updating the wiring of a tele - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

updating the wiring of a tele

so playing around with my sx furrian i quickly noticed that the volume and tone controls are less than desirable (i've heard they use 500k pots?), and the highs really get cut out at low volumes, so i was thinking of going for a rewiring of some sort. i replaced the neck pickup and i like the bridge pickup, so those can stay (although i think the bridge pickup has grounding issues? it makes noise when i tap it with my finger and hitting anywhere on the guitar sounds like there is a piezo pickup in there...).

any suggestions on the wiring i do? i was thinking something like a treble bleed circuit, but i could also try to throw in serial wiring if my squier 51' build doesn't happen soon enough.

Last edited by twiggymac; February 22nd, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
twiggymac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

IMHO, SX guitars are an ideal modding platform. I put new pickups, pots and switch in mine, and it sounds fine.
el cheapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

yea i really love the guitar! the neck feels great, the body and finish are great, and the hardware isn't too bad (already changed the tuners). so you say go with standard wiring? i suppose i could do that first and THEN see if i want to do a treble bleed circuit, i just havnt done one yet.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hey, I'm currently modding an SX tele too. Made a thread about it here. I talked to a luthier before doing the mods and he told me that since I was putting on a humbucker I would have to buy some 500K pots because the ones in the tele would be 250K. But they were in fact 500K as you say. No idea why?!

And now I get told from several sources that I would probably have prefered 250K on my current setup :/

Anyway I need to replace the existing circuit with a socalled greasebucket circuit. Supposedly it provides a somewhat more useful tone control. One can also try out different values of caps in the existing circuit. Lot's of options so I recommend doing some research before changing the existing circuit.

Ah and el cheapo: did you change the switch? Did that make a difference in the SOUND? It never occured to me to change that one too actually...
aniss1001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

hey aniss, there really isn't a certain component you "need" to have for a setup, but rather what you choose for the tone you want. i think that 500k pots produce brighter tones than 250k pots, which is why muddier humbuckers get them over sparkly single coil pickups. also any and every component (even if they arent utilized in a certain pickup configuration) will have some effect to the tone. u.s. quality switches, output jacks, pots, and components are generally accepted as being good (within higher tolerances) but it really matters to what you hear.

i know a good amount about guitar circuitry, but i havn't implemented alot of them which is why im asking people for suggestions. treble bleed sounds pretty sweet, but personally none of my other guitars seem muddy at low volumes (that being said, neither have tone controls) so i wouldn't know how good a mod it is.

keep up the mods! im sure a qualified luthier should help a little bit more than a me who has read thousands of pages of different guitar forum posts =)

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggymac View Post
so you say go with standard wiring?
If you check out the resources on the TDPRI home page, there are several wiring schemes. I tried the 60's wiring first, because it was easy to do. It sounded good to me. I later converted my SX guitar to an Esquire, using Rob Distefano's wiring diagram. Very satisfied with it now.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniss1001 View Post
Ah and el cheapo: did you change the switch? Did that make a difference in the SOUND? It never occured to me to change that one too actually...
I picked up my SX used, and changed everything out at the same time. The switch seemed scratchy when I got it, so I cleaned it out and stuck it in my parts drawer. I used Alpha pots/switch I got from GFS, and they are better quality than the originals. If your switch sounds ok you might try it for a while, then replace it when needed and compare the sound.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggymac View Post
hey aniss, there really isn't a certain component you "need" to have for a setup, but rather what you choose for the tone you want. i think that 500k pots produce brighter tones than 250k pots, which is why muddier humbuckers get them over sparkly single coil pickups. also any and every component (even if they arent utilized in a certain pickup configuration) will have some effect to the tone. u.s. quality switches, output jacks, pots, and components are generally accepted as being good (within higher tolerances) but it really matters to what you hear.

i know a good amount about guitar circuitry, but i havn't implemented alot of them which is why im asking people for suggestions. treble bleed sounds pretty sweet, but personally none of my other guitars seem muddy at low volumes (that being said, neither have tone controls) so i wouldn't know how good a mod it is.

keep up the mods! im sure a qualified luthier should help a little bit more than a me who has read thousands of pages of different guitar forum posts =)
I honestly knew nothing of guitar circuitry before I started this mod. And didn't think much about untill I had installed the new pup and pots and I didn't find the tone control very good at all. It doesn't cut enough treble untill the tone knob is around 2 at which point it sounds like the amp is wrapped in plastic or something.

From what you said I would have been happier with 250K pots. I don't like a bright tone at all. I want a mellow, round, fat and warm tone for jazz. I use .012 strings but still I don't like the sound of the higher strings (in particular the E string). I current play with the tone knob around 2 and pretty much the treble on my amp on cero to mellow out the higher strings which off course makes the lower strings sound too muddy. This is why I wanna change to the greasebucket circuit. It doesn't increase the lows when rolling of the highs. And generally it should give a better tone control for my needs it seems. Anaway it's worth a try.

It does annoy me a bit though that the luthier simply told me to buy 500K pots instead of advicing me to do some research bearing in mind that I want a mellow dark jazzy tone rather than a bright twangy one. Sort of the whole purpose of putting on the neck PAF humbucker. Only NOW he tells me that 250K would be better. These DiMarzio pots where quite expensive here (like 13 bucks each) and I can't get them where I live. I bought them in Buenos Aires which is like 10 hours from here..

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

keep in mind you can always try 300k pots aniss! and el cheapo i'll check out that 60's wiring and some others too on seymore duncan, i just want some opinions from people (especially some circuit for keeping my highs at low volume). hey i might even take a look at that greasebucket circuit, and then maybe a push pull for phase switching!

hey keep em' coming, i'd love to see what else people like!

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo View Post
I picked up my SX used, and changed everything out at the same time. The switch seemed scratchy when I got it, so I cleaned it out and stuck it in my parts drawer. I used Alpha pots/switch I got from GFS, and they are better quality than the originals. If your switch sounds ok you might try it for a while, then replace it when needed and compare the sound.
OK! Like I said that never occurred to me. And I have no idea whether the current switch is messing up the sound. Nothing to compare it to. But since I don't use the stock bridge pup at all (it sounds truly awful) I'm now considering bypassing the switch entirely and wiring the neck pup directly to the tone circuit. Dunno...

In the future though I will change the bridge pup too. Thinking about this one. When I do that I will mod the controls and circuitry completely. I would like to have a tone knob for each pup and a "blend" knob for mixing the pups as I please. Anyone has an idea how complicated such a mod would be?

Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
In the future though I will change the bridge pup too. Thinking about this one. When I do that I will mod the controls and circuitry completely. I would like to have a tone knob for each pup and a "blend" knob for mixing the pups as I please. Anyone has an idea how complicated such a mod would be?
Best place for questions like this is over at Just Pickups section of the forum.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Check out ACME Guitar Works. Interesting options there.
gwjensen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Hey, I'm currently modding an SX tele too. Made a thread about it here. I talked to a luthier before doing the mods and he told me that since I was putting on a humbucker I would have to buy some 500K pots because the ones in the tele would be 250K. But they were in fact 500K as you say. No idea why?!

And now I get told from several sources that I would probably have prefered 250K on my current setup :/

Anyway I need to replace the existing circuit with a socalled greasebucket circuit. Supposedly it provides a somewhat more useful tone control. One can also try out different values of caps in the existing circuit. Lot's of options so I recommend doing some research before changing the existing circuit.

If you like the POT you could put a 500k resistor in parallel and you'd have an effective 0-250k sweep. No real downside.

Sometimes I think it's better to start with a 500k POT. The 250k ones often measure in much lower and then you are stuck with something too low.
nicer is offline   Reply With Quote