Treating a rosewood board.... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Treating a rosewood board....

So what are some thoughts on treating or conditioning rosewood fretboards? I know people that treat their boards every so often with different oils. I've heard some say they use boiled lindseed oil. Others say teak oil, tung oil, lemon oil and just plain ole mineral oil.

I've never treated any of the boards on any electric or acoustic guitar. I've always been of the thinking that regular playing of the guitar would deposit oils and such from your hands and fingers. Perhaps this isn't sufficient "oiling" of the fretboard...I dunno. It seems to me that rosewood, being a porous wood, would tend to get a bit soggy or sumpthin from applying too much oil to it. But I'm occasionally dead wrong about such things.

Anybody oil their boards? If so, how often and what do you use?

Funk

Funkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer using plant based oils on my rosewood fretboards. I use this brand...here's a link. You'll get a lot of different opinions on the subject. I just prefer using what I think is the best product out there...plus, it will darken rosewood nicely.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Mark V Guitars
Mark V Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I always use lemon oil... Old English brand or anything similar,that you can get at a hardware store. I apply it two or three times a year. Apply liberally, let sit wet for 15 minutes or so,... wipe of with old tee shirt.
Rod Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The purpose of oiling a board is to protect the wood from such things as sweat. So, sweat is NOT a sufficient method of protecting your fret board, it's quite the opposite.

When you apply lemon oil or linseed oil you are simply applying it than quickly removing it. Despite popular believe you Do not want to let the liquid sit on the board for longer than a few seconds. You can treat your board (depending on where you live) about twice a year.

You'll see the difference between a treated and non-treated board, because the non-treated, or thirsty, board will have a lighter color than normal. A treated board looks darker, and feels smoothe. Your board should never be wet or spongy...
Jvm210Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Btw lemon oil DOES NOT CONTAIN lemon juice, it just smells like lemons. Do not use home cleaning products containing lemon oil, ONLY use specic products for the use of treating rosewood fretboards..
Jvm210Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

If you search the forum you will find hundreds of posts with thoughts on the topic.

In my opinion more damage has been done to rosewood fretboards by the application of oils or other unnecessary treatments than by doing nothing. I've spent a lot of time cleaning up vintage necks that people "oiled." For the vast majority of guitars throughout most of the world, there is no need to treat a rosewood fretboard. However, if you live in Furnace Creek, Death Valley and store your guitar in the attic, I guess you might have a legitimate argument for such treatments. Maybe.
slack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've always used boiled linseed oil. I let it sit a few minuets then wipe it off with a clean soft cloth. First though, I clean the board with naptha (lighter fluid). That's what Dan Erlwine recommendes...
rockinstephen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I don't think it's needed other than for aesthetic purposes. It tends to darken the fretboard somewhat for a while giving it that aged patina.
BLAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I use real rosewood oil. And it makes it smell fantastic. I found it online, a small bottle will last a lifetime.
bullfrogblues is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Boiled linseed oil. I dampen a cotton cloth with it and use it to clean the fret board of grime, let the oil sit for a few minutes, then buff it off. Have done this to my 1966 Mustang since I bought it in 1980. That board looks and plays great, and will outlast me!
t-ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I treat mine once every 40 years whether they need it or not.

Seriously, I never treated the rosewood on my '58 Gretsch New Yorker archtop acoustic and Fender Mustang until I read about it online about 15 years ago. I used plain mineral oil. Didn't notice any significant difference. Of course, here in the NYC area it's usually reasonably humid. I have heard that in very dry parts of the country, it might be more necessary.
dangerine49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

https://www.google.com/#q=rosewood+o...w=1024&bih=568
bullfrogblues is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

Lemon oil. Use as little as possible. I regularly clean my fingerboards, use 0000 steel wool, but still only will oil them once a year.
Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvm210Guy View Post
The purpose of oiling a board is to protect the wood from such things as sweat. So, sweat is NOT a sufficient method of protecting your fret board, it's quite the opposite....
Well I wasn't really referring to sweat...I was referring to the natural oils that human skin secretes. I've heard before that regular playing of fretted instruments would naturally treat the wood. However, when you think about it, it would take a hell of a lot of playing and hell of a lot of "human oil" to get er done.

Funk
Funkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Nothing wrong with a good cleaning, but a little bit of oil goes a long way, a little bit, and lasts a long time. Some folks over do their oiling of the board and it will collect under the frets, not good. Just a bit on a towel should be more than enough. I may oil my J-45 once every two years... I said MAY oil every two years. Again, a little bit goes a long way.
FrankMc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Cleaning with Dunlop lemon oil made my fingerboards feel very stiff - ebony on a Les Paul and also a tele with rosewood plus an Epi SG.

Sux - I actually had to lube my fingertips with super-light oil on each guitar to get everything playing smoothly again & do Blues bends properly.

Guess I overdid it. The lesson here would probably be - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Too much cleaning will make the fretboard feel stiff.
Bartholomew3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

coconut oil.
seriously.
Frontier9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm
E Baxter Put is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogblues View Post
clicked on the link and this is what came up, twice.

Ad - Why this ad?

Rosewood Hotels & Resorts | rosewoodhotels.com
www.rosewoodhotels.com/
Luxury Hotels & Resorts Offering One-of-a-Kind Ambiance & Style.
Special Offer - More Rosewood
Hotels & Resorts Rosewood Weddings
Rosewood Gift Cards

Search Results

Rosewood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood
Rosewood refers to any of a number of richly hued timbers, often brownish with darker veining, but found in many different hues. All rosewoods are strong and ...
Rosewood massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood_massacre
The Rosewood massacre was a violent, racially motivated conflict that took place during the first week of January 1923 in rural Levy County, Florida, United ...
fine woodworking school Rosewood Studio
www.rosewoodstudio.com/
instruction in fine woodworking in Perth, Ontario, Canada.
Rosewood (1997) - IMDb
www.imdb.com/title/tt0120036/
Rating: 7.0/10 - 4,477 votes
A dramatization of a 1923 horrific racist lynch mob attack on an African American community.
Directed by John Singleton. Starring Jon Voight, Ving Rhames.
Luxury Hotels & Resorts | Rosewood Hotels & Resorts | 5 Star ...
www.rosewoodhotels.com/ - United States
Rosewood Hotels & Resorts features a distinctive collection of luxury hotels and resorts. Rosewood offers 5 star hotels, luxury vacation villas, beach resorts and ...
ROSEWOOD.
www.goodmusic-blog.com/
ROSEWOOD. RSS Archive. March 12, 2012. Download: tAz Arnold- rAd americA (Mixtape). 4:04pm | URL: http://tmblr.co/ZhBjXyHtx_cy (View comments) ...
Eco Adventure Travel, Luxury Wilderness Lodge: King Pacific Lodge ...
www.kingpacificlodge.com/
King Pacific Lodge, A Rosewood Resort, Princess Royal Island, Great Bear Rainforest ... Privacy Policy, Employment, Shop Rosewood Media Library Site Map ...
Rosewood Bistro - fine dining in Mississauga - brought to you by ...
www.rosewoodbistro.ca/index2.html
Rosewood Bistro - fine dining in Mississauga, Rosewood Bistro - brought to you by whatsUP.ca.
Rosewood Estates Winery
www.rosewoodwine.com/
February marked a new event at Rosewood the Month of Mead. Every weekend showcased unique mead and food pairings (Mead & Cupcakes anyone?) ...
Rosewood Victoria Inn - Vancouver Island Condos & Resorts ...
www.aviawest.com/destinations/rosewood-victoria
A short two blocks from the famous Inner Harbour, the Rosewood Victoria Inn embodies old-English style as a unique Aviawest Club destination. Start each day ...

Searches related to rosewood

rosewood furniture

rosewood wood

rosewood movie

rosewood essential oil

rosewood oil

rosewood pet products

rosewood timber

rosewood pretty little liars
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Advanced searchSearch HelpGive us feedbackGo to Google.com
Google Home‎Advertising Programs‎Business Solutions‎Privacy & Terms‎

Old March 28th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Lemon oil, probably once a year.
dan79 is offline   Reply With Quote