The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Main Telecaster Forum > Telecaster Discussion Forum
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Telecaster Discussion Forum The world's largest Fender Telecaster Discussion Forum. Please keep discussion limited to Telecaster topics here.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 15th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Cheap Noname teles on Ebay

Was doing the normal trawl on the internet for cheap teles and found these things. Just made me think of a mod platform. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60s-Teleca...item2a18eebd00

G.P.H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've been looking at the same thing. My issue was quality, as in what's the fretting like etc but I guess you don't know unless you try!

For the price of a Squier Affinity they look very tempting!
rotheryrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Do they have a store where you can go to try them?
Glen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

it's interesting that in the UK, they are allowed to call cheap copies Telecasters ... i checked Ebay UK, and you can buy a Squier for close to that price ... and chances are the Squier is a better guitar ...

Old February 15th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

One gets what one pays for (hopefully).
3 Chord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Those guitars have some charactaristics that remind me of the SX line sold in the US by Rondo Music (which I think are pretty decent for the money and can become very good with a little more effort and $).

The color selections and features also remind me of Fender style copies that used to be sold in the UK by "The Music King" if I remember correctly. I don't know if they are even in business any more - haven't been able to find their old website but they carried some nice looking F copieswith vintage specs in great colors. IIRC, TDPRI member Fatmanstratman had one several years back. Maybe he'll see this and chime in........

Old February 15th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Poster Extraordinaire

You would think that they would find one that was not missing the switch tip for the picture...
Mike Simpson is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Simpson View Post
You would think that they would find one that was not missing the switch tip for the picture...

Another point reminiscent of Rondo lol !

Old February 18th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

If you go to their website, they are selling these for the same price but FREE postage in UK. Saving you 19. I wondered about trying these too for a mod platform. Has anybody taken the plunge?
bananafist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

A friend of mine bought one of the sunburst Teles,it was the exact same guitar as the Jim Deacon that he owns except for the lack of a headstock logo and through body stringing.The Jim Deacon retails at about 120.SX are branded as Jim Deacon in UK,my own J.D Tele came in a SX gig bag,inside an SX box inside a J.D box.
shorty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 03:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Simpson View Post
None of the other teles shown in the seller's shop have a tip either. I think that bit may cost extra.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty1 View Post
A friend of mine bought one of the sunburst Teles,it was the exact same guitar as the Jim Deacon that he owns except for the lack of a headstock logo and through body stringing.The Jim Deacon retails at about 120.SX are branded as Jim Deacon in UK,my own J.D Tele came in a SX gig bag,inside an SX box inside a J.D box.
Interesting - and as I said earlier wondered if there was an SX connection (probably contracted to build with the same manufacturer, I suspect).

Have you heard of the UK retailer "the Music King" and if so are they still in business? They used to offer some really nice looking tele and strat copies ( with model names like "The 52", The 57", "The 62", etc.), full vintage specs and hardware, and in a pretty large variety of vintage colors - like sonic blue, seafoam green, white blonde, CAR, LPB, Dakota Red, Ice Blue Metallic, and (monaco?)yellow IIRC. I remember their descriptions specifically mentioning that they came with no headstock logo "so one could more easily add a custom logo." Can't find a reference to them on the web anymore.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I havent heard of "The Music King" but i'll wager that they are the same as these.

http://www.gamlinsmusic.co.uk/musica...rs/jim-deacon/

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
I havent heard of "The Music King" but i'll wager that they are the same as these.

Thanks shorty1,
Probably so - don't see specs for fretboard radius though. MK were 7.25"

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The music king went into administration about a year ago.
rotheryrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thought that probably was the case - thanks, rotheryrules.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The ONLY thing that i dont care for on my J.D tele is the frets,they are HUGE.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:

shorty1 - don't bother entering the Lottery this weekend....

Nope - the "Music King" Teles were far superior (from the pics on your link, at least) to the 99 Jim Deacon version. Better finish (nice grain pattern just visible through the butterscotch), 6 saddle bridge (very similar in size/dimesions to the American Series at the time, and which - unlike the Jim Deacon - was string-thru), slimmer & unbranded headstock, decent hardware - in fact, a pretty nice guitar all round.

I have just been for a short break over to Cortijo Fatman, where I keep two of my "cheapo" Teles. One of them is my Music King "The 52", into which I installed a GFS wide range humbucker-alike in the neck. Stays in tune, fretwork superb, and nice to play - with loads of sustain.

If anything, I suspect these guitars were being sold a bit TOO cheap, hence the financial demise of The Music King. Shame, because I now regret not buying one of their bound "The 62" Teles while I had the chance....

Here's a few pics of her still in the box....

Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

If you want a REALLY cheap Tele....

By the way.... if you want a REALLY cheap Tele, you could do far worse than try one of these from Thomann....CLICK HERE FOR LINK.

If its modding you're into, you'll do well to find a cheaper platform than these. They also do them in black (both the SB & black ones have ply bodies). I bought one of the white ones CLICK HERE which are a now few quid more because they supposedly have an "ash" body (yeah, right....). When I bought mine, it was the same price as the SB & black ones.

That also now resides at Cortijo Fatman, and was converted to an Esquire. I refinished the neck with button polish (looks fantastic), added a vintage style bridge, decent tuners, decent bridge pickup, new electrics all round, new electrosocket... yep - basically, to make them really nice you have to throw a few bob at them, but you do NOT have to worry about "spoiling" a nice guitar by doing mods. Anything you do can only improve them. For around 100 or so, I ended up with a nice guitar which plays well and is fun to pick up as a "beater".

Fantastic for anyone who wants to learn about modding/finishing/upgrading without worrying about spoiling a valuable instrument. Highly recommended cheap fun!....

They always say "There's no fool like an old fool", and here's the proof with an old fool fooling around with the modded Harley Benton "Esquire" in the shade of the vines. I'm not quite sure who I'm shooting that rather foul look at - probably one of the locals was rolling with laughter listening to my atrocious English music.....

Mrs. Fatman would probably say that I've always got that look on my face....

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Ah, Fatmanstratman - I thought I had correctly remembered you had one of those Music King models. About that same time I was extensively modding a pair of SX's to build Esquire clones with all vintage hardware, etc. and remember your posts about your Harley Benton project. BTW, I was new here and you were very helpful (which I greatly appreciated!). I also recall your posts and others about the MK models and thinking I liked their vintage specs and color selections better than the SX's.

Anyway, getting back to this thread.......don't know if you looked at the link posted by the OP and the other models that seller is offering - they look a lot like the Music King models from what I recall......but more expensive, I think.