cause it drives the OCD crowd absolutely nutz....

Youze nay sayers.. go getcha a copy of Nacho's book 'n check fer yerseff.

Ron Kirn

take a peek at my new offering....
http://ronkirn.com/blackie.htm
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkirn View Post
in the beginning, all was formless and void, and the Leo moved his hand upon the pine, and said, "let there be Twang".... and the Evening and morning were the first day.....

and back then the bodies ranged ANYWHERE between 1.5 and 1 7/8 inches... so as long as yours falls between those two extremes, it's dead on perfect...

I love sayin' that 'cause it drives the OCD crowd absolutely nutz....

Youze nay sayers.. go getcha a copy of Nacho's book 'n check fer yerseff.

Ron Kirn
Enjoying the Malt, Senor Ron?

Wasn't aware Nacho went addressed the OPs Q in his book....

Old April 7th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegator View Post
Unless I am mistaken the Squier Standards are 1&3/4" thick. I had one and that is how thick it was. It is the Squier Affinity Tele that is 1&1/2" thick. I suggest searching the threads here and check out how or if that affects the neck pocket in regards as to final relation to saddle and bridge height etc.
Thanks TG, brainfart here.

Old April 7th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
I suggest searching the threads here and check out how or if that affects the neck pocket in regards as to final relation to saddle and bridge height etc.
If the quarter inch is taken off the backside, it won't effect a thing.....

but remember the switch, if a good one, requires a hole a least 1 3/8 + deep... that doesn't leave much before your router bit finds open air out the back side...and that WILL effect a lot, specially language...

and yeah.... love those Scots..

rk

take a peek at my new offering....
http://ronkirn.com/blackie.htm
Ronkirn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Just measured an affinity body I have lying around here - neck pocket is indeed 5/8" depth, control cavity is exactly 1 3/8".
Sasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I think Red Dirt guitars has some bodies that are 1 1/2" thick.
I just made a cherry wood tele body at 1 1/2" thickness to try and curb some of the weight. I still think the body only will be about 6 pounds...
bullfrogblues is offline   Reply With Quote